23 replies to this topic

#1 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

A long time ago I made a cord to store "moon power/energy". I came across this when cleaning out. And I thought, how daft was that - I don't even relate to the moon that much. I cant remember now if I've ever used the cord or not. And what would have been held in it, anyway? Not the power of the moon because I sure as hell didn't sit out all night directing moon-light into the cord.

And there was another item, something I always have on me. Not particularly magical, but something that has deep meaning for me... colors that I, personally, like. Little things that remind me of my family, and of certain values I hold dear. I wear it often and keep it with me when I'm not wearing it. It hangs on the edge of my computer screen when I'm at work, I sleep with it in the bed or hanging on the hook above my bed. I fiddle with it when I'm thinking deep thoughts (or dense thoughts, lol) or when I'm having deep conversations with things. Because it has things strung on it, I will use it in magic to remember where I am in saying a verse or line.

Anyway, I held that... which had been made with no meaning or concentration at the time of its making. But which held in it an infinite storage of past deeds and spells, family conversations, my mother's wisdom, my son's strength and perseverance, my granddaughter's laughter and ability to tune out. Such power and wisdom stored in there unintentionally, lol. I can pick it up when I'm tired or upset and get instant input and quietness and strength... power.

It made me think about what power actually is, and I don't think it's "umph" in a spell..... I think it's the strength to hold your head up and be proud of who you are, the will to go forward when you're tired, the ability to stick to your guns, and even to put things on a back burner for a good night's sleep. It;s energy, but more like energy of the memory of what gives us true strength. And that gives us the power and the courage to move forward with whatever it is we are doing or want to do. This unintentional little nothing I made for a necklace has become a storage shed of advice and memory and "power". It reminds me of who I am.

M

#2 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

I work with stones and crystals a bit - and I always think the best ones to use are ones you have a personal connection with more then which stone was the nicest or most expensive ect... Just a river rock you found on the ground can often have more power in it then that fancy crystal you bought in a store. Meaning has all kinds of power.

#3 isabel

isabel

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Maybe this is a generalisation, but that quiet strength and real power seems to get over shadowed by our flashy, attention grabbing,"I'm big and important " loving society and I think sometimes that can filter into our magical activities. It can be kind of tempting to forget that sense of real and individual power and buy an expensive item or follow someone else's idea of a ritual/ spell thinking that makes it more powerful, but really it doesn't resonate with that person. I'm almost ashamed to admit I have old wi***n rituals from several years ago written down thinking at the time that was the correct way and powerful plus expensive and essentially dead ritual items. Lately I been thinking more and more that things take time, bit by bit, a trickle of wisdom, a trickle of power and it's not until we look back that we realise how much has changed.

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

... it's not until we look back that we realise how much has changed.

boy, ain't that the truth, lol... all those drawers we haven't looked in in ages, lol...

M

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

I would be very surprised if that shawl you were knitting while talking to your Ancestors wasn't the same way.

This is the Essence of knot magic.

It's amazing what can be stored in something the size of an earring or anklet. Imagine what can go into a blanket.

What a beautiful piece you have to cherish. I find myself thinking that if I had something like that I would want to pass it onto my daughter.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#6 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Wow, I was trying to find a way to post on this topic, but I couldn't articulate myself, Michele. I'm happy you posted it. I'm wondering what people prefer to store energy. knots, stones, etc? And is there a preference for any method based on the type of energy being stored?

I have found that anything I can "create" works the best for me (knots are part of this), but I've been interested in storage in objects etc. Things that I have no part in the shaping or creation of.

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

Just think of the power contained in a knot that could loose a wind over the ocean?

It's that same awesome power that creates and holds those separate areas within the piece itself.

I think 'storing objects' is worthy it's own thread. it's a great idea!

#8 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

Really? I think I should create one then (a thread on storage in objects) ^^.

On the topic of this thread.... I have been knitting a scarf for my mom for the past month (I know I'm slow!) and instinctually I have been trying to communicate to her how much I love her, as well as my wish for her happiness etc. into the knits.... It's made me realise how we put our energy into things without it being an intentionally "magical" thing (also made me think about knitting scarves with some of my other emotions going and seeing what that does ;) ). My cooking is very much the same way; creating a meal with my love evokes the feeling in people.

In the same way I have been feeling strength from certain gifts given to me... And older items that hold a deep meaning to me. I wonder if I now feel the intent/the energy/memories they carry more strongly as I am more in tune with things. Someone recently told me they purposefully have certain items with them constantly with the intent to build this sort of "relationship" with the item. In contrast, I've felt like I've done what you described Michele with certain items, and it was also unintentional :). I feel like it's very "genuine" when it's unintentional, and I like that.

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:15 AM

I put up a thread a while ago about how I burn the energy from a spell into quartz during a burning ritual, often I use these for dream work or keep them on my person. Usually these are related to moon cycles but not always. Saving ashes from a burning ritual is another way I do this, sometimes blending the ashes with an oil or plain water. Water in itself is another great conduit, I think most of us are familiar with "broth" or bullion cubes in cooking. I think storage of power is a very common practice to many practitioners. I know I'm always bringing up "sigils sigils sigils" but that is a really common and effective way of not only storing power but allowing it to grow. Placing stones in certain visual arrangements in the forest, sometimes in the form of a sigil helps keep the power of a protection or an area of interest in tact since the landscape is often ever-changing. The same area of ten square feet of forest may alter or shift itself over the years as new erosion happens or as new plant life takes root or dies.

