• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

What are your favorite herbs, methods, etc for smoke divination?

Being a smoker (I know, bad bad) I have thought of ways to employ smoke from cigarettes in divination but haven't yet seen a pattern I can use - aside from "if there is cigarette smoke coming from your mouth, you may be unhealthy" :lol_witch:

For ceremony, I have used poppy seeds for their smoke and crackling - a lot of crackling means a lot of activity and can usually be fortunate, less crackling means more stagnancy, and crackling combined with where the smoke hangs tells me a lot - low smoke that is thick is usually more stagnancy, like sickness or "stuck-ness", quick-to-leave smoke means movement.

For wormwood and mugwort combinations, I find that I can determine spirit activity in a place by how much smoke is produced and where it is going. It usually pays to ask the smoke to show you, and the direction and thickness seem to correspond to the "amount" of activity in a certain place. This works for proximal ("where in this room...?") and distal (here's four coins representing people/places/things, show me where...") seekings, I find.

As a teen, I often took orris root to bonfires to seek out potentially compatible lovers there. This worked for frivolous means - and well, for what it was (giggity).

I have never been great at using smoke from an already existing fire - wood doesn't seem to be my thing.

I am very interested in hearing other's experience with smoke divination. Please, share!

Edited by Ravenshaw, 23 December 2014 - 10:19 AM.

RSKHFMY

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

Except for a couple really big fires with billowing smoke that had pictures in it - I've never even thought of divining with smoke. That is so cool!
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Cedar or pine is good for smoke divination's. Cedar works really well in that you can divine with it but it also acts as a purification source. Has to be green though or the actual fronds as once its dried out it tends to burn really quick and hot.

Sage, usually white sage specifically, can also be used but for me the smell makes it difficult to work with.

I do find that one can divine using fog in the same manner as they would use smoke. The fog actually a bit better to me though as it has the natural eddies and currents that cause it to shift and change.

#4 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:59 PM

Mapacho is by far my favorite (its wild tobacco from the Amazon). I also like palo santo or cedar sometimes, or just whatever I have handy. Often I blend some herbs into the mapacho (sage, damiana ect). I usually smoke some when I want to do divination though, instead of burning like incense (unless its cedar or palo santo, then I burn like incense)....

#5 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

Frangipani and sandalwood combo...
I also use this as a method of divination by seeing the ways/patterns it moves in response to a question or situation ... Smooth smoke rising for calm, turbid patters for turbulence in the situation, etc...

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

There are way too many to list but among some burning favorites are henbane, holly wood, cardamom, thyme, and mint. (not all necessarily together!)
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:06 PM

Honestly I had no idea that other people even did this... It's always been something I really enjoyed using and doing, but I'd never heard or other people doing it. This pleases me :smile:. Did anyone formally learn smoke divination, or was it something instinctual...? Possibly unrelated, but does anyone else do this with fire...?

Edited by Hecolyte, 25 December 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:46 AM

oooh - fire, pretty!
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#9 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

Possibly unrelated, but does anyone else do this with fire...?

---
I can't do it with a candle flame (same as my complete inability to get pendulums to work), but I can divinate with the flames of a campfire for hours!

#10 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 04:01 AM

I suck ass at smoke divination. Pendulum is more my thing, that and rum spitting, but that is more of an ancestral communication thing. I do use henbane for other things though, so maybe I will try that, or the holly wood idea. Maybe it was the method that I used, or just that I was a teenager and randomly burning things,which I am sure had a lot to do with it. Now that I am older I will give it another go, and there are lots of good methods here to try. Thanks for starting the thread, Ravenshaw!
My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#11 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

Last couple of times I burned henbane indoors I probably poisoned myself. Just sayin ;) Traditional use of henbane smoke is to cast weather related spells, but I use it for many things.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#12 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Mugwort and wormwood work very well for spirit divination, like where the spirit is manifesting or enhancing clairaudience. The smoke curling in different direction will answer yes or no questions, although the herbs make me high as a kite. No driving afterwards :)
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#13 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

Honestly I had no idea that other people even did this... It's always been something I really enjoyed using and doing, but I'd never heard or other people doing it. This pleases me :smile:. Did anyone formally learn smoke divination, or was it something instinctual...? Possibly unrelated, but does anyone else do this with fire...?

---
I can't do it with a candle flame (same as my complete inability to get pendulums to work), but I can divinate with the flames of a campfire for hours!

When I was a kid I used to scry into the flames of my parents' fireplace. I also find it easier with larger, warmer fires.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#14 SororMIMM

SororMIMM

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

Though this isn't exactly divination by peering into the smoke itself, I have had some excellent success with smoke divination on paper. I take a candle, feel free to dress with herbs or oils, and run a plain piece of white paper close enough for the smoke to make pictures on the page, though not close enough to burn it! My partner and I found out we were expecting through this form of divination and I've always had good results.

I've also found that as I save the images in a document protector, the images will change over time or become more distinct. Fun stuff!

#15 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:51 PM

I am obsessed with these!
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B001BAH8XU

#16 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:08 AM

Kalina, I love those bricks as well! Balsam Fir is my favorite

#17 Jaesin

Jaesin

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

In the past, I have used sandalwood in conjunction with candle divination by mixing the two.  Of candle divination includes reading the smoke as well, so I thought this would be applicable.  I would supposed burning sandalwood in the cauldron and reading the smoke would be a less complex divination.  I will have to give that a go.

Living the Old Ways in new days,

Jaesin Thorn FB

#18 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

@Kalinia and RG:
Just so you know as a result of your post I was forced to purchase those incense bricks ... :)

I should by all rights own a portion of Amazon by now. It's kind of ridiculous.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#19 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

Hope you love them, Oroboros. I'm a bonfire-addict but I live in a suburban apartment with no fireplace, so I don't get to have bonfires as often as I like. But I have a tiny fire pot that I set on my coffee table, and then I light up one of those bricks and it smells like a campfire. So I get my fix.

And they produce a good spread of smoke for divining.