• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:08 AM

I recently assisted in what was, for me, a fairly significant Working.  Although nothing in my diet or hygiene has changed, I'm disgruntled at the state of my face.  I typically have no blemishes, but a rather large part of my face has broken out quite badly in the days since the Working!  

Is this a normal occurrence?  I'm not looking for mundane skincare advice here, just wondering if this is something commonly encountered by others on their respective Paths.  I should also add that I get a single blemish directly over my third eye (that takes forever to develop and heal) whenever I- in video game parlance- "go up a level" on my Path.

#2 Barnstock

Barnstock

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Without details of the working, I'm going to assume none of the obvious possibilities, such as anointing the area with oils, or that you may have gotten your fingers into some herbs and accidentally transfered the oils from them to your face. So it might be that your hormones got thrown out of whack by a highly emotional state, again, not knowing the nature of the working.

Personally, I have never noticed this kind of effect, but I do know that whenever I throw a curse or hex, I get mildly sick for a day.

#3 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

AW, my personal opinion on this is that when we do a strong working it can take a lot out of us physicaly and mentaly so i would guess you have drained and stressed your body a fair amount. If you think about it when a person gets stressed in some ways certain people get breakouts and it being over your third eye I'm thinking that maybe you pushed your minds eye a little to far stressing it causing the blemishes. You figure as a witch when we do magic it is something that affects our hole body. Even though this is kinda new foe you to get these remember as we get older our bodies change so the affects of our magic on our body will also change. There's a first time for everything. :wink:

#4 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:10 PM

I never experienced blemished skin, but I do seem to have a skin "issue" after doing intense workings: very dry skin, usually on my forehead, and along the sides of my nose, and my lips go dry for about a week or so. This happened too often to be a coincidence, whatever causes it.

Edited by Horne, 03 December 2014 - 04:10 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

What hawkwind said.

Some of the workings we do put major stress on our bodies.  It happens to me if I don't replace the energy that was spent.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#6 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

I guess I've been dismissive about how much of a physical impact workings can have. Thanks for the input, everybody!

#7 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

Glad you posted this, AW, I turn into super pizza face fuckfest after a really intense working and I always get a big "unicorn horn" on my 3rd eye.  Once I got weird zits on my chakra areas up my spine, it was uber gross.  I thought I was the only person this happened to and felt like the old hag witch covered in boils. I never had bad skin until this started to happen,either, about 10 years ago in my early 20s.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

*edited for typo my cat walked on the keyboard

Edited by RachelLiz, 03 December 2014 - 07:46 PM.

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#8 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

The only thing I have found, is that I have trouble sleeping after doing a working.

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:45 PM

When I was a teenager and started developing acne (which fortunately wasn't very terrible) I had a persistent blemish in my third eye area until I was about 19-20 years old.  I've never had one since right there but there is a mild scar/pit there.  I do have a skin condition that I've noticed flares a lot on the sides of my torso when I'm doing dreamwork, I use an herbal remedy for it when I have the ingredients, otherwise I just scratch.  Scratching is so bad but it feels so right :)

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#10 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 06:26 PM

A bit off topic but.. a (witch) friend told me, that the practice of crossing (w/ holy water or oil) on the baby's forehead during baptism is to close the third eye- has anyone else heard that?

Then, as to the acne; I agree, it could be that's the cost to your energy for the spell. Perhaps replenish, protect or offer a substitute.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

Cost for the spell - could that be vanity?  Think about it - I really HATE when my face is fucked up.  I hate looking like a pepperoni pizza.  I don't leave the house if I don't have to until it goes away.  Which actually, works really well for me.  If and when I do a working that kicks my ass like that, I actually prefer the down to time recuperate and not have to deal with silly mundane life stuff.

It happens.  I don't know why - just that it does.  I have some theories but - they're theories.  So, I just roll with it.  What else am I gonna do?  Fight it?  Right, cuz that always kicks your ass even more.  LOL

If I've worked hard - I look it.  Sometimes, like you came out of a boxing match.  I looked just as good as when I finished a 24 hour, 1,200 mile round trip.  That was fun.  Not. 

Replenishing and pampering yourself is most helpful in recovering and recuperating.  Take that luxurious salt bath, take a couple days and hang out in your jammies if you can.  Nurture yourself, eat right, get the rest that you need.  We have to take care of ourselves.  Who else is going to do it for us?

