Constantine

Moonflower

Has anyone caught the show Constantine on NBC? I believe it's based on a DC comic character, but it's actually pretty interesting so far. Whoever is doing the writing seems to have some knowledge of the occult. Not sure about the rituals he performs since they are usually in Latin or enochian (?), but the basic stuff seems pretty plausible to a newbie like me. I know 50 people are going to explain to me why his magick is complete crap, but that's okay. I need to learn how to spot magical crap (even if it's just on tv). Right now I'm only good at spotting mundane crap ????

While I haven't ever seen the TV series, I did rather enjoy the film, not really because of its magical or mystical properties but because I'm one of the weird few who actually enjoys Keanu Reeves and I absolutely adore Rachel Weisz. I would say that if you're interested in any types of related occult studies then Enochian magic might overlap with it, however that is more along the lines of Ceremonial Magic and less along the lines of witchcraft. I, for one, enjoy reading about the ways of Ceremonial Magicians but it does not exactly overlap with my path as a witch except in a few circumstances involving the Ars Goetia.

If you're interested in learning more about traditional witchcraft it may not be the best place to look, but it IS fascinating so by all means dig around and see what you can find ;)

I used to read the comics when I was a kid, my son has them now. I've seen the first couple episodes and I think it's pretty good. I remember one issue mentioning the Grimorium Verum, and most of the demons are well known as well. I didn't care for the movie so much because it made Constantine a bit too noble, and he's actually kind of a shit in the comics. The show does touch on that somewhat. He's also a chain smoker in the comics, but that's only hinted at in the show.

The magic in the show definitely uses a lot of artistic license, but you can see it's based on the old grimoires.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Huge fan of the comics here and I think the series captured the spirit of John Constantine pretty well. It really is too bad that the series got cancelled, as the second season likely would have been pretty epic. Not that what we got was bad or anything but i feel the show was just picking up speed. Maybe there's going to be more cameos like the Green arrow one's in the future and who knows, if enough people like him, maybe netflix or something could pick up the show for a new season.