40 replies to this topic

#21 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:31 AM

Someone once said they saw a past life and death of mine.... ( a talented someone)

Oddly, a part of my body that I protected for 'no reason' since childhood was THE area affected in my death.

For a second there, I was like, WOW now it all makes sense.

Stranger things have happened.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#22 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

I could possibly see it as a past life induced phobia is it was about specific places vices inspecific results, ie fire in general. When you look to the cases that are most cited for reincarnation and such they usually have a very specific nature about them. Recall of events, places, specific people, or people that may continue in the family or associated with the family.

I would be more inclined to think upon it if the person displayed such a phobia all of their lives vice something that manifests at a later stage of life. It's like for me personally one might say I died in a suffocation scenario as I have issues with enclosed spaces or tight spaces. That might even hold water if you are not aware of the fact I was trapped in a trunk by a babysitter when I was younger so she could run to the store and had started to turn blue when finally released by my parents. So there is a mundane reason that is hidden in my past but not a past life thing. As a shamanic practitioner that very incident plays havoc when I try to do certain sensory deprivation techniques to achieve journey / vision works. Which is another reason I have such difficulty blindly accepting all the past life influences people try to present as influences upon their current lives.

Now I do believe in the womb induced phobia's that result from the mother experiencing something while pregnant. Something which seems far more likely to be a cause for many phobia's people experience and suffer from than a past life emergence. My mom for instances blames herself for a phobia my sister has because of what happened while she was pregnant with her.

I would add that I'd think those people who are clinically dead and come back would have a higher amount of phobia's then if a previous life incident manifested in their current life as a phobia. Have seen no medical or scientific proof of them having higher phobia's.

This!! It is a lot more difficult to establish a phobia as the possible result of something in a past life when it's one that manifests later in life (and not to mention is often accompanied by even more phobias the longer it/they go untreated), than one that's always been there. I'm not necessarily saying it's not the reason bc it's possible (more inclined to think that way if you're born w/it) but if you know someone w/more than one phobia, they've been manifested in this life

and YES!!! to the in utero theory! You posted pretty much what I was gonna say. I'd also like to add birthing trauma to this. There are so many people I know for example, who are claustrophobic that were stuck in their mother's birth canal for longer than the norm and/or had some type of trauma during the delivery process and those phobias were manifested very early on.
I've read some fairly decent peer reviewed studies on it quite some time ago. I'm sure there's been even more since then (it was about 10yrs ago maybe) and now I feel a research project coming on...THANKS! :tongue:

Edited by bewitchingredhead, 10 March 2015 - 07:26 AM.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#23 LightBurner

LightBurner

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:06 AM

I think there's both the possibility of a past life trauma causing phobias in this lifetime, as well as the possibility of someone getting a trauma when they're younger, thus creating said trauma... both avenues are possible...

I have had the phobia of water... My mother had the most difficult time giving me a bath since I was a toddler... I would fight and push with my head, as to prevent my mom to wet and rinse my hair directly in the bath water... My mom eventually gave up and resorted to use a pitcher that she would fill with water and then wet/rinse my hair while I'd be in the sitting position (as opposed to laying down)...

What my mom didn't know is that every time I was in the bath, I could see the image of a man entering the bathroom, grabbing me by the arms, near the shoulders, and literally drowning me in the bathtub...

As I grew up, I avoided taking baths and resorted for the safety of showers lol...

The years passed and, I was already a mom when I decided to go see for myself if there was, in fact, past lives...

Well, it turns out I was drowned in my bath tub in a past life...

I'll spare you the details of the whole thing...

What I retain from that, as a positive outcome, is that I stopped fearing the bath tub from that day on...

Once you see things with the help of a hypnotist, you get to see the perspectives of everybody involved... you get to understand - although not condoning the action(s) - and to move on...

It's very liberating, to say the least! :wink:

Edited by LightBurner, 20 May 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#24 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

I think there's both the possibility of a past life trauma causing phobias in this lifetime, as well as the possibility of someone getting a trauma when they're younger, thus creating said trauma... both avenues are possible...

