Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone good with dogs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

My daughter brought me my Dad's dog. She's a freaking basketcase.

When we tried connecting with her - we can't get past the sheer pain in her head to try to communicate with anything behind it.

Other than loving on her and trying to keep her calm and comfortable- I don't know what else to do with her. I finally gave her a benedryl - she couldn't calm down. She couldn't catch her breath and her poor little heart was beating like a hummingbirds. She's a little better now.

For those who haven't kept up on the side bar chat on the main page - my Dad's on life support in ICU. He was found near death on the bathroom floor. The docs think he laid there for about 3 days. I think she never left his side.

She's a spoiled, fat and incredibly loved little lap dog who's never had a traumatic experience before.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

If you can get something (a shirt, for instance) of your dad's - a worn one so it'll have his scent on it, put that in a bed for her in a quiet area of the house. It'll help make the transition from him to you easier on her.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

My daughter brought a shirt with her. It was the only way she was able to calm her down when she took her out of Dad's house. She put it in the crate with her.

Go figure - Mom to the rescue. Rockette took a serious liking to my Mom. She's been curled up on her lap sleeping all afternoon. The benedryl wore off hours ago. She's sleeping on her own right now.

A friend of mine does long distance Reiki and specializes in dogs. I spoke with her earlier. I don't 'get' the whole Reiki thing but the difference in the dog between this morning and now is incredible.

#4 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

I'm neither a breeder nor a vet, but I've helped plenty of canines deal with stress. In my experience, dogs are more resilient when they have the least amount of variance in their daily routine, and plenty of cuddles. If she can get her regular food at normal intervals and have her outside time, she will almost certainly be fine. Little dogs are surprisingly tough. If on the other unlikely hand, she does exhibit severe anxiety-- refusing food or chewing herself-- her vet can prescribe medication, but it's not usually necessary.

I really hope your dad makes a full recovery.

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

After she calmed down I was able to give her a once over. His groomer is a piece of shit. She's walking funny cuz her groomer trims her nails - nice and flat on the end but they're over an inch long.

Anyways, she has such severe mouth rot that most of her teeth are loose. That explains her breath. I have to get her into the vet when I get back.

She's sleeping, eating, playing with the other dogs and occasionally moping.

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

My condolences to your family in this time. I can't offer much about dogs, I do know cats though.

I did observe that the use of a "hug" shirt or something (dunno what it's actually called) helps dogs with depression as well as being thunder shy. Basically a garment for the dog that makes them feel like they're being hugged *shrug*

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:08 PM

They're called "thundershirts" and a friend of mine will attest to their efficacy as far as nervousness during storms go. Can't see where trying one to ease anxiety would hurt!

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#8 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

The Thundershirt works on my beast and helps with his ridiculous separation anxiety. In general, it just calms the dog down, just like swaddling newborn.

*There's a 30 day money-back guarantee should it not work*

You have be be consistent with it, tho.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Yeah one of my ex girlfriends operates an AKC breeding kennel with her mom and they had a few of those for the thundershy dog. I observed it working so thought it might be helpful in this case.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#10 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

I know this is an old topic but for future reference if anyone needs help in calming their dog down....

There are calming cues that dogs use themselves and to each other to calm down or show anxiety.

Lip licking
Yawning
Big, deep sigh
Looking down and around instead of at you

All signs that a dog is saying woh calm down, you are stressing me out

If you do these signs to your dog, it will help him or her to calm down, they will usually copy you or return your cue with a different one

I'll go find a source and post it in a minute

Star x

#11 star

star

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

http://veterinarytea...ne-anxiety-cues
Star x