Casting Circles

BellaFae

Ok the other thread about full moons made me think. Since a lot of people here are former Wiccans, and to the other Traditionals as well, my question is this. Do you (still) cast circles? I personally don't like to very much but I can't help but think that it would protect from negative energies. I have been reading that awesome book "Practical Psychic Self-Defense" by Robert Bruce. It is making me realize that negs are everywhere!:ohshit:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I myself have tried doing this but not sure if I trully know how. Because my meditation practices have been struggling so they might play hand in hand with each other in the fact that since im not completely grounded and what have you the circles may or may not work for me but I am trying. As you said the Neg energy IS everywhere.

I don't cast circles as such but I do mentally surround myself with a ring of light....for protection and also to keep everything else out while I focus on whatever it is I'm doing

Hey, this is george, The Trad Witches I know don't cast circles. They believe that the very ground they stand on is sacred. If they ask for protection they call upon their personal guardian(s) and the local spirits. I was taught that circles really don't protect, they just hold the energy in place that you are raising until you send it out. It would be your guardians or watchers that do the protecting. I hope this helps.

Hey, this is george, The Trad Witches I know don't cast circles. They believe that the very ground they stand on is sacred. If they ask for protection they call upon their personal guardian(s) and the local spirits. I was taught that circles really don't protect, they just hold the energy in place that you are raising until you send it out. It would be your guardians or watchers that do the protecting. I hope this helps.

George is correct on this. To me...casting circles is very Wiccan. Now when I do an elaborate ritual...depending on what it is used for I'll surround myself within a blood circle or swimply use my ritual pentagram canvas.

But overall and normally for everyday spells I just do the spells itself LOL

George is correct on this. To me...casting circles is very Wiccan. Now when I do an elaborate ritual...depending on what it is used for I'll surround myself within a blood circle or swimply use my ritual pentagram canvas.

But overall and normally for everyday spells I just do the spells itself LOL

Is this a literal blood circle or a mental circle? and if it is a mental one is that not the same as the intended question?

Guest 53rdspirit

Ditto, George. :high5:

well it depends what Im doing I d cast circles sometimes but then im an eclectic witch. Some trads I know do cast circles some don't. I think its a personal thing to people I have spoken to.

Guest PathWalker

I don't really cast circles, never really did... I was taught to always light a white candle.. that should do the trick...

Also, my favorite method is to place stones in a circle... that handles it even better... salt or smudging sage works too!

Is this a literal blood circle or a mental circle? and if it is a mental one is that not the same as the intended question?

Actually I have a jar of blood :) I make a circle of it around me and sprinkle powdered snakeskin on top :)

I used to cast circles when I was wiccan as well as when I was a magician (not the stage kind :rolleyes:). However, truth be known, I found I could work effectively without one. Circumstances along with becoming more traditional has made me rethink it all. I have pretty much abandoned casting circles altogether. I have my altar when I need to do something, and so far it seems to work just fine without the circle. Of course this means I need to learn new ways of balancing and ground without one. Sigh - it's a work in progress :)

HI George, casting circles with guardians and watchtowers is a Wiccan thing not Trad. However some Trads like to build up a circle to keep unwanted guests out. I think it depends on how you view the circle in the first place, if you don't believe it will protect you then it wont.

I like to surround myself in candles and imagine light around me, I guess thats a kind of circle, but I certainly dont call corners or guardians. Unfortunately, I usually don't have time to piss around with candles etc so I just get right to it and protect myself from within and rely on my spirit guides and higher self for protection.

Unfortunately, I usually don't have time to piss around with candles etc so I just get right to it and protect myself from within and rely on my spirit guides and higher self for protection.

Yeah that sounds like me! lol

I'm more electic than the rest and I don't cast circles in the manner of drawing them or using a wand, etc. Mine are done with herbal mixtures and then were "charged" through meditation.

I have a permanent circle cast outside the property line of my home, a second around the house, a third around garden area. The are cast for protection, calm, healing, tranquilty and to keep unwanted "guests" from entering. Every once in a while I will recast the circle for safety. For me, it keeps my space energized. It also helps in keeping me from absorbing stress, anxiety, etc of others the visit my home.

I want to add that saying that traditional witches do not cast circles is not completely correct. Depending on the path a traditional witch follows, circles are necessary for their workings and protection.

Dee, nobody here said that Traditionals do not cast circles. I said casting circles with watch towers and guardians IS a Wiccan thing and is not something Trads do. I think most Trads do form some sort of protection around them even if they do it in their head.

Dee, nobody here said that Traditionals do not cast circles. I said casting circles with watch towers and guardians IS a Wiccan thing and is not something Trads do. I think most Trads do form some sort of protection around them even if they do it in their head.

I was actually responding to an earlier replies about individuals not knowing traditional witches that cast circles. :). I totally agree with the ritual of casting circles with the watchtowers or the elements everytime you decide to light a candle. I was trying to more or less respond to the original post about protecting yourself from the negative aspects out there and trying to keep psychic protection up.

Hey Sandy,

I don't cast circle either. I was just relaying information. The Irish Trads that I talk to say that most Trad Witches have their own personal guardian spirits that they would call or the local nature spirits, that is if they use or have any guardians at all. Personally I have never cast a circle. That is all part and parcel of wicca. But I do have some wiccan friends. I wish they would convert. lol

Archived