Hyperborea

Capsicum

Has anyone done much research on the topic of Hyperborea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperborea

In Greek Mythology it was supposed to be a paradise land of perpetual daytime that was the home of a kingdom of gods or half-gods (children of the deity Boreas) who were giants. One of the tasks of Herakles was to retrieve antlers from Hyperborea. There is a lot of speculation about what it meant, and most mythology is based in fact that was passed down and changed over the course of generations. I like the idea that the inhabitants of Northern Europe during the times of Greek legend (presumably Celts) were considered the Hyperboreans by the Greeks. There is also the thought that at the most extreme point of the Arctic Circle, the geographic pole, the sun only rises and sets once per year, so the myth could be perceived as those who live there who live 10,000 days would live 10,000 years.

There is also some theories about it being the "Garden of Eden" or "Atlantis" of even earlier times. (personally I have started leaning toward Antarctica for this, but that's a different topic.) A lost island or civilization of nonhumans that waned away as mortals became out of touch with the gods of old.

Guest monsnoleedra

I think it was Apollo who was supposed to go there frequently. been awhile since I did my research into it though I recall there have been a lot of speculated places it could have been. Do not recall Atlantis though as that laid West of the pillars of Hercules in the Atlantic according to one theory or the Isle of that was destroyed, Thera or Santorini in other speculative lore. I do vaguely recall that the legend of Shangri la is occasionally equated to Hyperboria as well which would place at the top of the world though in Asia. A whole different mythology for sure but fits the above the land of snow and ice where peace rains supreme and people live forever.

Actually it's funny you should bring it up, Caps, because I have spent this winter mildly obsessed with reading up on Doggerland, Finnoscandia, and all the rest of the Ice Age lands that have drowned. I really do think that Hyperborea was one of those lost lands. They must have been very nice places to live for the most part, especially old Shetland with its high culture.