I have had the phobia of water... My mother had the most difficult time giving me a bath since I was a toddler... I would fight and push with my head, as to prevent my mom to wet and rinse my hair directly in the bath water... My mom eventually gave up and resorted to use a pitcher that she would fill with water and then wet/rinse my hair while I'd be in the sitting position (as opposed to laying down)...

What my mom didn't know is that every time I was in the bath, I could see the image of a man entering the bathroom, grabbing me by the arms, near the shoulders, and literally drowning me in the bathtub...

As I grew up, I avoided taking baths and resorted for the safety of showers lol...

The years passed and, I was already a mom when I decided to go see for myself if there was, in fact, past lives...

Well, it turns out I was drowned in my bath tub in a past life...

I'll spare you the details of the whole thing...

What I retain from that, as a positive outcome, is that I stopped fearing the bath tub from that day on...

Once you see things with the help of a hypnotist, you get to see the perspectives of everybody involved... you get to understand - although not condoning the action(s) - and to move on...

It's very liberating, to say the least! :wink:

Well doing Past Life Regression can help in such circumstances but not necessarily to the extent of removing the Phobia. Such Past Lives' Phobia can also be presented in a form of recurring bad dreams you having since childhood, in reality it may not be a Physical Phobia.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#25 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:58 PM

My wife had an interesting experience recently. She nannies a 4.5 month year old right now and 2 months ago when she started watching the baby it was having all these sleeping problems - it never wanted to sleep and it cried all the time. While trying to put the baby to sleep one day my wife was kinda swept up into a vision/journey where she saw a grown man with the babies face on it - she understood that this might be a past life or something similar of the babies.

Well, the man with the baby face was supposed to keep watch of his village, but he fell asleep on the job and his village was sacked during the night. My wife saw all this in the vision, and then she found the crying man who lost his village and comforted him. She was eventually able to bring him back to the babies body and blew it into him.

Since then the baby has been sleeping perfectly and even his parents remarked on the difference.

#26 Barsa

Barsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

My wife had an interesting experience recently. She nannies a 4.5 month year old right now and 2 months ago when she started watching the baby it was having all these sleeping problems - it never wanted to sleep and it cried all the time. While trying to put the baby to sleep one day my wife was kinda swept up into a vision/journey where she saw a grown man with the babies face on it - she understood that this might be a past life or something similar of the babies.

Well, the man with the baby face was supposed to keep watch of his village, but he fell asleep on the job and his village was sacked during the night. My wife saw all this in the vision, and then she found the crying man who lost his village and comforted him. She was eventually able to bring him back to the babies body and blew it into him.

Since then the baby has been sleeping perfectly and even his parents remarked on the difference.

what a wonderful experience! Your wife did the baby a major kindness and probably saved him from life long difficulties.

"Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing."

#27 Elaenior

Elaenior

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

'The hypothesis goes like this. The phobias you have in this life are the direct result of horrific situations you were exposed to in your past lives - most often situations which killed you. Someone who has a phobia for fire, using this hypothesis, does so because they either burned to death in a past life or suffered severely as a result of fire. I know it doesn't hold much water with some phobias, but the idea is quite interesting nonetheless.'

I am a strong believer in past lives and having been regressed it helped me to understand my phobia of fire and being extremely claustrophic. I don't, however, think that all phobias are caused from past life experiences, but I may be wrong.

#28 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

I am afraid of heights, and it's kind of weird--I can go up a ladder but get stuck at the top and can't go further, like for doing rope stuff in trees. I can overcome it on ladders if someone is there to help me up to the next level, but cannot seem to move my body to go either up or down in certain situations. Is the terror from a past life? I don't know. I've had dreams of past lives before, but none of them involved death by heights.

My oldest son was terrified of water when he was a baby, he hated having it poured on his head. I wonder if it came from a past life in that case (we resorted to baths where he'd dip his head under to rinse eventually, but when he was a tiny baby I had to give him sponge baths).

