• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

I want to do the rite of Cain as an initiation to the LHP. The book I'm reading suggests to paint the Grand Luciferian Circle on a canvas drop cloth. I have time to do it this weekend. My question is as an alternative, can I mark the circle in other ways, like with candles or stones in the cardinal directions and maybe tiny tables or stones to mark the triangle? I've got carpet floors or else I would use chalk to draw it. My concern is my painting skills aren't great, especially on large scale with details.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

They don't need to be great to draw a circle.  If you do go with the canvas, pin it down, stick a pin with a string the diameter of the circle in the center and you can draw it out like that.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

Thank you!!! Why didn't I think of that? I've slready got paint pens ;)
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#4 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

Sorry for typo. Couldn't find where to edit.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think the simple things are usually the hardest to think of.

:)

#6 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

When I used circles for the first time I bought a round carpet the size I liked, flipped over I could draw on the bottom side. I drew a cross on it for the four directions with a permanent marker.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#7 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

Dude!  That's brilliant!

#8 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

When I used circles for the first time I bought a round carpet the size I liked, flipped over I could draw on the bottom side. I drew a cross on it for the four directions with a permanent marker.

Yes, that could work! I can turn it over when I need it.

#9 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

Flip it over again and it will appear a regular carpet to the unaware. ;)

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#10 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I could also draw it out and cast it mentally.

#11 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:13 PM

Just to be a counter voice but you do realize that once drawn and activated it remains as both a portal and sacred space.  So even turned to the floor the portal is open and the power of creation / manifestation remains to whomever might just happen to stand over it and pray so to speak.  Turned face down it also could be construed as a negative portal that is creating an open circuit for anything to come through.  People like to short cut ceremonial and high magics but there is a reason for all the bells, whistles and wardings that go with it.

#12 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

Just to be a counter voice but you do realize that once drawn and activated it remains as both a portal and sacred space. So even turned to the floor the portal is open and the power of creation / manifestation remains to whomever might just happen to stand over it and pray so to speak. Turned face down it also could be construed as a negative portal that is creating an open circuit for anything to come through. People like to short cut ceremonial and high magics but there is a reason for all the bells, whistles and wardings that go with it.

Come to think of it closing or shutting down the GLC is not discussed in the book (Luciferian Magick for Beginners), so I will need to close the portal after I'm finished and ward the room so that 1. Nothing gets in when I'm done and 2. Confine the energies to my room so that they don't mess with the anyone else in the house.

Edited to add banishing.

Edited by Izzie, 14 November 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#13 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

They didn't include banishing in the book? Always get rid of everything you call forth and invoke!

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#14 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

To add another counter voice I also hope you realize that once turned you create a shadow portal in that the design will become almost like a negative upon the bottom floor or carpet smudged from the form created upon the one carpet.  So you actually create two portals with all the bells, whistles and such where one is physical and the other almost a negative inverse of the original but not subject to the restrictions on the original.

To some schools of though that means the sigils, glyphs, wards, etc become inverse and may actually then act in their contrary operation to bring forth the opposite.  So protection becomes its opposite, health becomes illness, positive becomes negative, etc.  Each facet taking on its inverse purpose or contrary purpose to what you desired.

why if I were going to place it on a rug i'd personally role the rug upon completion and not flip it over to create both the inverse portal and the shadow portal.  Figure in the old ceremonial / high magics practices anything that breaks the boundaries also removes any and all protections for the conditions and lines are broken.  Why they used to be drawn in chalk, wax and or other items all at once along with candles at the boundaries to use light boundaries as well.  Well that and the often assumed condition of having a second practitioner to watch and observe the one who is doing the workings should something go wrong and be present to step in.

#15 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

They didn't include banishing in the book? Always get rid of everything you call forth and invoke!

I think the author assumes the magician knows that, but, I think it should be included in a book labeled for beginners. I do banishings before & after any workings.

#16 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

If the circle is properly banished in closing the rite, the rug will just be a rug again, I never experienced any problems in using a rug that way. 

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#17 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

I agree, Izzie, an author should include proper closing and banishing in a beginners book.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#18 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

Different type of circle and usage than the typical Wiccan cast and release if it is following traditional ceremonial / high magics.

#19 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Monsno, I know, let's just say I used the rug in many different rites and types of workings over the years. That was in my former home, as I don't use it now and don't even own it anymore since moving here and my taste for ceremonial workings began to wane. I never took anything lightly, whatever it was I was trying out at the time, whether it was wicca, ceremonial magic or luciferian, chaos magic (I often made my own version or mix of rites I found in books) and I never had any problem with it being in the room flipped over to normal again. After any working or rite, the rug was just a rug to me.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#20 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:15 PM

Izzie - I think that should be included in a book for beginners, too.

Horne, if someone knows what they're doing then that's fine and there may never be a problem.  For someone that's never done anything like this before - there's a lot of room for error.  We all started somewhere and learned a lot of things the hard way.