#12 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

Cost for the spell - could that be vanity?  Think about it - I really HATE when my face is fucked up.  I hate looking like a pepperoni pizza.  I don't leave the house if I don't have to until it goes away.  Which actually, works really well for me.  If and when I do a working that kicks my ass like that, I actually prefer the down to time recuperate and not have to deal with silly mundane life stuff.

It happens.  I don't know why - just that it does.  I have some theories but - they're theories.  So, I just roll with it.  What else am I gonna do?  Fight it?  Right, cuz that always kicks your ass even more.  LOL

If I've worked hard - I look it.  Sometimes, like you came out of a boxing match.  I looked just as good as when I finished a 24 hour, 1,200 mile round trip.  That was fun.  Not. 

Replenishing and pampering yourself is most helpful in recovering and recuperating.  Take that luxurious salt bath, take a couple days and hang out in your jammies if you can.  Nurture yourself, eat right, get the rest that you need.  We have to take care of ourselves.  Who else is going to do it for us?

RoseRed that is so so true. I really need that down time too afterward, physically and mentally.  I am a vain ass bitch, I will admit that quickly.  Paying for my workings with zits of doom truly hits me where it hurts.  Being the Southern belle that I am, I will not leave the house without makeup.  I was in pageants, a Cotillion debutante, a sorority...that lot. So yeah, I am vain.  There are some things that makeup will not hide, or it can be garish in a Tammy Faye Baker kinda way to wear it at times.  Those days I stay home and if it is during the school year I call in for a substitute.  It is a price worth paying to me though, for the benefit of the working, to exchange a little personal humiliation for whatever purpose that it served. 

Edited by RachelLiz, 07 December 2014 - 12:44 AM.

Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#13 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:07 AM

You and me, both.

#14 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Has anyone tried rose water? It's astringent so be careful how long you steep it or, if you have sensitive skin, it will burn. This is how I made it: infuse 1 oz dried rose petals (non-sprayed) in 1 qt boiling water. Immediately cover & chill 4-24 hours. Strain & apply to face as many times over the course of the day as needed, drink the rest if you like (but it gets really tannic really fast). Another thing that works (ymmv) is comfrey leaf ointment. Just tell the plant spirit that you need help! I how this helps someone. I have pretty clear skin usually and these are just some things I do.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#15 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

Since we're going in this direction, I find reddit.com/r/skincareaddiction to be extremely helpful in these matters.

Regarding magically induced blemishes, I have no comment. It's never happened to me.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#16 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:17 AM

Never had this happen to me, and I'm a vain ass bitch too so I wouldn't be too pleased!  May I recommend doing a ritual bath with some hyssop after doing these workings, and cleansing the area you worked in?  I would use florida water myself, but that's hoodoo so use whatever you would like.

Reason to go to the spa?  Hard working witches need love, too!  

:biggrin2:

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#17 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:26 AM

That's the thing- I do ritual baths before and after Workings (especially after if I do an unplanned Working).  And I rarely work with oils or flying ointments (and when I do, it doesn't go on my forehead!).  And my face gets washed daily, and moisturized too in the wintertime.  Long story, but I don't have hormonal fluctuations.  I wash the pillowcases every week.  The context of the original post was quite cut-and-dry: it truly is only after major Workings that I get a break-out, and I only get the predictable "third-eye blackhead" during significant developments of my Path.

I've...I've never been to a spa.   :blush:  I'm the type of chick who, when she has disposable funds, would rather spend it on expensive ingredients to make a really nice meal, or more art supplies (because there is no such thing as "too many art supplies").  Maybe I'll grow up next decade, when I'm in my 40s, and actually pay money for other people to tend to me.  (Just the thought gives me chills- am I the only one who is weirded out by being touched for any reason other than displays of affection?) 

#18 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:42 AM

Hmm, I'm stumped then!

Trust me, going to the spa is well worth the money.  Pedicure, full body massage, and facial, having your toes werked whilst you sip on mimosas.  Ok, that may be the gayest damn thing I've ever said but it's pure indulgence!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#19 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

My husband is such a tight wad that any money I spent on that kind of thing would cause such an upheaval, and I am the bread winner. But I need to suck it up BC I really could use some pampering now...I did a really intense working and look like hot shit right now.

Maybe the blemishes that come after the work is done are related to a more simple thing, like stress from the preparation of the ritual. That would make sense.

#20 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:43 AM

Well, that's just not right. My wife and I spend equally (almost, she spends more on clothes, while I spend more on other things), but we always discuss together, and are not tight fisted with each other (I'm the bread winner).

The stress avenue cause makes sense.