Photo
- - - - -

Teaching and Being Thaught

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Would you mind sharing that w/me perhaps via PM? I meditate almost on a daily basis and am really interested in this technique. Thanks in advanced if you don't mind. :smile:

Practice reviewing other memories that are firmly set in your mind.  Look at the details that you can actually see outside of your realm of focus.  You can even practice making changes within the snapshot of that memory like changing the color of a lamp.  This way you learn what it feels like when you change it.

Once you become proficient at remotely viewing firm memories you expand into the older ones or ones that aren't quite so set.  Just watch from the edges at first because you don't want to corrupt it.  Some things may be painful but it's your own pain.  Own it so no one can use it against you.

I've found that it's the little details that matter the most in important situations.

(for a really cheesy movie reference - it's like Dumbledore sticking his face in the bowl and reviewing things.)  For the record - I learned this technique before the movies came out.  Am I showing my age?  LOLOL

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#22 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

As I stated in previous posts, uncertainty about the ways I'd be teaching is one of the main reasons why I chose not to teach. That I didn't say that a great part of my everyday work consists in teaching, especially for long term and in close one-to-one interactions. When I'm working with one of my students, there are some clear boundaries set in place and our exchange (because, as you say, we mutually learn from each other), although may fly over different topics, is mainly intellectual. This allows me to have a great deal of patience, and to weight much carefully what I say, which I think is one of the daily routines of someone who teaches.

My problem is that, as I sleep most of the nights with this person, I do not know if I'd manage to be the good teacher that I am at school. Where would those boundaries be?  I haven't done it, so I actually do not know, but it just doesn't feel right. I am sure that there are very many people out there who manage to be amazing teachers in witchcraft and boyfriend.

I'm just not one of them.

For me teaching witchcraft would be closer to your last sentence. The people from whom I learnt the most shared precise workings only when I was well on the way, and I appreciate it when I look back. Said that, I often do share some of my most tested and guaranteed workings. There are some that have passed into quite many hands now, among which a spell for the winter solstice that I know many of my witch friends have been using for years. I am very proud of that :smile:

I think there is value and knowledge in sharing, and I would not mind at all doing it with my boyfriend once he is a bit versed. But tutoring him and teaching from scratch, because that's what it is, no way. I wouldn't feel confident enough, and I like him a lot...I'd spare him :wink:

Aria

____

As mentioned, if you are not comfortable with teaching him, then you would not be able to teach effectively. Like you, my Uni degree was in Education. I found than teaching is just something natural to me in various settings such as professional, classroom, spouse, friends. When giving it more thought, people in close relationships teach each other all the time.

#23 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:46 PM

Practice reviewing other memories that are firmly set in your mind.  Look at the details that you can actually see outside of your realm of focus.  You can even practice making changes within the snapshot of that memory like changing the color of a lamp.  This way you learn what it feels like when you change it.

Once you become proficient at remotely viewing firm memories you expand into the older ones or ones that aren't quite so set.  Just watch from the edges at first because you don't want to corrupt it.  Some things may be painful but it's your own pain.  Own it so no one can use it against you.

I've found that it's the little details that matter the most in important situations.

(for a really cheesy movie reference - it's like Dumbledore sticking his face in the bowl and reviewing things.)  For the record - I learned this technique before the movies came out.  Am I showing my age?  LOLOL

Voted up for bravely showing your age..  :tongue: lol..jk. Voted up for providing me the info. :thankyou:

Ha Ha...the Dumbledore reference is actually helpful. I'll def give this a try and report back on my progress. I assume it'll take a while to get the technique down pat. Thank you again. 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#24 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:25 AM

Yeah, it's a process but once you get it down - it's a very cool skill.

#25 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

I'm excited to try it! I'm gonna give it a go tonight I believe, as I'm sure it's gonna take me a bit to get the hang of it.

Hey, would mind if I pm'd you about something related to this area (in a way) that's a bit more personal? 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#26 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

No, I don't mind.

#27 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

You can learn a lot from teaching others....  When you really have to explain yourself in a way that other people can understand, you end up clarifying some of your own beliefs to yourself, and it is really powerful what can come up sometimes.  If you decide to teach this person, I think it will be a really great learning experience for you as well.

You dont have to show up with a lesson plan even.  Just invite them to participate in or watch a ritual you perform.  Or ask them to design a ritual, and then help them fine-tune it.  I spend a couple months studying in Peru every year, and half the time, I cant even speak the same language as my teacher - but you can learn so much just from watching and participating.  Also, just by being around when the spirits are called in allows you to start making a personal relationship with them, and in my experience they are the best teachers anyways, but sometimes hard for beginners to encounter on their own.