Photo
- - - - -

Destroying possessed or accursed objects.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:15 AM

I have been brooding about this thread for some time, let me preface it with a tale:

I have many downright creepy objects, often having energies of different sorts attached to them that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.  Some of them are perhaps haunted by spiritual residue or even human energies.  The types of objects I'm referring to in this thread are beyond the normal creep-o-meter, items that wield some deep possession or genuinely malevolent force within them, reaching out to affect the mundane world within its grasp. 

Some years ago my grandfather passed along several large metal milk canisters from the old family farm, a farm that was purchased some time before the turn of the century by his grandfather.  The farm happens to still be owned by a cousin of mine.  There are four of them, very mundane looking old metal objects that have been repainted black and stand about 2 feet tall.  One of them, just one, struck me as being extremely odd when I first laid eyes on them.  There really is nothing physical to differentiate it from the other three, they all look identical minus some dings and dents.  I immediately sensed there was something wrong with it when I was examining it but could find nothing out of the ordinary on the outside or inside.  The following month I repeatedly had terrible, terrible nightmares and each of them had a common thread: there was the milk canister involved.  I noticed at some point that my mom had taken the other three into the garage area and set them near the back corner but had left the one outside near a gravel tract at the far end of the building.  I normally don't make mention of things like this to my mother but asked her why she had left that one outside...and her response confirmed the same thing I had suspected.  She said something to the effect of "there's something off about that one, I don't like it and I don't want to pick it up anymore so it can stay outside."  I told her I was getting extremely bad vibes from it since I laid eyes on it and we should dispose of it somehow.  She said that pop would notice and we couldn't get rid of anything that was his until he has passed on.  So it sat.  For years...it still sits in the same approximate location. Perhaps 8+ years it has barely moved, and I think the only person who has moved it was my dad.  This summer I noticed something rather strange, it was placed a bit closer to a couple of grape arbors and the vines did very poorly, in fact neither of the two vines closest to it produced any fruit at all this year and there was a brown dead patch of grass directly next to the canister.  I don't know anything about this object other than its family history but it makes me wonder exactly what types of power it holds. 

I have considered ways to destroy it, or any other objects I may come across that are similar.  I think the safest way to dispose of this particular item would be to find a very deep area of the local lake and dump it in there after filling it with concrete and hope it doesn't spread to the lake.  The object itself is actually older than the lake is.  I have also considered messing with it and finding out more from the item itself but for some reason this is one object that I barely want to touch, much less try to communicate with intentionally.  I have dabbled with many nasty entities before, and I'm not even sure if there is an entity involved here but whatever it is can have its privacy for all I'm concerned.

I think the purpose for making this thread is to have a discussion on what to do with accursed, possessed, haunted, whatever objects whether it be destroying it, utilizing it etc.  Has anyone else had any items that are like this?  The topic was inspired by my recent thread about Oculus.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#2 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

Encase it in lead and throw down a mineshaft or abandoned well.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#3 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:15 AM

Haha throwing it down a well isn't a bad idea, makes me think of The Ring lol.  That sounds like a waste of perfectly good lead if you ask me though ;)

#4 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:28 AM

Ha!  Nah, it's pretty traditional actually, to use lead this way.  For reference, check out auld grimoires.  A friend of mine said to use a lead bottle, forcibly call the spirit into it, seal it, and chuck it in the ocean or whatnot.  I don't see why this couldn't be used for cursed object or fetish, and in fact people here have done just that.  It's not a nice thing to do, so don't do it lightly, but it should work if you can manage it.

If you need to contain something for a while, my little method is to put it in a gourd, toss in some devil's shoestrings(plantain roots), seal it, wrap it up in barbwire, and put it somewhere out of sight.  So much the better if you have a freezer in an outbuilding you can stick it in...encasing an item in frozen vinegar should prevent many things from being too problematic.  If you're really pissed off, there are ways to make this a very nasty experience for the entity in question.

Just my two c., in the way of nasty western farmboy witchery.  LOL Just ideas for you....

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#5 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:36 AM

Your last comment reminds me of an African practice that I came across called an nganga...this term is often used to describe a summoner but it is also applied to an object that is used to house an "evil spirit" and is filled with things like lead, nails, chains, etc.

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

Your post also reminded me that the Romans would inscribe curses on lead tablets.

#7 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:11 AM

Defixiones (sp) is the name for the ROman curse tablets and such.

#8 Barnstock

Barnstock

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

Perhaps that one milk can belongs to someone else, and they want it back, or it wants to get back with them.

#9 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

Re the particular item, I'd let sleeping dogs lie. If it is doing nothing by sitting where it sits, then me, I'd leave it there and just not mess with it, lol. Especially if you don't know its history - perhaps it's earned its sleep....  

If you do chuck it down a well, I'd make sure it's a dead well that no longer produces and that no one will be drinking out of, and no cattle or anything else is watered from the run-off...

#10 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

I would say burial might be an option but it's already affected some plants so maybe not. Since its metal, maybe a lightning strike would clean it? Maybe fill the can with dirt, take it to the middle of nowhere & stick a metal rebar in it on a calm day and check it after a storm. I think about the effects of lightning on people so I though this might be a way to dispose of that malicious stuff.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#11 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Or it will turn the milk can I to Frankenstein.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#12 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

I would move it further away from things you're going to eat.

Do you have any areas with very little traffic where you can place it?

Have you tried shielding it to contain it?

You said it's been about 8 years.  Have you scanned it recently?  I'm sure you have a different level of ability today than you did then.  I wonder if you would get a different read on it.

Having something like that within your sphere or home can cause a lot of disruption.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#13 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

A lot of people commenting, do you have any similar experiences? I think you're missing half the point of the thread :P

#14 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

I've only ever came across one item that could possibly be seen as being cursed.  Near as I recall it was like a broach and to hold it made you sick as all get out.  Was very young at the time so don't recall everything that was done with it but I know it couldn't be destroyed nor could it be un-charged.  Near as I recall we ended up tracking down the grave of the woman who laid claim to the item and buried it on her grave to finally get it silenced and returned to the owner who never let go of her claim to it.  So in the end it wasn't so much the item itself was cursed but the energy of the previous owner who laid claim to it and refused to allow it to go from her grasp even after death.

I did deal with one that to others might be cursed yet to me wasn't.  Again a broach type thing that called me and haunted my dreams and waking moments for years.  I knew it had been a pin at one point, a broach at one point and something like a charm at one point.  I would find myself wandering around the house looking everywhere for the thing.  Couldn't tell you why it called me or even really how it was calling me.  Yet my mom, my wife and siblings once in a while would stand or sit and watch as I went around almost like I was in a daze looking for this thing.  I'm talking years of this going on.  Like some zombie in a film as I open drawers, closets, boxes, etc aware yet also semi unaware I was doing it.  Finally one year my Mom and Wife were sitting there and Mom asked me to describe what it was I was looking for.  After a few minutes and attempts to draw it out Mom went into her room and came out with the remains of a broach.  It had started out as a woman's Virgin pin or a collar broach that affixed about the neck of old high collar dresses or shirts.  Over time the virgin pin aspect had broken and a clasp was placed on the back of it to make it like a charm or to be hung on a chain.  That had later broken and a second hoop was placed on the top and at one time an attempt was made to recreate it as a virgin / hat pin.  Held it in my hand and suddenly the drive and desire to find it was gone and I had touched it.

Found out it had belonged to my grandmother and had been around me all my life but never had seen it prior to that.  Discovered she was the grandmother who predicted my gender and birth before I was even conceived or my Mom had meet my Father.  Found out she was the woman who had the photo of a man I always used to see surrounded by flames and could not shake.  Discovered that photo sat above her fire place on the mantle and when the fire was burning the reflection always made it seem like he was surrounded by flames.  He was also the man who stopped me one night on a dark road and made me change my course which probably saved my life though he himself it seems had died the day I was born.  Once I touched it and held it in my hands I've never been called to go looking for it again and what ever purpose it held was passed and completed.

Two differing degree's of cursing of objects and reason for them being cursed.  One from a refusal to let something go even after death.  The other something that had to be given and refused to stop its call untill it was completed.