Edited by westofthemoon, 20 July 2016 - 06:24 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#29 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:57 PM

I'm super afraid of moths and I do not like butterflies either. Wonder what this means for my past life lol

#30 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

@ Kalinia- perhaps you were once a flower   :D .

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#31 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:00 AM

LOL!!!!  @oroboros 

I find the entire concept of phobias to be extremely interesting. I think a lot of them stem from childhood as well. 

#32 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:00 AM

I have a phobia of wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. If that's from a past life I never, ever, want to know the details.

#33 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:02 AM

Okay, well here is mine- sort of. I don't try to avoid heights.  In my mind I do not THINK I am afraid of heights.  I never had been in my life.  

Until one day I WAS.  I got stuck in my own damn attic when I was like 25ish. (14years ago)   Yep, one of those pull down ladders.  Went up to get something and when I tried to leave I was petrified, AND it felt like everytime I approached the opening my equilibrium failed.  It literally felt like the word was tilting.  I eventually sat on the floor of the attic and scooted my ass to the opening and was able to go down the ladder like that.  I could never approach that opening standing up again.  And from that time forward any abrupt drop off- even if Im not consciously thinking of it- the exact same thing happens, the world starts to tilt, panic, and I have almost fallen just because I did a funny jerking motion in response to the feeling that the world is tilting.

The ONLY thing I have been able to correlate this with is at that time I sustained a couple minor head injuries thanks to my now ex-husband.  So I don't know if there is a physical component, where my equilibrium really is a little jacked up OR a subconscious component that I just don't understand.  It was also right after the birth of my second child. But that sudden fear did start, out of the blue at that time.  

----------

The only fear that I seem to have always had- bats.  I actually think they are awesome.  But whenever I see one I am fully panicked and gripped by the mental image of it landing in my hair on the back of my head and me trying to pull it off and its little claws burrowing in and hanging on to my hair.  No IDEA where that comes from.  Maybe it did happen in a past life. Who knows.  I DO actively avoid bats- or am at least wary of places i imagine they may be hiding.:)  

#34 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:03 AM

lol Duchess

#35 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

I haven't a clue if past lives are real... but phobia is - for those who suffer with it.

Regardless of its origin...What a roadblock it must be. Especially for witches.

And, even more so if the phobia interferes with ones practice / magical development.

Where does a witch draw-the-line and take control of his/her mind and emotions?

And, how might one strive to overcome their irrational fears?

- Pablo Neruda

#36 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

I think exposure for many does help. I used to be very afraid of spiders. Que screaming and running out of the room.

The house I bought last year is more rural than what I was in before. The yard is full of jumping spiders. My garden.. Which is all around the house.. If you move a rock you will see a spider. They hang in my garage. I see them upstairs sometimes. Now while I still don't enjoy them and would probably cry like the last piece of my favorite cake was devoured if a big long legged one was crawling on me, I can tolerate them much much much better.

This was forced exposure, some don't have that. I think maybe exposure slowly with learning all you can about your phobia could help.

As for taking control of mind and emotions I think it's going to take a lot of work. Meditation, trance work, research, relaxation, learning to quiet your thoughts, learning how to replace fleeting thoughts with active thoughts, etc. Our thoughts are often the first active response of our emotions.

Edited by Kalinia, 21 July 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#37 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hey Kalinia, maybe the spiders are a 'sign'.

- Pablo Neruda

#38 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

Oh man I opened this as soon as i took a bite of popsicle. Did not end well. :P was still delicious though.

#39 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

It's just the moon (shrug)..... :)

#40 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

I can say for sure that there is at least some truth to this theory - I was a Roma in France during WWII, and wound up in a "Research facility" in a concentration camp. I remember some of what was done to me was having my fingernails and toenails repeatedly ripped off. I was absolutely terrified of getting my nails clipped when I was little, and had to look away when anyone was doing anything to my nails. I still can't stand the thought of or execute a scratching motion with my hands, even in the air. I almost threw up when a friend of mine got her nail caught in the door at work and it came off; I can't even type it out without getting super anxious.

TL;DR, if you ever discover that you were a victim of the Holocaust in a past life, for the good of your mental health, please don't try to find those memories.