In building homes or laying new concrete, it isn't uncommon for people to write their name in the mortar or sidewalks or foundation before it dries, or the plaster in the house. I think this is another way that power and intent can be stored effectively and perhaps long-term.

Since I've been exploring doing hammersmith work I've discovered that there is a ton of latent storage ability in heating a piece of steel to a sexy glowing orange and pounding the hell out of it. I was experimenting with it a few weeks ago and had a spell written on a piece of paper that I laid upon the molten billet and hammered it in, incinerating it within seconds and infusing the steel with the intent within me.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#10 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

That is so cool, dude!

#11 aphrodite

aphrodite

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:38 AM

I was taught by some sea witches when I was overseas how to store storm energy in a shell to use for later. Its not that complicated a process but you have to have an affinity with storms and shells to do it.
But I'm with you, sometimes the simple things have the most meaning. I get made fun of sometimes because of all the things I do magically a day, but thats normal for mountain witches. When I set out my red geraniums, renew stones at the four corners of my house, fill the jars with protective things and bury them around the house, plant thistles at the back and roses with special briars at the front , and make a new knot wreath for the front door for spring and protection, its not so much I need to do all those things, its that I know I'm doing what my aunts and mammaw ahe so on down the line did to celebrate the seasons and protect the family. There's strength in that. I have learned many things, but as I get older I appreciate the folk magic I grew up with all the more.

#12 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:05 AM

I do a lot of sewing, and I will sing as I sew. I also have been taught to "sing to life" poppets as I stitch and stuff them, and I use a similar method when storing intent into objects, such as cords. I will use the singing as a way to focus my intentions into the work I am performing, and it is also easy to pass the time while tying knots when I am doing so.
My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#13 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

A couple of yeas back I worked a lot with sigils for storing energies.
I worked at a call center, I hated it and was drained by it, so to get
something back I created theses sigils (one for each day) where I
stored the energy I put into work and the energy that the person I
called put in. Then I hooked these sigils up to other sigils. It worked
very well.

After a while I realized that it was similar to how I did when I painted.
Not all the times...but my best work always has some kind of energy
stored in it.

#14 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:44 AM

Do you think that's part of what makes the "great" artists? the energy that they have to store in their work?..
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#15 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:12 AM

I love the concept and ideas in this thread! I hope to make my daughter something like a quilt w/the odds and ends I acquire over the years, magical or otherwise (like the bags I sew for tarot cards, just as one example).
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#16 Ogga

Ogga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:52 AM

Do you think that's part of what makes the "great" artists? the energy that they have to store in their work?..

Yes I think so, but I guess most artist are not aware about exactly what they are doing.

#17 FrozenThunderbolt

FrozenThunderbolt

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

Since I've been exploring doing hammersmith work I've discovered that there is a ton of latent storage ability in heating a piece of steel to a sexy glowing orange and pounding the hell out of it. I was experimenting with it a few weeks ago and had a spell written on a piece of paper that I laid upon the molten billet and hammered it in, incinerating it within seconds and infusing the steel with the intent within me.

Oh, I LOVE this idea Caps, thank you!

I've been smithing for a couple of years and this never occurred to be before. This is so much easier than engraving a finished piece :D
It would be neat to imbue a blade, or a strap for a hinge or chest during the forging itself . . . (mind is spinning now).
Do you practice HEMA at all, and in a related note have you come across some of the magical (occult, not D&D!) swordsmanship cross over? I know of (but dont own) a few books on the subject . . .

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." You may call me Jed.  

#18 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

How difficult is it to heat steel in this way? Do you need to have a special forge to do it in (if that's the right word!)?

Nice to see people talking about knitting intention into things. I've been thinking about this recently as I would like to weave or knit some scarves (or shawls of intent, like Tricycle suggested on another thread :D ) as gifts and was wondering how to put particular energy into them e.g, protective or relaxing. I was thinking of soaking the yarn or oiling it with essential oils, obviously choosing appropriate colours.

I would love to know any techniques for storing storm energy into shells. I work at the shore a lot and was thinking of doing some knot work there for the same reason, maybe incorporating some shells into a ladder for example.

#19 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

Nice to see people talking about knitting intention into things. I've been thinking about this recently as I would like to weave or knit some scarves (or shawls of intent, like Tricycle suggested on another thread :D ) as gifts and was wondering how to put particular energy into them e.g, protective or relaxing. I was thinking of soaking the yarn or oiling it with essential oils, obviously choosing appropriate colours.

I wonder if we could use plant dyes, either for representing a colour we would like, or the properties of the plant? It would probably take some experimentation, but there'd be many ways to go about it, I'd imagine.

#20 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

Yes, sounds good. I'm not very talented at making 'craft' items (in the normal sense rather than witchcraft sense) but I'm always up for having a go at things.