• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

I have been kind of pulled toward using fire in my craft but want to learn some of the uses of fire in witchcraft. Want to expand my methodes anyone have some knowledge on this? Would love to learn about it. :thinking:

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Do you have a fireplace?

I was working a spell for a friend and was going to use candle magic.  I looked across the room and said - 'screw it - I have a fireplace!'.  \

It worked beautifully! 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:41 PM

I regularly burn pouches containing spell ingredients, using a brass flower pot and turpentine or methylated spirit. 

edit: if you do this, don't inhale the smoke LOL

Edited by Horne, 23 November 2014 - 06:46 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

I don't use fire a lot as I don't have a fireplace and I find it difficult to actually burn things in a candle flame (I have actually tried holding things in a tea strainer and burning them over the flame, lol). I use the symbolism of fire in the form of light, comfort, etc., nightly via battery candles in the window overlooking my Elder trees, and also one in my bedroom window. On occasion I will actually burn something to change it from one form to another, but again, I don't have access to open fire. I will burn to turn into smoke as a delivery system sometimes as smoke rises and catches in the wind and where I live the elevation is very low. 

#5 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

For major ceremonies & rituals I always use an open fire.  Depending upon where you live there can be many options for laying a ground fire.  One many use today is the fire that is laid in a metal trash can lid.  Can be small or large, leaves no residue upon the ground (what is called low impact camping and workings) and can be used in any number of places.  Of course for those with access there are fire pits, ground fires, sunken fires or even grill type fires.  Don't see them much any more but at one time many people in apartments with open balconies used to have habatchi's on the balcony for small grill usage.

For me personally I use fire for transmuting of physical into spiritual in the sense of burning an item to release its purpose or essence as an offering or libation.

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

I burn everything.  The biggest reason is because it minimizes evidence of any workings I may have done.

Pouches with ingredients, sigils, animal carcasses, cloth, hair and fingernails, the list goes on.

For me it isn't so much as important as burning things but more that I use the ashes for most instances.

I use ashes often for various uses.  For me ashes represent a transformation beyond death, since typically whatever you burn is already dead.  Burning, say, a dead bird and collecting its ashes/remains in a metal canister or a colander you can store it a lot easier than collecting salts in a boil.  Boiling is another important part of using fire.

I will place a deer skull cap with ingredients near a fire with wax and ingredients in it, the wax will melt and encase the ingredients, I can store them for a later use.

You can take pieces of quartz and burn them with ingredients, when done properly the quartz becomes glass and can be used to store the energy of the spell.

I use oak ashes for cleansing purposes.

Smudging is a pretty common practice, that also uses fire/smoke.  I smudge with all kinds of ingredients, some of which I should probably do outdoors because of the fumes (like henbane) but I don't :party9:

Edited by Caps, 23 November 2014 - 09:35 PM.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

I used to look for sprites in the candle light I used for workings at midnight.
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

Caps - can you make a thread with directions for burning quartz into glass?  That would be so awesome!

#9 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

Sure, give me a little while to gather my thoughts on it.

#10 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

YAY!!!

#11 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

I love to burn stuff :)

I use it to deploy my spells for the most part. I also use candles to communicate with my spirits, making sure the AC is off and there are no drafts. I read the way the flame flickers. Works quite well.

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#12 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

I do use candles for a lot of working/spells also for gazing and spirit communication. I like the idea Caps had about using the ashes, that is something that I will definitely incorporate into my work. Thanks guys for your input! :thumbsup:

#13 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:00 AM

YAY!!!

here you go, I don't know how helpful it is

http://www.tradition...ng-with-quartz/

#14 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:20 PM

I like to use candles for spells. The left over wax and other ingredients kept or got rid of, depending on purpose.

Anyone use fire to destroy or stop a spell?

#15 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:58 AM

I have learned a greater understanding of fire by dancing with it. Befriending is not the word....mutual respect? I have learned that fire is incredibly physically energizing and hypnotic. Using it as a tool for art has shown me the power it has in the realm of mesmerizing people and holding their undivided, unguarded interest. If I need to get into someone's head, I will definitely consider fire as a tool, through dance. It has also taught me the power of active meditation, and centering while moving. While it is indeed dangerous when it is not respected fully, it can be a powerful aid and weapon against others. Humans rely on fire in so many ways - light, heat, food, molecular processes - my mistake when I first worked with fire was seeing fire in *just* fire form, and it is not that at all....it has power in many avenues of our lives, some quite hidden beneath our gaze. I have been thinking more about the control fire has over humans, as we are endotherms....our body's system and energy use alone produces heat.

Fire, while certainly a lovely destruction aid, is not merely that at all. It is the "fuel" of life, the overseer of day, the "peak" of the energy curve, the great consumer, and the element with the pickiest temper.  

RSKHFMY

#16 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:55 PM

Hoorah!

#17 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

Beautifully stated.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#18 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

Fire, while certainly a lovely destruction aid, is not merely that at all. It is the "fuel" of life, the overseer of day, the "peak" of the energy curve, the great consumer, and the element with the pickiest temper.  

___

To clarify, I just wanted to know if anyone used it in that way, besides the other ways.

The body needs water to balance the fire element in the body, otherwise destruction results, and vice versa. 

#19 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Of course one would think which type of wood to use as being important. 

#20 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

Of course one would think which type of wood to use as being important. 

_______

How would the type of wood change the characteristics of the 'flame(s)'? I can see the ashes being important, but not so much the type of wood affecting the fire/flame itself.