6 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:54 PM

I fiddled with some home protections. The next day my dog wouldn't go outside. It immediately occurred to me that my protections were trapping my dog inside. I think that was an easy connection to make.

Some other connections are not so easy for me to make. An odd feeling, a curious message from a friend, and a new opportunity are on their own not significant, but perhaps together may signify something of great magnitude.

Lately I am finding more value in backing up and viewing my life as a whole instead of trying to analyze each situation as if it existed in a vacuum. Like a spider in the center of her web, it is silly to catch a horse fly and then be befuddled as to why some threads are torn.

I find value in using the web as a metaphor for my life. When I view things as being interconnected, patterns seem to emerge that help me see witchcraft not as a skill or hobby, but as a way of life and who I am. Whether I like it or not :P

I think it would be short-sighted for a witch to put up protections one day and the next day blame the dog's odd behavior on something else. In the same way, I think it is important to understand connections and patterns that may not be so obvious.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

I nodded in agreement with nearly every point you made.  I've had very similar revelations on my Path recently as well.

However, I would like to offer a word of caution to anyone who finds his or herself struggling to maintain a healthy personal perception of the Web.  (And I do mean 'healthy', not necessarily 'comfortable' or 'easy'.)  I've seen people with Talent drive themselves mad over trying to recognize patterns.  They get obsessive- to a destructive degree- when they try to put every single personal experience, event, and observation into some sort of Master Context.  They end up becoming too afraid to live their Life (mundane or magical) because they're so afraid of how interconnected everything is.  They got 'stuck' and never got the point of accepting Synchronicity, subsequently embracing it and using it to their benefit.

Am I saying that we shouldn't analyze patterns?  Of course not.  I just question how much progress someone can make on their Path if they spend all of their time trying to figure out how it all works, rather than spending at least some time learning from the results of practical application of their Gifts.  And, with what I've seen throughout the years, there's quite a number of people out there who spend their lives doing just that.

#3 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

I fiddled with some home protections. The next day my dog wouldn't go outside. It immediately occurred to me that my protections were trapping my dog inside. I think that was an easy connection to make.

Some other connections are not so easy for me to make. An odd feeling, a curious message from a friend, and a new opportunity are on their own not significant, but perhaps together may signify something of great magnitude.

Lately I am finding more value in backing up and viewing my life as a whole instead of trying to analyze each situation as if it existed in a vacuum. Like a spider in the center of her web, it is silly to catch a horse fly and then be befuddled as to why some threads are torn.

I find value in using the web as a metaphor for my life. When I view things as being interconnected, patterns seem to emerge that help me see witchcraft not as a skill or hobby, but as a way of life and who I am. Whether I like it or not :tongue:

I think it would be short-sighted for a witch to put up protections one day and the next day blame the dog's odd behavior on something else. In the same way, I think it is important to understand connections and patterns that may not be so obvious.

I think you're right Wex, and I also love the significance of the image of the web. You shake the web, what you do ripples throughout the web, and the web starts reverberating, and you're in turn affected by those things coming back to you. To me that's like a never ending process, and I tend to see the web as an entire single organism, in which everything interacts. 

Recently I've been doing some money and prosperity work, and I have had not only some money come my way, but people started giving me some other things as well, like my upstairs neighbour giving me a bicycle she no longer used (and I needed a spare one because I lost one to theft, though she didn't know that), and yesterday my neighbour across the street gave me some beautiful leadlight windows she wanted to get rid of. These events are all connected, and I in turn (as I am decluttering) am going to give away some items as well to others I know that can use them.

I remember brainstorming here with others a couple of months ago about my frustrations regarding my backyard garden, and soon, seemingly out of nowhere a letter from the housing company arrived with the announcement they were going to redevelop and sanitize my garden and the neighbouring gardens as well. I love how this stuff works!

Another example is that since I began to connect with the neighbourhood pigeons, feeding them on a daily basis, collecting their feathers and using them in my workings, they not only started eating out of my hand, but then also started sitting in my hand (some even fighting to be in it now) and I in turn feel very empowered by them, amazing creatures that they are, and I learn a lot by studying them and their behaviour and characteristics.

Sometimes it takes a while to recognize less obvious connections between seemingly seperate events, but usually things fall into place at a significant time, and then I'm like damn, why didn't I see that before!

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#4 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

Excellent point AW, I see it that way too. Becoming obsessed with pattern recognition and how things exactly affect or may affect one another is not healthy. In my opinion in doing so one doesn't only lose natural spontaneity in their interactions with life, but the flow of life also seems to become stagnant or cramped up. 

Edited by Horne, 02 December 2014 - 08:00 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#5 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

I agree AW!

Sometimes I will question whether small or random events that happen and wonder if they are some sort of sign or special event. They typically are not. It is only when I look back that I see things click in to place. Not every bird that flies in to my yard can be an omen, sometimes birds are just birds.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#6 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:59 AM

Go you!  You're right.  Sometimes, a bird is just a bird.  :)

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#7 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Dido AW! :smile: