23 replies to this topic

#21 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:38 AM

How difficult is it to heat steel in this way? Do you need to have a special forge to do it in (if that's the right word!)?

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

If you are handy it is not to hard to make a basic forge - an old hair dryer, a bit of black steel piping to direct the air stream, a hole in the ground + some hardwood lump charcoal will do in a pinch.
Trickier is finding a decent anvil to work the hot metal on.

I started with a large sledgehammer head mounted in a stump, then moved to a section of railroad track, finally i was able to locate a proper anvil; just small enough for me to lift and move a step or two when needed. Depending on where you are expect to pay between $1-5 per pound for a decent one. 100-150 pounds is a good hobbyist/beginner size.
If you ever get offered a Peter Wright anvil, with 1-1-1 under the PW stamp, for a price you can afford jump on it - they are one of the gold standard names in smithing.

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#22 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

I wonder if we could use plant dyes, either for representing a colour we would like, or the properties of the plant? It would probably take some experimentation, but there'd be many ways to go about it, I'd imagine.

Dyeing with Indigo plants is like "magic" watching the color develop. There are lots of different types of plants you could dye with to utilize not just their colour, but their energy as well. I'll post an old episode over in the Spin/Weave/Knit, etc thread of some ancient Irish techniques to not derail this topic here...

#23 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

I'm usually the kinda woman who likes big chunky jewelry... But on my wedding/handfasting day I wore a single tiny droplet of faceted moonstone on a silken string as a necklace. Really simple, almost invisible. It rained a lot that day and everyone cried a lot, too. The droplet is not only like a reminder of the amounts of water spilled, the rain and the tears, but it feels to me like it holds the entire magical energy of love, union, positivity and celebration. Whenever I wear it I feel that I'm immersed in that loving energy again. So, yeah, I think objects can store energy. 

#24 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

That's beautiful, Verin!

RSKHFMY