• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

Have you tried hand mudras with meditation? I've noticed that my senses pick up different things like smells with different mudras.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 Barnstock

Barnstock

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

Long, long ago(back in the mid eighties), when Ninjutsu was all the rage, I picked up a book called Secrets of the Ninja by Ashida Kim. It had a whole section on meditation using mudra-like hand positions, and I practiced them diligently. This did seem to enhance my senses in regards to being able to read people's intent and mood, even when they were trying to hide it, as well as knowing when they were around corners, or approaching unseen. I used to wander around at night a lot, and this was pretty handy.

#3 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

This is an interesting topic.

Would anyone care to share more about it for those who aren't well acquainted with the practice?

Edited by Nikki, 11 March 2015 - 02:05 AM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#4 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

This is an interesting topic.

Would anyone are to share more about it for those who aren't well acquainted with the practice?

They are typically used in Eastern religions as a part of their spiritual practice. For example, they can be used during meditation to influence specific types of energies (prana- our life force). If you're familiar w/chakras, that's one way mudras are used. Different mudras can help open different chakras.

They can also be used as hand greetings/gestures in some areas of the world. Kind of like us holding waving to say hello or flipping someone the bird out of anger.

They can also be used for physical ailments kind of like Yoga. If you're familiar w/chakras and how they work within Yoga, mudras are used in a very similar way (and/or in conjunction w/yoga as well). In traditional Indian and Chinese medicine, they believe that each finger corresponds w/certain parts of the body and by either meditating w/mudras or doing yoga w/mudras, you can relieve physical ailments. They're also said to help focus your mind, increase your vital energy, deepen your meditation, deepen your spiritual practice, and help you learn how to direct energy. You could see how that might come in handy for some magical practitioners. Oh and it's def not "new age" since they've been around and used in that manner for thousands of years.

Some hold the belief that they are even more powerful than yoga postures (Asanas) and breathing exercises (Pranayamas) in that they can increase psychic abilities. Also something that can be beneficial to ones practice.

To take it a bit further, there are some practices that even have an association w/each finger like the elements, and even certain planets. I think it goes:
Thumb: Fire, Mars
Index: Air, Jupiter
Middle: Ether (spirit), Saturn
Ring: Earth, Venus
Pinkie: Water, Mercury
(and the "traditional" colors associated w/the elements as well, so thumb would be red, pinkie would be blue, etc.) *I think these are associated w/Indian medicine and Hinduism- I can't remember what the ones for TCM are/if they're the same. I'm guessing not.

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 10 March 2015 - 08:01 PM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#5 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I used to do a lot of Yoga and I still use many of their breathing exercises during meditation. I haven't incorporated mudras into my meditation practice, but I think I'm going to give it a try bc I know it can be very beneficial. My fingers and hands constantly feel like a low voltage electrical fence as it is, lol.

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 10 March 2015 - 08:05 PM.

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#6 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

They are typically used in Eastern religions as a part of their spiritual practice. For example, they can be used during meditation to influence specific types of energies (prana- our life force). If you're familiar w/chakras, that's one way mudras are used. Different mudras can help open different chakras. They can also be used as hand greetings/gestures in some areas of the world. Kind of like us holding waving to say hello or flipping someone the bird out of anger. They can also be used for physical ailments kind of like Yoga. If you're familiar w/chakras and how they work within Yoga, mudras are used in a very similar way (and/or in conjunction w/yoga as well). In traditional Indian and Chinese medicine, they believe that each finger corresponds w/certain parts of the body and by either meditating w/mudras or doing yoga w/mudras, you can relieve physical ailments. They're also said to help focus your mind, increase your vital energy, deepen your meditation, deepen your spiritual practice, and help you learn how to direct energy. You could see how that might come in handy for some magical practitioners. Oh and it's def not "new age" since they've been around and used in that manner for thousands of years. Some hold the belief that they are even more powerful than yoga postures (Asanas) and breathing exercises (Pranayamas) in that they can increase psychic abilities. Also something that can be beneficial to ones practice.To take it a bit further, there are some practices that even have an association w/each finger like the elements, and even certain planets. I think it goes:Thumb: Fire, MarsIndex: Air, JupiterMiddle: Ether (spirit), SaturnRing: Earth, VenusPinkie: Water, Mercury(and the "traditional" colors associated w/the elements as well, so thumb would be red, pinkie would be blue, etc.) *I think these are associated w/Indian medicine and Hinduism- I can't remember what the ones for TCM are/if they're the same. I'm guessing not.

