On keeping and creating a Grimoire

awildekkem

I have two nice hardcover books with sturdy paper (nothing extravagant, just above average quality so ink doesn't bleed through and I'm semi-confident the paper and binding will stand the test of time) where I record rituals I've performed, tools and various blends etc I've made and information about ingredients I've acquired. One is for general magic and one is for the astrological variety in particular, as that's a big chunk of what I do. I'm very bad at keeping them updated but my process is flexible enough that I can do it in big batches when motivation strikes: it's where I consolidate the various scraps about the Goings-On. (I used to be very self-conscious because my penmanship is horrid and I can't draw or make anything pretty to save my life but I've gotten over that, thankfully. Any full book looks awesome whatever way it was filled anyway.)

I have a trusty, thicker Rhodia book that is sturdy enough to travel around: it's where I record every tarot reading. Feedback is absolutely essential to developing your skill, I learned that all too late in my relatively long journey with divination. This one I maintain dutifully. I peruse it at regular intervals and add new insights that have emerged or correct what was confirmed to be erroneous interpreations.

Then I have a random notebook that I use to write a few lines after meditation (how long I meditated, a few words about how I feel afterwards). I try to go back periodically and see if anything that happened matches weird things that may have emerged during meditation to learn to acknowledge premonitions as what they are. I use the back of the book for occasional 'brain dumps'.

I have another whatever book where I try to collect all the random notes I take when I'm working on things etc. I think of it as an exercise book but I'm bad at using it when there's always some barely usable scrap of paper lying around...

Oh, and I have a Honeycomb personal almanach - it's a planner with all the astrological information you could dream of needing, with mundane transits customized for your location as well as transits to your own natal chart. An absolute godsend. I use it as the resource it is for pretty much everything and I write a brief paragraph  about each day to track transits and see how they affect me/my life. Incredibly useful. I'm going through some major life transits so I think its usefulness will only increase with time, as I look back.

As for readings notes etc it's all digital. I use the free open-source software Obsidian to collect highlights and notes on everything I read and to break them down into concepts I can relate to other things I've learned and experienced. I'm always raving about this small but oh so mighty piece of software. It's like a commonplace book of yore except it's hyperlinked, which makes it dizzyingly powerful.

I use MyMind (paid subscription unfortunately - I'm on the student plan which is fairly affordable for what you get) to collect bits and bobs of inspiration. That's how I used tumblr back in the day, although this is much more efficient (and stable, and confidential). It keeps me creative and engaged to have a place where I can explore things that caught my eye in a serendipitous manner. Learning and creating is all about making links, for me, so I'm glad tools like this one are appearing - a really beautiful use of AI, I wish all were as benevolent...

I think of myself as terminally disorganized and forgetful but I've managed to write a horribly long post about what appears to be a pretty functional system! That's actually heartening! Always curious to hear about others' systems, so I'm bumping.

I just buy up 3 ring binders and note books whenever I see them on sale, lol. So far I have about 15 binders and may 120-25 notebooks of notes, printouts of conversations and emails (with notes scribbled all over the margin edges), dreams, inspirations, "jumpings", and even mundane conversations (because anyone and everyone can teach you something). They're in no order, but I know where most info is. When I get the "I've heard that before - I have notes on it somewhere" feeling I can pretty much get the right note book. But my books don't look like a grimoire of spells. They read as a story, as a thousand letters and memories and conversations kept, rather than as a spell book.  Sometimes I just sit in front of them and pull one out at random and always I get something new from something I've already read a hundred times.

Damn I'm really impressed by people with good enough memories that they can retrace their own steps like that. When I was at uni I used to work myself up into a panic (barely exaggerating lol) thinking of past students who didn't have searchable archives, books, notes... I would be a very different person without search algorithms lol

I have several notebooks on the go at any one time. Usually black moleskin ones. They tend to be a place to record immediate ideas, workings, results etc rather than a formal Grimoire. I think it would be a great work to coalesce all of my notes into a coherent whole.....Must give it some serious thought 

I love my Grimoire, but I find that I have to make a conscious decision to keep it up.  With the pandemic still going on, I find myself devoting more time to my book.  Sometimes just to add a photo or underline important points of interest.  I like to write about some of my life experiences, synchronistic happenings and experiences.  Make it about my experiences.

I have a large. thick black 3-ring notebook with removable pages (and pages that can be added) that I use as my grimoire for recording spellwork (including the outcomes, when I remember to add them),  calendars for lunar phases, recipes, notes on herbs and oils, astrological info, how to do various tarot spreads, how to make various talismans, etc. I keep select artwork in there as well, since  art is a big part of who I am. I also have a much smaller notebook for recording tarot readings. I've decided that, in addition, I'm going to start a dream journal-- I've been having a lot of very vivid dreams lately, and while I don't yet know if they are premonitions, I do feel that they are trying to tell me something. I always remember my dreams-- especially the really hilarious ones-- so I think this would be a good exercise to incorporate into my practice. 

Edited by UnMasked1467
Lack of coffee

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Boy!  UnMasked, you are one busy Witch!  Your Grimoire sounds like mine, I think including Art Work is brilliant, art is like a spell in the fact that it is visualization and manifestation.  sometimes I will do a little picture and think that would be perfect in my book.  Art brings ideas to life.  Like a sigil of sorts.

• Like 1

Thanks Onyx! And yes, totally agree with you about art-- it IS like a sigil in that it brings ideas to life. Very cool concept 😄