#1 ClockworkGhost

ClockworkGhost

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hiya,

This came up in a discussion I was having a while back with a psychologist I know who also studies the occult. She had an interesting hypothesis I would like your thoughts on, if I may.

The hypothesis goes like this. The phobias you have in this life are the direct result of horrific situations you were exposed to in your past lives - most often situations which killed you. Someone who has a phobia for fire, using this hypothesis, does so because they either burned to death in a past life or suffered severely as a result of fire. I know it doesn't hold much water with some phobias, but the idea is quite interesting nonetheless.

What do you wonderful people think?

'The way to do is to be' - Lao Tzu

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

It thinks it's a possibility.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Then there's an awful lot of people who were, at some point, brutally killed by clowns.

#4 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

ImamSua, I am one of those people.

I must have been stabbed to death by a clown armed with a hypodermic needle in a past life according to that shrink's theory

Edited by RachelLiz, 21 February 2015 - 04:55 PM.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#5 fallenklown

fallenklown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:01 PM

I guess that would mean that some nurse killed me drawing more blood for one of their many torture schemes I mean tests lol

#6 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:03 PM

What is it with clowns? I've never found them scary but I believe it is the duality- which creates uncertainty in being able to percieve their intentions that frightens people- (when they are children) and then it stays with them...
The past lives thing makes sense to me though- although I think that the lessons that we are supposed to learn may be bigger than that. :crystal-gazing:

Edited by Belwenda, 15 March 2015 - 01:21 AM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:31 PM

I think they're creepy.

#8 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:08 PM

I always hate the makeup. It's so obvious that they are hiding something. Just think of John Wayne Gacy aka Pogo the Clown. I read that book Crawlspace in high school and it scared the shit out of me because it was true.
My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

I really don't think there's potential for accuracy in that idea at all, but what do I know?

There must be way more people dying of snake and spider bites than we actually know. Plane crashes? Shark attacks? All of these are somewhat irrational phobias, some of them go far beyond normal cautionary fear. You would think people would fear deer since Cervids are the most dangerous animal in the world. Driving? Alcohol? All very dangerous and potentially deadly things that kill people all the time yet don't particularly cause irrational fears. I think I've met a handful of people who were deathly afraid of getting into vehicles, and there may be some legitimacy to that being linked to a past life, but often it is easier linked to the current life...something from earlier in life like being in an accident that killed several people when you were 8 years old. That kind of thing.

It seems like a really silly idea to be honest. I'd have a hard time taking a psychologist seriously if they suggested that to me, although my own irrational fear (there is only one, and I know better than to share it with a witchcraft forum) might actually tie into the idea. Only....it's a fear that stems from my childhood rather than a past life.

I would think that if anything a death in a past life from something would make people less likely to fear it. The idea of having faced it on the mundane plane of existence and still making it back....I think it might even offer some immunity or resistance to it because the immortal soul would have already experienced its worst.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#10 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:51 AM

I guess that would mean that some nurse killed me drawing more blood for one of their many torture schemes I mean tests lol

You are afraid of nurses? Or just nurses drawing blood? Hehehe.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#11 fallenklown

fallenklown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:49 PM

All of the above lol. But adore tattoos....

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

I could possibly see it as a past life induced phobia is it was about specific places vices inspecific results, ie fire in general. When you look to the cases that are most cited for reincarnation and such they usually have a very specific nature about them. Recall of events, places, specific people, or people that may continue in the family or associated with the family.

I would be more inclined to think upon it if the person displayed such a phobia all of their lives vice something that manifests at a later stage of life. It's like for me personally one might say I died in a suffocation scenario as I have issues with enclosed spaces or tight spaces. That might even hold water if you are not aware of the fact I was trapped in a trunk by a babysitter when I was younger so she could run to the store and had started to turn blue when finally released by my parents. So there is a mundane reason that is hidden in my past but not a past life thing. As a shamanic practitioner that very incident plays havoc when I try to do certain sensory deprivation techniques to achieve journey / vision works. Which is another reason I have such difficulty blindly accepting all the past life influences people try to present as influences upon their current lives.

Now I do believe in the womb induced phobia's that result from the mother experiencing something while pregnant. Something which seems far more likely to be a cause for many phobia's people experience and suffer from than a past life emergence. My mom for instances blames herself for a phobia my sister has because of what happened while she was pregnant with her.

I would add that I'd think those people who are clinically dead and come back would have a higher amount of phobia's then if a previous life incident manifested in their current life as a phobia. Have seen no medical or scientific proof of them having higher phobia's.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 22 February 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#13 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

All of the above lol. But adore tattoos....

Ummm, what about nurses with tattoos? :wavex:
Lol.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#14 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Lol.

Ugh, That makes me think of the Bobble Headed nurses from the Silent Hill games and movies. Talk about scary nurses.

#15 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

If you research epigenetics you will see that science supports the view of phobias being passed down from parents and ancestors. The phobias actually get encoded in the epigentics.

I have been doing a lot of ancestor and past life work lately - some of the most powerful work I have done for myself in a while.... Really helping both me and my wife (who is doing similar work right now) understand ourselves and each other much better.

One example - my wife always has really hard birthdays. Two weeks ago on her birthday she started making drama all about nothing for some reason, so she went to do a ceremony by herself in the forest to figure it out... When she returned a few hours later, she told me of a past life where she had to execute one of her dearest friends on her birthday. She spent the whole day in the past life waiting to see her friend die from an execution she ordered. Made me understand why she had created the drama, which helped me support her much better, and I think the experience was even more helpful for her. We are both curious to see how her birthday goes next year....

#16 fallenklown

fallenklown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Lol.

Depends is the nurse about to stick memail with a hypodermic needle?

#17 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

Drowning had to be one of my deaths. I am terrified of being totally submerged in water. It's been a fear since day 1 it seems.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#18 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

I almost drowned once.... Was really scary at first, but then incredibly peaceful....

I have actually been doing a lot of past life work lately, and three questions especially opened this up for me.... Maybe others would find them interesting...

Basically, I went on a journey to speak with my most trusted spirit friend. I asked 3 questions and had a vision of each, so I think others could replicate this using any good method of conversing with your spirit guides....

Show me the life where I suffered the most.
Show me the life where I had power and did the most harm.
Show me the life where I had power and did the most good.

I found out in the process that these 3 lives are incredibly important for understanding myself in this life - so much of who I am and the circumstances I have encountered through life seems directly related to these 3 past lives...

I got the 3 questions/lives idea from a teacher I work with - I would be curious to see if these are as insightful for others as they have been for my wife and I...

#19 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

I am so sick of past life drama. :yuck: I really hope I'm done with all that shit.

This is the one I'm living right now.

Edited by RoseRed, 02 March 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#20 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:06 PM

I am so sick of past life drama. :yuck: I really hope I'm done with all that shit.

This is the one I'm living right now.

Lol! Not that long ago I didnt even believe in past lives.... But finally connecting with mine has been helpful so far... I know there is some scary shit in there though that can be difficult to face...

Life isnt very simple is it?