• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

Many people, on all types of life paths, maintain an interest in astrological events. Involvement can range from casually reading a newspaper horoscope every now and then, to generating elaborate charts every day depicting planetary transits. Just as in witchcraft, there are many different "flavors" of astrology, all of which offer differing interpretations of the "how and why" of our solar system's dance through the zodiac.

Some of us are members of this site because we are (or became) disenchanted about how witchcraft has been watered down and made more palatable for the masses. Although I've never been active in an astrology enthusiast community, my book studies indicate that the same ideological attenuation has happened with the portrayal of astrology throughout the past few decades. The complexities of classic astrological systems appears to have been streamlined for mass consumption, even to the point of sacrificing accuracy.

Among those sacrifices is the concept of retrograde planets. Mainstream information sources- news websites, magazines, newspapers- now publish articles on Mercury Retrograde. The nuanced and subjective experience that defines Mercury going retrograde is somehow distilled into a neat-and-tidy, "all-inclusive" list of activities that one should avoid doing during the event. Meanwhile- with the exception of astrology websites- little to no mention is made of the fundamental shift in internal focus one feels when Jupiter turns solar direct, or the sudden need for release many people experience when Pluto approaches its retrograde station.

What's your opinion on retrograde planets? Is it just another astrological cycle that has no more or less bearing than when the transits are solar direct? Or do you think retrogrades are note-worthy events? Do you find yourself affected more by one planet's retrograde transit more than other retrogrades?

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

I'm not really into astrology (as they say), especially the one-size-fits-all sun-sign predictions you find in the newspaper, online, etc. I know from hanging out with bona fide astrologers that you've got to take everything into consideration when reading a chart - even if it's only "what's today going to be like?" Personalization, I'm told, is the key.

That said, Mercury is my ruling planet and I do find Mercury retrogrades stressful. Not catastrophically but Murphy's Law is enacted nearly every time. But it's life, so I wail & moan, then shrug my shoulders & get on with it - shit happens. A friend, also a Virgo with a nearly-identical chart, finds it stressful as well. Others I know with Mercury ruling? Not so much. Must be that personalization thingy.

The rest of the retrogrades I don't follow so whether they affect me or not, I couldn't tell. I just bump along as best I can, regardless of what the planets may or may not be doing.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:32 AM

It very much depends on personalization, you're right. I don't notice anything at all, but my mercury is exalted and well aspected. IDK I was born with seven planets retrograde--every single m'fucking planet that CAN be retro. LOL. Yeah call me lucky.

There is a concept in evolutionary and vedic astrology called 'transcending the horoscope.' Could look into it. A lot of people who speak of such talk a lot of bloody karma so you might just get annoyed.

There are other methods to address such problems from occurring but I'm not going to talk about it right now, it may be a service I offer in the future and tbh I could make a lot of money doing it, IJDK if I want to be bothered. It's time consuming.

I can give one pro tip, tho, for those who are afflicted by mercRx....mercurial spirits wander crossroads, but if you can't find one, you can call them there easily. Have a chat about this.

Anyway. I'm not a pro astrologer by any means but that might help ya out....

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#4 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

I am not very adept at studying the movements of celestial bodies, I'm more of a terrestrial entity...I'm looking forward to seeing different viewpoints on this topic and perhaps I can learn something. I know that Mercury is one of the bodies in my stellium and it affects my oratory and interpersonal skills, but beyond that I don't particularly know a lot. I've noticed that I become a bit more clumsy during retrograde but otherwise...?
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#5 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

This is really kind of a mess(well he is a chaote) but parts are definitely worth considering....

http://magicblog.and...h-of-clear.html

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Y'know, I can resolve almost all the issues that crop up during Mercury Rx a lot faster than doing all his ritual stuff ... (But that's just me.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:11 PM

I couldn't be bloody bothered to do all that mess LOL but I was just thinking about doing a mercury bath, then saw this on my feed, and his formula is decent. That's mostly what I was posting this for. The rest of it, eh, might interest those who can be bothered to do ceremonial magic but I personally don't unless it's necessary.

#8 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'm not really into astrology (as they say), especially the one-size-fits-all sun-sign predictions you find in the newspaper, online, etc. I know from hanging out with bona fide astrologers that you've got to take everything into consideration when reading a chart - even if it's only "what's today going to be like?" Personalization, I'm told, is the key.

----
I don't go around trying to convert people into "real" astrology, but a mischievous little thing I used to do with friends was read them what they thought was the day's newspaper horoscope for their sign. I would read them a random sun sign's "astrological forecast" for that day, smile enigmatically when they proclaimed that they felt exactly like what the horoscope said, then inform them that I had read a horoscope for a sign different than their own. It's even more fun to do with old newspapers! A select few friends over the years, typically the ones going through a rough patch, would request a full chart reading from me of their current transits. To avoid their perspective being influenced by the power of suggestion (as demonstrated in the daily newspaper horroscopes), I would have them write down succinct points of interest pertaining to their current experience. I would read their chart, jot down the points I saw, and then we'd compare notes. I was saddened by how many were alarmed by the accuracy that legitimate astrology can provide, and how many actively avoided any discussion of astrology after I provided them with the first "real" reading, but I digress...

It very much depends on personalization, you're right. I don't notice anything at all, but my mercury is exalted and well aspected. IDK I was born with seven planets retrograde--every single m'fucking planet that CAN be retro. LOL. Yeah call me lucky.

---
SEVEN planets retrograde at your birth?! :o That is impressive!

All planets were solar direct when I was born. I was convinced that it was logistically impossible, but after consulting an array of sources of a few months, it was confirmed. Perhaps that's why I sense retrogrades as soon as they happen.

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

So here's an interesting question...does anyone have any experience with Eastern astrology? Moreso from the near east, such as Persian/Zoroastrian astrology...It was brought up as a topic in a conversation I was having and I wanted to check here. What are their takes on retrograde movement?
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#10 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

I want to make a post to this thread that has some value but I always seem to log on when I am about to go to work or on my break, and I can't think about the metaphysical when I am wearing Kevlar and a riot shield. I have to keep my head in the game.

I will say that certain planets going into retrograde will cause certain reactions in me physically (mercury makes me clumsy, I fell down the stairs at work in front of a whole pod of offenders the first day of this most recent retrograde, and then dropped my svc weapon a few days later). I also find it odd that Pluto, while having both retrograde and prograde motion, is no longer taught as a planetary part of the solar system but it has a tidal moon, both retro and prograde motion, an axial tilt of 120 degrees and a elliptical solar orbital pattern, fulfilling most requirements for official "planet" status. Asteroids, however, have no retrograde motion at all, yet some consider their movements to also be a part of their astrological casting, and use such bodies as Ceres, Vesta and Pallas Athene. I find these bodies have little effect on me and have never considered them, astrologically, but I do enjoy studying them as a part of the solar system.

Ok back to work.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked