• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

To avoid these and other annoying side effects, In Italian witchcraft and folk magic the person doing the working will put the 'blame' for the ritual on something / someone else.
It is a quite common practice in many folk magic and cunning traditions, I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

Aria

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#22 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

To avoid these and other annoying side effects, In Italian witchcraft and folk magic the person doing the working will put the 'blame' for the ritual on something / someone else.
It is a quite common practice in many folk magic and cunning traditions, I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

Aria

---
I'm surprised I'd forgotten about the scapegoat tactic. I always assumed it was only needed for exceptionally intense Workings that could spawn severe illness or even death; never thought of applying the approach to protecting my complexion. :teehee:

#23 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

I look forward to hearing about the efficacy of this tactic, upon this subject and others! I have been aware of it, but have never tried applying it to my own practices.
"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#24 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:37 AM

Aria

_________
'Blame' implies wrong doing on the part of the Witch, and hence the need to place that blame elsewhere, so the Witch avoids 'consequences'. Yet many on here talk about taking responsibility and owning your stuff. I am interested to read your thoughts on that.

Also, what implication does that have as to where the 'effects' come from? And, is blame just attached to baneful workings, or also to beneficent workings?

Edited by Autumn Moon, 07 January 2015 - 02:48 AM.

#25 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

I think I can best describe it like a hammer valve in plumbing. (I like references to water when it comes to talking about magic XD) It's the plumbing component that blocks flow reversal, usually it's engaged by either water pressure or sometimes simple gravity. I often have safeguards in place in case of reverse flow, I've seen it referred to on here as a backfire (fire reference?). Even with the most tedious practice I've found I can sometimes get a flow reversal, or it compounds into an even worse problem...something kind of like siphoning.
"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#26 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

_________
'Blame' implies wrong doing on the part of the Witch, and hence the need to place that blame elsewhere, so the Witch avoids 'consequences'. Yet many on here talk about taking responsibility and owning your stuff. I am interested to read your thoughts on that.

Also, what implication does that have as to where the 'effects' come from? And, is blame just attached to baneful workings, or also to beneficent workings?

Not addressed to me but I agree about the notion of blame implying doing something wrong on the part of the practitioner who cast or initiated the action. Personally I do not attempt to shift feedback / return from my actions as the action and reaction are components of what I set in motion and any faulty construction I placed in the creation stage. As such I see the potential for "Consequences" for any working whether it be baneful or beneficial, especially in the aspect it is me who is deciding if such is beneficial or baneful though the recipient of the action may see it differently.

I suppose I see things more from an electrical aspect so know any energy projected will have a standing wave component, potentially a feedback or return wave that is created at the receiving end and funneled back to me along the pathway used to send it. Potentially even creating a repetitive wave that simply bounces back and forth between its point of origin and destination until I open it again to perform some other action and the older wave form becomes a parasite acting upon or encoded within my next action. Like some charge that lingers upon a circuit board component even though power has been removed from it and touching it can cause it to discharge, painfully at times.

#27 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

For people who have experienced this, do you do ritual/spiritual/magical cleansing after workings that set you off?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#28 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

Has anyone tried rose water? It's astringent so be careful how long you steep it or, if you have sensitive skin, it will burn. This is how I made it: infuse 1 oz dried rose petals (non-sprayed) in 1 qt boiling water. Immediately cover & chill 4-24 hours. Strain & apply to face as many times over the course of the day as needed, drink the rest if you like (but it gets really tannic really fast). Another thing that works (ymmv) is comfrey leaf ointment. Just tell the plant spirit that you need help! I how this helps someone. I have pretty clear skin usually and these are just some things I do.

I'm a fair skinned ginger w/sensitive skin and I use a rose hydrosol as a spray after washing my face and apply my moisturizer while my skin is still slightly damp bc it helps the skin to absorb the moisturizer more effectively (any slightly damp skin will do, but I use rose water for its skin care properties). I found some GREAT info about roses in general-like rose otto in a medical journal recently and the benefits were amazing and went beyond just surface skin care. I'll look for it if anyone's interested. I don't make it myself bc the best type of hydrosol is steam distilled and that's one tough process. Rose water has very good anti-inflammatory properties, as do some of the ones I list below.
I do use other essential oils like lavender, Roman Chamomile, sweet marjoram, rosemary, and tea tree (which tends to be the strongest out of the group, so I use it sparingly when I need it). I mix them in mixture of grapeseed oil and sunflower oil and use that as my moisturizer most of the time. Rosemary essential oil is a decent natural and/or alternative preservative Roman Chamomile and Rose Hydrosol are good for reducing redness as well.

Never had this happen to me, and I'm a vain ass bitch too so I wouldn't be too pleased! May I recommend doing a ritual bath with some hyssop after doing these workings, and cleansing the area you worked in? I would use florida water myself, but that's hoodoo so use whatever you would like.

Reason to go to the spa? Hard working witches need love, too!

:biggrin2:

Will you marry me?! Oh wait, I'm already married... lol :tongue: One of my friends may or may not have nicknamed me Miss Boderline Conceited... :flyaway:

That's the thing- I do ritual baths before and after Workings (especially after if I do an unplanned Working). And I rarely work with oils or flying ointments (and when I do, it doesn't go on my forehead!). And my face gets washed daily, and moisturized too in the wintertime. Long story, but I don't have hormonal fluctuations. I wash the pillowcases every week. The context of the original post was quite cut-and-dry: it truly is only after major Workings that I get a break-out, and I only get the predictable "third-eye blackhead" during significant developments of my Path.

I've...I've never been to a spa. :blush: I'm the type of chick who, when she has disposable funds, would rather spend it on expensive ingredients to make a really nice meal, or more art supplies (because there is no such thing as "too many art supplies"). Maybe I'll grow up next decade, when I'm in my 40s, and actually pay money for other people to tend to me. (Just the thought gives me chills- am I the only one who is weirded out by being touched for any reason other than displays of affection?)

Do you a ritual oil on your third eye and if so, what kind? What are the exact ingredients? Theoretically from a medical perspetive it's possible that increased levels of stress related hormones due to heavy/major workings spike and can cause them.
I have a question for you- what happen to know what type of breakout it is? Cystic, whitehead, blackhead, pimple, etc? That could help me narrow down possible reasons, mundane or magic related.

My husband was sooooo hesitant the first time he ever got a massage from a professional. However, after the first one he fell in love. Wish we afford them weekly or even daily!! And no, you're not- my former best friend wouldn't let ANYONE massage her besides me bc she could feel/pick up others' negative energy just by simple touch and she didn't want to risk it at all.

My husband is such a tight wad that any money I spent on that kind of thing would cause such an upheaval, and I am the bread winner. But I need to suck it up BC I really could use some pampering now...I did a really intense working and look like hot shit right now.

Maybe the blemishes that come after the work is done are related to a more simple thing, like stress from the preparation of the ritual. That would make sense.

Fuck.That!!! Seriously girl- money is one of the most common stressors in a marriage and I think both spouses should be allowed to indulge in their "vices", passions, etc. as much as money can permit. Even if it's just something small bc money is tight- like a pedicure once a month or even a new lipstick something. Cutting back on something/adjusting the budget just slightly should allow for that in most cases (most cases that is- I know there are some situations in which it really is near impossible or irresponsible depending on your responsibilities).

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#29 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

_________

You are right, and I guess I chose a wrong word - maybe responsibility would be a wiser choice. I also agree on 'owning your own stuff', but at the same time the first context in which I encountered this practice had more concern for pragmatic issues than personal reflectivity (and I'm not giving a value judgment on this, it is just the way it is).
In Italian folk-magic, it was very common to accompany every operation of a working with self-identification with another person, or more commonly another being. One could say 'It is not me who is doing this, but Archangel Gabriel' or 'Bafomet'. It is not my will, it is theirs. This was done for cursing and attacking, but also very often to undo something which had been done by someone else, like a binding of some sort or a curse. Many find undoing heavy workings tough for the soul and for the body, this seems to help.
Another, more elaborated, version of this (which I would say is more typical of 'witches' than of cunning folk in Italy) is to properly prepare a fetish, and to give responsibility to him.

Personally, I believe that whether one should take or avoid the consequences, or the energies, of what she does is an entirely personal decision. I think a careful practitioner should take time and set everything up so to minimize any unintended damage

Aria.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#30 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

I think I can best describe it like a hammer valve in plumbing. (I like references to water when it comes to talking about magic XD) It's the plumbing component that blocks flow reversal, usually it's engaged by either water pressure or sometimes simple gravity. I often have safeguards in place in case of reverse flow, I've seen it referred to on here as a backfire (fire reference?). Even with the most tedious practice I've found I can sometimes get a flow reversal, or it compounds into an even worse problem...something kind of like siphoning.

