• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Does anyone else have problems with the use of pendulums?

My question is inspired by this thread:

http://www.tradition...ation/?p=168141

I don't know if I'm having trouble detaching from my questions, or if it's just not my thing, but it drives me nuts. Cards and augory seem to be my thing. I'm still working on astrology.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Sometimes I have good results with the pendulum, but since moving into this new house I have been having a bit of trouble.

I have great results with it when using it to divine the sex of a baby before the ultrasound, though. Circles for a boy and a line for a girl. Works every time.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

I gave up on pendulums. They they just don't work for me. Cards - that's a different topic altogether.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

Frankly, I'm beginning to suspect that my inability to use pendulums is an internal block. I have health issues that cause a tremor (initially in my non-dominant hand, but now extends to my right hand as well). Being hyper-aware of that tremor when holding a pendulum undoubtedly locks me up, both physically and metaphysically, and prevents the pendulum from transmitting/'speaking".

However, I don't see ineptitude at one form of divination to be a drawback in the least. The only aspect of pendulums that I appreciate (and wistfully yearn for on occasion) is the portability and discreetness they offer. When in public, it's much easier to have a discreet chat in a corner with the pendulum than it is to whip out a deck of cards to do a full spread. ;)

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

I used to catch my grandmother using her cross on the chain (that she never took off) as a pendulum when she had need for one. The look on her face the first time I walked in and caught her was priceless.

It just looked like she was messing with her jewelry.

I've seen some really cool key chain length ones, too.

#6 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:01 AM

I use a skeleton key on a length of red yarn that I hang around my neck under my clothes, so I can use it when needed, but I would not use it in public or in front of anyone I know.

Perhaps Witches have difficulty getting correct answers because we're controlling people, LOL.

I found that one has to really clear their mind of what you think the answer is, or what you want the answer to be. One method I read about was to ask the question in a "wonder" format, ie. I wonder if there are any dis-incarnate spirits in the house? It seems to put the will to rest, so you do not influence the answer with what you think it is or should be.

LOL at the cross pendulum, RR!

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

I hadn't heard of the 'I wonder' format before. I like it.

#8 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

The wonder method is interesting, Autumn Moon!

I use a pendulum regularly and have several stashed around the house. The work really well for me and always have, in fact I've seen very few people whom it doesn't work for, so this thread is of interest.

My partner and I use them to find out if the children are lying. We make a great show out of retrieving the "lie detector" to see if they are telling the truth in some matter. Because it's worked before the children now don't question it and simply fess up immediately. LOL We don't even have to get the pendulums out anymore, we just have to say, "Do I need to get the lie detector?" and that's all she wrote.

Izzie, thanks for the thread you posted. I'm going to check it out. :)

Edited by Lucea's Child, 21 January 2015 - 03:33 PM.

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#9 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

I find it depends really. Sometimes I have success with them and other times not so much, it's a matter of frame of mind for me I think. I've found on the test style things (hold the pendulum over the backs of cards and see if you can find the red one etc) I don't have any real success but using them for personal questions etc I do.
"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#10 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

I tried experimenting with the pendulum by keeping my eyes closed when asking the questions, but the pendulum doesn't move until I open my eyes. I guess I'm too attached to my questions?
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#11 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

I can get a pendulum to go in a really big circle, clockwise or counterclockwise.

Otherwise it only makes sense or responds when I'm communicating with a spirit.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#12 bastetsha

bastetsha

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:54 PM

I love using my pendulum. It gives me lines for yes and no and a circle for maybe. Rarely get maybe, I have noticed if I ask about questions like having a long life it gives up a maybe. Mine currently is a handmade one but I have my eye on this one pendulum that is calling me.

It has been right so far as I can tell. Next, I am going to try runes and tarot but I will always keep my trusty pendulum.

#13 Barsa

Barsa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

Unfortunately for me pendulums just swing in the area I think they should go :/ even when hung by an independent object. I think the minds ability to move things can have an effect on them.
"Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head;
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in every thing."

#14 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:40 AM

I've always had fairly good success w/them. It's interesting bc I used them before I really formally started practicing witchcraft. I saw one in a store and asked the lady what it was (this was over 12yrs ago) and she told me what it was and showed me how to use it. I had no preconceived notions regarding it w/the exception of perhaps some slight skepticism...until I used one for myself w/incredible accuracy.

