Photo
- - - - -

December Mini-Competition: Show Us Your Solstice!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:55 PM

What have you created, either recently or in years past, to celebrate the Winter Solstice? Anything and everything can be submitted: art (photography, mixed media, crafts), written word (poems, essays, short stories, chants/spells), recipes (food, drink, herbal concoctions), music, and anything else that embraces the theme of the darkest day of the year. Any and all Paths are welcome!

Because this competition was thought up at the last minute, submission period will be short as well: all entries must be submitted by midnight (GMT) on December 31st. Competitions I host in the future will be held for 30 days. :wink: Participants may enter up to three submissions. To enter, simply post a reply to this thread with your submission(s).

This mini-contest will be judged by me and Ravenshaw. The prize pack [post will be edited with a photo at a later time] includes: a large Dia de Muertos-style skull magnet, a beaded mini witch's ladder (unisex style), and a wooden door hangar (one side says "Privacy please, witchery in progress!", the other says "Come on in, I'm already disturbed!").

Show us how you Solstice!

Edited by ArcticWitch, 21 December 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:37 PM

I want a door hanger!!!!!!!!!
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:40 PM

The skull magnet seems fine as well. :)

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#4 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

Love the prizes!
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#5 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

Here's two out of three of the prizes (hopefully this will get some submissions posted!):

Large skull magnet:
Posted Image

Mini beaded witch's ladder (I hope I made it gender-neutral enough?):
Posted Image

Both were either started and/or completed on winter solstice. Pic of the door hangar will be posted later this week. :thumbsup:

#6 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

Sorry to be posting in on this so late, had a hectic day! I'm excited for this competition, can't wait to see what gets sent our way. Please, don't be shy - submit, submit, submit!!!!

RSKHFMY

#7 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 08:42 PM

Figured I'd give this a little bump since there are only two days left. I'm a little disappointed that there haven't been any submissions yet, but I also understand the lack of submissions due to the spontaneous nature of the competition and its relatively short length.

As a result, I'd like to amend the rules a bit. In order for the full prize pack to be awarded, at least four competitors need to contribute in order to receive the full prize pack. If only 2-3 people compete, I request that the winner select only one of the prizes available so the remaining items can be cycled over into the next (longer!) competition. If only one person contributes, they will get my undying gratitude for taking the time to post their solstice-themed gem. :)

Like Ravenshaw said...don't be shy, please participate!

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

I would submit if I had something to submit, lol... but what I do is mostly words said in the garden, so there's no pics or anything to submit.... even the words are just spontaneous thoughts/feelings, so there's not even a poem or ritual or anything to submit :(

M

#9 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:50 PM

Mine was spontaneous too, but it rhymed, so I'll submit it, why not?

By stone
By sky
By sea
By fire
I speak now my heart's desire
To my Ancestors
To the land spirits
To the wild places and the liminal spaces
I vow to dedicate myself to my Path - by witch's blood, by star, by sea, I dedicate my path to thee.

(Spit 3 times)

By stone, by sky, by sea, by fire, by my words & heart's desire.

Edited by westofthemoon, 29 December 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#10 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:26 AM

Based on the tepid reception (which is understandable: short notice!, I'm afraid I'm going to abide by the original submission deadline and call this one done. Westofthemoon, thank you SO much for your submission: I felt it felt it had a wonderful rhythm to it, Ravenshaw (co-judge) liked how succinct it was, and we both agree that it inspired strong visuals.

I'm considering the possibility of hosting another competition soon, with a much longer submission period. If you have suggestions for themes or mediums, please send me a private message. :)

#11 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Indeed, WOTM, it was a lovely dedication - simple and strong :)

I am excited for other, longer contests. I think they'll do better, this season was rushed and busy.
Still worth a shot though!

RSKHFMY

#12 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

I was going to put up a pic of my Yule/Solstice/Christmas tree which was decorated on all three this year except I can't figure out how to get the pics off my stupid phone. wwhhhhaaaaaaaaa!

#13 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Thanks!! :) so who should I PM my address to?
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#14 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

Damn, I totally forgot this, as I've been terribly busy. LOL

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#15 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:55 AM

I think this competition was an excellent idea. This thread has probably not been noticed by all because of how terribly busy we are over the festive season. I agree that a slightly longer lead time would have helped to publicise the competition a bit more. Also I could post a sticky in the chit chat forum advertising competitions in future. Just PM me, no probs. This is what I would have submitted as my contribution, if I had realised in time for the deadline!

Attached Files

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#16 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

Great Yule log, Tana!

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#17 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:14 AM

So, if I were willing to extend this contest through the end of January- would you fine folks be willing to make submissions? I'd also extend the theme beyond Winter Solstice and into "New Beginnings".

#18 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Can I text you the pics? I still haven't figured out how to get them off my stupid phone!

#19 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Can I text you the pics? I still haven't figured out how to get them off my stupid phone!

---------------

You could try to send them to your email by making a text with them but where you normally put the phone number or select a contact, input your email address. That's how I had to do it on my old phone.

Edited by Gyreleaf, 08 January 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#20 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

It would be so nice if my phone did that. If it does - I have no idea how. I'll take a laptop anyday over a freaking phone. I think it's time to upgrade to an actual smart phone. This one is soooo frustrating.