So I would advise caution before simply trying to destroy or bury an item because it causes misfortune or mis-content to others.   The milk container might actually have a purpose that yet remains incomplete or some spirit remains earth bound because of its connection to the container.  That broach made anyone sick because it wasn't their's and the owner sought its return.

Though sometimes an object simply can not be salvaged nor can it be destroyed all that can be done is to place it in an area where its effects / affects can cause no damage and no life force or energy interacts with it. Like some spitune in some old western dance hall that simply gathers dust and is forgotten.

#15 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

I believe my original tarot deck became haunted or possessed over time.  When I was given the deck, I had zero concept of Cleansing or "resetting" the deck.  For the two years that I used it frequently, it conveyed a lot of 'bad news' (which, unfortunately, was accurate).  I don't know if it was my reaction to the scary/Dark/deathly spreads that caused a poltergeist-like empowerment in the cards, or if the cards were speaking via an entity and not the Web/Current.  Regardless, the deck didn't like being wrapped up and stored in the bottom of a box, untouched, for several years.  It took me a while to figure out what was being increasingly, errr, "jumpy" in the closet- but once I did, the deck got burned.  No more late-night thumping and things jostling around in the closet after that.

Ah, and there was the necklace pendant that my ex gave me that he bought from a thrift shop, and demanded that I wear it every day in lieu of an engagement ring.  But that's a story for another time.

My tarot experience led to me mull over the logistics of dealing with larger items, or items of a material that is much more difficult to destroy.  Something as substantial as a metal milk canister?  It would take me a while to figure out, although I am drawn to the notion mentioned earlier of putting it in deep water that won't be accessible by humans or animals.  Have you ever read the book 'Christine' by Stephen King?  Makes me wonder would could possibly be worse than a possessed automobile!

#16 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

There's a weird story circulating in my family about a painting my maternal grandparents owned. Before my grand-grandparents moved in their house at the end of the 19th century, there was this painting of St. Antony hanging on the wall. Every time they tried to remove the painting, or to move it somewhere else, horrible things would happen. My grandma used to say that at times 'the whole house would be shaken'. Eventually, an auntie took care of it. No one knows what she did or where the painting ended, so no much help here I guess.

I don't know how I would dispose of a metal item of that sort. I guess the first thing I would do is to try and use my tarot deck and see what's going on with the object, if you don't feel liking touching it or spending time around it. Is there something hanging onto it? Is it cursed? Was something trapped into it? I guess this would determine what to do. I would definitely not throw it away in a well or in a lake, as I don't like to poison or mess with people, cattle, fish, plants or whatever lives in a lake or drinks from a well. If I really wanted to dispose of it, I would chose deep sea. But I would not know any cheap way to get there. I don't own a boat. Volcanoes and volcanic places may also be a solution (but if you don't live in, say, Sicily that may be hard to  get to).

So I would probably try to devise some ritual way of containing the effects, of directing them onto something else, or even of trying to exorcise or resolve whatever is attached to the thing.

Don't know if this helps much :/

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#17 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

I would sure want to get rid of a canister that visibly ill-effected vines and grass around it, no matter what. In the case of a tenaciously creepy statue I once owned, I just put it in a garbage container somewhere outside without much concern about where it would end up, as long as it was far away from me and my place. I wouldnt throw the canister in a lake if it meant that it would be still in my area, I would probably pick an as deserted and unreachable place I could think of. Or, another possibility, bury it on someone else's property I had some beef with so it could ill-effect them. I guess it depends a lot on what I would feel most comfortable with.

Edited by Horne, 05 December 2014 - 08:26 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#18 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

I kinda like the landfill for things like this. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#19 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

Caps, just to reply...yes, I am familiar with ngangas, it is an african practice indeed where a spirit is trapped and made to serve.  Colloquially they are called 'spirit pots.'

Yeah lead tablets were used for cursing....

....and yeah people are missing the point of this thread.  Heh.

#20 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Back to the point, then, lol - the only object I've brought in that had an immense amount of negativity attached to it was a bag of unused tags-still-on designer clothes that a very unpleasant lady gave me. So much of her personal negativity was surrounding them that just having the bag in the house was depressing and heavy. I drove them to a dumpster and chucked the whole lot.

M