_____
I also view it as energy flow back. I put a caveat in any working I do, that either directs as I see fit or grounds any possible errant energy.

#31 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Not addressed to me but I agree about the notion of blame implying doing something wrong on the part of the practitioner who cast or initiated the action. Personally I do not attempt to shift feedback / return from my actions as the action and reaction are components of what I set in motion and any faulty construction I placed in the creation stage. As such I see the potential for "Consequences" for any working whether it be baneful or beneficial, especially in the aspect it is me who is deciding if such is beneficial or baneful though the recipient of the action may see it differently.

I suppose I see things more from an electrical aspect so know any energy projected will have a standing wave component, potentially a feedback or return wave that is created at the receiving end and funneled back to me along the pathway used to send it. Potentially even creating a repetitive wave that simply bounces back and forth between its point of origin and destination until I open it again to perform some other action and the older wave form becomes a parasite acting upon or encoded within my next action. Like some charge that lingers upon a circuit board component even though power has been removed from it and touching it can cause it to discharge, painfully at times.

_________
I find that my wording (mental, voiced or written) must accurately reflect what I want, other wise I might get some errant energy floating about. Some handle this by grounding after, but this does not seem to work for me. I also put in a safety valve (see above post).

#32 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:28 PM

You are right, and I guess I chose a wrong word - maybe responsibility would be a wiser choice. I also agree on 'owning your own stuff', but at the same time the first context in which I encountered this practice had more concern for pragmatic issues than personal reflectivity (and I'm not giving a value judgment on this, it is just the way it is).
In Italian folk-magic, it was very common to accompany every operation of a working with self-identification with another person, or more commonly another being. One could say 'It is not me who is doing this, but Archangel Gabriel' or 'Bafomet'. It is not my will, it is theirs. This was done for cursing and attacking, but also very often to undo something which had been done by someone else, like a binding of some sort or a curse. Many find undoing heavy workings tough for the soul and for the body, this seems to help.
Another, more elaborated, version of this (which I would say is more typical of 'witches' than of cunning folk in Italy) is to properly prepare a fetish, and to give responsibility to him.

Personally, I believe that whether one should take or avoid the consequences, or the energies, of what she does is an entirely personal decision. I think a careful practitioner should take time and set everything up so to minimize any unintended damage

Aria.

________
Thanks for the clarification.

I always understood the incorporation of any deity figure (Christ in the case of wise and cunning men and women, or other deity(s) for other beliefs) as a way to 'power' the working (spell), but I guess it could also work as a safety. However why would any deity want to take flack for the one doing the spell, has always been my opinion.

Do you mean to create a fetish so it is the target of any backlash? My understanding of a fetish would be to protect you, but not to just be a target. At least, that is my concept of it.

#33 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

Semantics of 'blame' aside- I have zero problem using a scapegoat in Workings against certain types of people and entities because ruthlessness is required. I'm talking about neighborhood threats, like a house rented by a gaggle of convicted child molestors, or a compound that produces a variety of drugs (including meth). I personally don't see the utilization of a scapegoat when it's one witch against a slew of hardcore harmful energies to be an avoidance of personal accountability- quite the opposite, actually- but that's just my very unsubstantiated personal opinion. :)

#34 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

Semantics of 'blame' aside- I have zero problem using a scapegoat in Workings against certain types of people and entities because ruthlessness is required. I'm talking about neighborhood threats, like a house rented by a gaggle of convicted child molestors, or a compound that produces a variety of drugs (including meth). I personally don't see the utilization of a scapegoat when it's one witch against a slew of hardcore harmful energies to be an avoidance of personal accountability- quite the opposite, actually- but that's just my very unsubstantiated personal opinion. :smile:

_________
I view that as just additional part of the working, but i think that the witch would still have personal accountability, because the witch is the one who did the working. However, I know that some witches use a method of scapegoating when doing a working for another non-witch, where any repercussions go to the person asking for the working.

#35 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

_________
However, I know that some witches use a method of scapegoating when doing a working for another non-witch, where any repercussions go to the person asking for the working.

---
I presume that the witch is absolved of accountability in these situations because it isn't their own Will and desire that they manifesting via the Working, but rather that of their non-witch client?

[Edited for formatting]

Edited by ImamSua, 07 January 2015 - 06:45 PM.