Thank you for listing all of this. What I've used this far is where you interweave your hands together, like you're in deep thought. This provides a better frame of mind to concentrate. Others, like Saturn, make me feel energized.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#7 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

Thank you for listing all of this. What I've used this far is where you interweave your hands together, like you're in deep thought. This provides a better frame of mind to concentrate. Others, like Saturn, make me feel energized.

You're welcome! :)
You mean the one where your hand resembles a triangle?

#8 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

It's this one.

Attached Files

#9 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:31 AM

It's this one.

Ahhhh I gotcha! I was thinking it was this one: Posted Image

#10 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

Found this poking around on Google. Seems to help :smile:

http://www.eclectice...udra.php?num=13

Edited by Nikki, 11 March 2015 - 05:41 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#11 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

I found a bunch of Mudra books on Amazon, some free. There really is something to this Mudra stuff...I feel different energies depending on the Mudra.

#12 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:25 AM

I did the four basic ones from the link the Niki provided last night when I layed down and meditated. Sometimes I cheat and meditate while laying down and quite possibly I've been known to fall asleep a couple, or a few, or several, ok MANY times when I do that. :red_witch: Anyway, I stayed awake the entire time and noticed an immediate difference regarding the "flow" of energy- like an electrical current through my body, but each on a bit different than the other.

Now I'm def gonna give it a go w/some of the other ones during a "normal" instead of bedtime meditation.

#13 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

I did the four basic ones from the link the Niki provided last night when I layed down and meditated. Sometimes I cheat and meditate while laying down and quite possibly I've been known to fall asleep a couple, or a few, or several, ok MANY times when I do that. :red_witch: Anyway, I stayed awake the entire time and noticed an immediate difference regarding the "flow" of energy- like an electrical current through my body, but each on a bit different than the other.

Now I'm def gonna give it a go w/some of the other ones during a "normal" instead of bedtime meditation.

---

Found one that raises the body temp...

Attached Files

#14 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

---

Found one that raises the body temp...

+1
OMG I love you Izzie!! My body temperature runs quite a bit lower than it used to (going to the dr. at the end of the month bc we have a few ideas as to why, that I'm not exactly thrilled about) for going on near 2 years now. This is perfect for me!

#15 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

Does it matter which hand goes over what (like from which hand the thumb sticks out) and are you supposed to leave your thumb up the entire time?

#16 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

Does it matter which hand goes over what (like from which hand the thumb sticks out) and are you supposed to leave your thumb up the entire time?

---

It's the left thumb up. I find that the heat starts in your core and that's pretty cool. I stay freezing at work so I'll see if this helps if I do it sporadically . I'm glad I found it :)

#17 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:19 AM

I just started using some mudras in my spiritual practice, and there is definitely something to them. Some of them do nothing for me, and others I can really feel them. I got my mother started doing several used for healing (she's 87 and has a lot of little problems, and a few larger ones). It will be interesting to see if it helps her. There're also non-hand mudras, like the "third eye" staring thing (that one gives me a wicked headache).

M

#18 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

I use Mudras to instantly put me into a particular zone. The best one for me, I find, is where one palm is on top of and lying on the bottom palm, with the thumb tip joined but not pressing hard. I find that I can quickly go and maintain a state of or near state of 'emptly mind'.

#19 Eidolon

Eidolon

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Wow cool. I'll have to try this! I've tattooed different mudras on people before and they all have different meanings so it would make since they are associated with different energies. I've even unknowingly done weird things with my hands while meditating before not really even thinking of the concept of mudras.

#20 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

Just popping this topic back to life.

I use just a few hand mudras when meditating too, and it really helps. Thumb-to-index helps me to focus, to concentrate; thunb-to-middle finger helps me to center and to hold a mental position like when traveling OOB; thumb-to-ring finger helps to to ground when I'm done. Steepled fingers, like-to-like helps boost my energy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meditation, mudras, senses