Then at some point I lost that one, finally replaced it...lost one again and then purchased another one. What was interesting is that for some reason, I had the most trouble w/that specific pendulum! I always had trouble connecting to it; in that it never wanted to answer me. I'm not sure if it was the pendulum itself, or if it was me and my frame of mind...idk. So I finally gave that one to my sister and purchased another one around October of last year. This one is faring much better for me. I don't use it as much as I used to many years ago bc I'm trying to expand my repertoire by learning other forms of divination such as tarot, runes, etc.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#15 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:45 AM

For those of you who use/have used pendulums I have a question- do you think that it's your subconscious moving it? Do you think it's the universe, your higher self, spirit, spirit guides, etc.?
I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#16 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

I was very fond of pendulum when I started playing with /divination/dowsing.

My two cents:

- A pendulum can be influenced by a wide range of energies around you. Some books advice working on a white clock. I find it more useful to put a bit of black obsidian not far away from were you're working (a black stone that you feel 'grounds' energies will do).
- There are places in which it will be difficult to work, if not impossible: near or above underground water courses, giant antennas, sometimes cemeteries or churches. Just note these places and avoid working there.
- If you find that it is difficult to focus away from the answer to the question you may want to hear, ask the question loud and clear before you take the pendulum into your hands.
- Before you start asking questions, play with moving the pendulum. Just hold it and think how you want it to move - clockwise, anti-clockwise, large circles, small circles... This will help you understand how your conscious thoughts affect the movement of the thing, and to recognize when you're doing it.
- It is OK to ask silly questions, it is actually a very good thing to do. Ask questions that you can verify: where did I put my keys? Is there any orange juice left in the fridge? Did mom call yesterday? Doing this before a session will help get you into the right mood and put your confidence in a good place.
- Have a clear system of answers, and write it down if necessary. Like 'right: yes, left: no, still or no movement: can't answer...' It is just easy to forget your 'code', and to get confused/panicked during the session. If you're asking more than one question: ask the question, write down the movement and read the answers later.

Hope this helps :)

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

I can't work a pendulum to save my life but I have talked to others about it. Some people pick up on themselves so strongly that they use it strictly for self work. Others can't pick up themselves at all (as far as they can tell).

The same thing can be said for tarot cards as well. It's just less common with the cards than the pendulum.

#18 Sinnergy

Sinnergy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

Honestly, I have a love/hate relationship with pendulums. My current one is actually a stone bead that was an impulse buy. It turned out to be so well suited it was more than an impulse buy. I had high hopes when I tried it, because my deceased mother was a beading addict. I never got any accuracy from it, and moved on.
I definitely will try the "wonder" method and see if there is any improvement.

#19 OCEANOS

OCEANOS

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

The Pendulum is a very simple and straight forward divination tool to use, anyone is able to use them moreover any personal item can be use as a pendulum like you favourite piece of jewelry be it pendant or ring attached to a chain or string. you have to develop your own mthod of understanding what a pendulum is telling you, Turning clockwise may be a "Yes" for somebody but a "No" for someone else, with a little practice anyone can dowse using a pendulum well to get quick accurate answer as long as it's movement is not manipulated by your intent or energy. It is also good for those who are less sensitive to energies to get a feel of energy pulling, pushing or resonating with the aid of a pendulum. It will be easy to detect strength of the energy of a place or object but using a pendulum and the faster the movement the stronger is the force. Other forms of divination will require certain knowledge and strong connection the divinatory medium to work well, card reading is not simple especially to be of validity and accuracy.

"Some People Have A Gift For Stupidity, An Almost Mystic Ability To Withstand Any Form Of Logic"

output_dLSIE3.gif

#20 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

The Pendulum is a very simple and straight forward divination tool to use, anyone is able to use them moreover any personal item can be use as a pendulum like you favourite piece of jewelry be it pendant or ring attached to a chain or string. you have to develop your own mthod of understanding what a pendulum is telling you, Turning clockwise may be a "Yes" for somebody but a "No" for someone else, with a little practice anyone can dowse using a pendulum well to get quick accurate answer as long as it's movement is not manipulated by your intent or energy. It is also good for those who are less sensitive to energies to get a feel of energy pulling, pushing or resonating with the aid of a pendulum. It will be easy to detect strength of the energy of a place or object but using a pendulum and the faster the movement the stronger is the force. Other forms of divination will require certain knowledge and strong connection the divinatory medium to work well, card reading is not simple especially to be of validity and accuracy.

An aside comment that has nothing to do with the thread.

Can you please change the color of your font? That dark blue upon the blue gray background is almost unreadable. Have to highlight it in order to read it myself. Anything that might have been of value gets lost in that we either have to change it our simply pass it by.