#36 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

---
I presume that the witch is absolved of accountability in these situations because it isn't their own Will and desire that they manifesting via the Working, but rather that of their non-witch client?

[Edited for formatting]

____
I would not think so. The witch is involved in it just as much as the client, perhaps more so because he/she is doing the working.

#37 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

---

[Edited for formatting]

Doesn't that position then absolve anyone from any crime if they were not acting under their own will. Son of Sam innocent as it was the voices telling him who to kill and what to do, not his own will. Imagine all the innocent people behind bars then because they claim they were not in control.

Sorry to me doesn't matter the why you dropped the snow ball and started it rolling, only matters that you did so. Had you not dropped it then it would not have started or resulted in the outcome it produced.

#38 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

My critical thinking skills have been a bit wonky today (long story).

AM and Mons, you've both got me thinking. I've since revised my perspective on accountability for baneful services performed by a witch for a non-witch. A witch isn't an inanimate object like a gun that is wielded by the non-witch; the witch is a compliant party to the client's desires for the Working and, at the very least, morally accountable for the consequences of the working. I would suspect that a scapegoat wouldn't necessarily absolve the witch of accountability with occult forces, but simply provide a decoy so the witch escapes any detrimental fall-out.

Now I'm wondering what the accountability is for a witch performing mediumship and divination. Is the culpability any different for a witch who, at the request of a non-witch, channels a destructive energy that reveals hurtful things to the client? It could be said that, yes, the witch can indeed be held responsible, because a witch with any common sense would understand the risk involved with allowing their faculties to be taken over by some one or some Thing other than themselves. But I see the flip side as well, that the witch isn't specifically responsible for information that is conveyed, and that the information could theoretically be exchanged directly with the non-witch with zero help from a witch. Thoughts?

#39 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

AM and Mons, you've both got me thinking. I've since revised my perspective on accountability for baneful services performed by a witch for a non-witch. A witch isn't an inanimate object like a gun that is wielded by the non-witch; the witch is a compliant party to the client's desires for the Working and, at the very least, morally accountable for the consequences of the working. I would suspect that a scapegoat wouldn't necessarily absolve the witch of accountability with occult forces, but simply provide a decoy so the witch escapes any detrimental fall-out.

Now I'm wondering what the accountability is for a witch performing mediumship and divination. Is the culpability any different for a witch who, at the request of a non-witch, channels a destructive energy that reveals hurtful things to the client? It could be said that, yes, the witch can indeed be held responsible, because a witch with any common sense would understand the risk involved with allowing their faculties to be taken over by some one or some Thing other than themselves. But I see the flip side as well, that the witch isn't specifically responsible for information that is conveyed, and that the information could theoretically be exchanged directly with the non-witch with zero help from a witch. Thoughts?

I personally think your getting into the notion of self accountability, culpability and responsibility versus stupidity.

If I act as a hollow bone or talking stick then I simply convey the message but hold no ownership or responsibility over the message or what the person does or doesn't do with the material. Under such conditions I am somewhat ridden but not possessed. If I summon something then it is my responsibility to take precautions against it and ensure both me and the person I am aiding are protected properly. That maybe via appropriate wards, sigils, glyphs, etc but also accepting the accountability that I am skilled and experienced enough to actually be doing something of that nature. I see far to many ego stroker's in the pagan community today in that regard. The ever popular if you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bullshit.

It's like I can preach about drinking and driving all I want but I do not have culpability for their actions. Yet if I were to be providing the drink then I have accountability and responsibility for my part in allowing them to become drunk and a certain degree of culpability for allowing them to leave and drive under those conditions. Yet there is also a certain degree of surrendering of their responsibility and accountability to me if I wish to assume a degree of responsibility and accountability for them.

Yet for me it all goes back to individual accountability for ones actions, responsibility for what your doing or going to do, accepting culpability for the outcome or results that you are in a position to control. Ethical position in being truthful and upfront in what you are actually capable of doing and skill level you possess. Failure in any one category potentially leading to dangerous or harmful returns / results against yourself, the person you are aiding and collateral damage to those connected to you such as immediate family member's, friends, etc.

#40 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

________
I don't think crafting and mediumship/divination can be compared to each other,because in medium-ship/divination the Witch or non-witch (you don't have to be a witch to be a medium or do divination), you are just conveying a message/information. It's really apples and oranges type of thing. A client that asks for contact with a relative or a divination of something, is just that, and they get their answer, which in most cases is beneficial to them.