- - - - -

Do you teach about Krampus?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:31 PM

Now that the Christmas holiday season is upon us I am reminded of the other side of the Christmas story.  Everyone knows how the Jolly old Elf Santa Claus has his list of good and bad children and how the bad ones get coal in their stockings while the good children get presents.  Yet you seldom hear of Krampus the dark creature that punishes bad children and used to be the counter side to Santa Claus' good influence.

While he appears to be more Nordic / Teutonic in origin he is found in some Slavic lore as well.  Explaining the goat looking demon that was occasionally seen on earlier Christmas cards or adds in papers and magazines years ago.

At this time I do not teach my grandchildren about Krampus as I think they are to young and still need a little magic to believe in.  Yet as they get older I may introduce them to the history of Krampus and how he punished the bad children.

#2 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:27 PM

I have never heard of Krampus please do tell!

#3 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

I just explained some of the pre-christian lore tied to St Nicholas (December 6) to a friend of mine, and though we don't know Krampus in the Netherlands, there is a similar character called Black Peter (Zwarte Piet) and in fact the companion of St Nicholas is known in large parts of Europe in many guises and known by many different names. I do think it's important that people learn about the background of these traditions and the function they have (or once had) in stimulating children to behave, but I agree it is better to wait teaching children about all this until they are older, so they can experience the festivities unspoiled by facts they are too young to really appreciate.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

I taught my daughter about him when she was older.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#5 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

Just learned about Krampus myself last year.  Never of heard of him before that.  Very interesting though.  For some reason he reminds me of Hogfather.  Not the same I know.

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Timely...this article popped up in my feed this morning:

http://www.todayifou...hristmas-demon/

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 Raineylane

Raineylane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Timely...this article popped up in my feed this morning:

http://www.todayifou...hristmas-demon/

From the above article:  While Santa gives the good ones gifts and joy, Krampus gives the bad ones beatings with a whip (made from birch sticks and horsehair) and nightmares.

Interesting, when I was a kid I never heard about the lump of coal (from Santa) until I was much older.  But I was told that I would get a bag of switches if I was bad.  Hmmm, makes me wonder if the idea of the switches came from the Krampus story.

#8 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

I was also told that I would get switches if I was naughty, and that if I did that meant that I needed a whipping. Sounds similar.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#9 Kowalski

Kowalski

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

That gives me an idea of making a besom of birch and horse hair for decoration over the festive season. 

Although... I wonder if it could be applied to a spell in some way...  :twisted_witch:

#10 Emrys

Emrys

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:21 AM

Haha. So glad I came upon this. Growing up in Germany and Finland, Krampus and krampusnacht was part of our dec 5th evening and most of december. We grew up expecting him to whip us into good behavior if we were naughty with some of the scarier stories stating he'd take us away forever. My grandpa and his friends would get dressed up in some wonderful krampus costumes and visit us for a scare...then proceed to get drunk at the nearest pub. Ay, good times.

#11 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:10 AM

This last Christmas season, I taught my daughter (who was 3 at the time; she turned 4 yester-day) about Krampus. I think she was pretty scared of him, especially after some warnings that if she didn't behave he would come for her, so we ultimately had to tone it down a bit and assure her that she wouldn't get taken into his sack, because she's a good person, et cetera. 

On Christmas Eve, she helped me leave a glass of brandy for him on the porch. 

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own