• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else here uses tobacco to draw out the venom from bee and wasp stings or even spider bites?

We'll mix a little water with a small amount of tobacco apply it over the sting or bite then put a bandage over it.  

#2 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

Yes....except the way I was taught was to just break a cigarette in half, wet with spit, and apply.  LOL

Very folksy, this.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#3 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

I haven't used tobacco.  I use mud.  Have you guys tried that also and which do you think works better?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#4 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

I have always done that! My granny kept a bag of Bugler in the washroom just for this purpose :)

My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#5 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:39 PM

I still use tobacco and / or mud for bee stings and some bites.  Admit though I prefer actual tobacco leaves if I can get it to processed tobacco found in cigars, cigarettes or chewing tobacco.  The actual leaves have an oil that most often seems missing from the processed stuff.

Was never my forte but certain types of tree moss also works really well for it and helps keep the swelling down and infection out.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 11 November 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#6 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

Yes....except the way I was taught was to just break a cigarette in half, wet with spit, and apply.  LOL

Very folksy, this.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gave up the cigs awhile back, but will use my pipe tobacco. Yes,very folksy. 

#7 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:10 PM

I haven't used tobacco.  I use mud.  Have you guys tried that also and which do you think works better?

I've used wet yellow clay on poison ivy and chigger bites. It works pretty good.

#8 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:25 PM

Eucalyptus oil does it for me when it comes to bee stings, but I'll keep in mind using tobacco as an alternative from now on. 

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#9 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

I use Plantain if it's right nearby. If not, I still smoke (sigh) and breaking up a cig, chewing it a bit & applying it as a poultice works wonderfully. I can see where fresh tobacco leaves would be even better than the processed crap in cigs but I don't have any of those nearby so I make do. And it does.

Never tried mud but I can see where that would work, too. It would dry the skin which, in turn, would draw the venom to the surface. Somehow, though, the thought of putting this red clay crap that passes for dirt around here on a sting just doesn't appeal.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

Very folksy, this.

That is what I do! 

RSKHFMY

#11 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

I would use tobacco, however, I am a ravenous user of tobacco products and to me it would be a waste of a cigarette!  When I was a kid it was done because my dad was still a smoker back then and that was the "go to" item for bee stings.  Tea bags were also used, just regular plain old tea.  Supposedly that's another item that's used often for drawing out toxins and poisons, they have even made a product that you put your feet on that draws out toxins and they can test it.  I can't really comment on the poison ivy though as I've never had any kind of reaction to it, and neither has anyone else in my immediate family that I'm aware of

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#12 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

I use Plantain if it's right nearby. If not, I still smoke (sigh) and breaking up a cig, chewing it a bit & applying it as a poultice works wonderfully. I can see where fresh tobacco leaves would be even better than the processed crap in cigs but I don't have any of those nearby so I make do. And it does.

Never tried mud but I can see where that would work, too. It would dry the skin which, in turn, would draw the venom to the surface. Somehow, though, the thought of putting this red clay crap that passes for dirt around here on a sting just doesn't appeal.

Clay draws out oil and along with that comes poison ivy and the rash-like infections chigger bites cause. Sure it's messy but clay comes from the mother. Imagine bear grease mixed with soot or ocher or even vermilion to repel mosquitoes and other biting insects. 

When camping we often sprinkle tobacco into the fire as to create 'Grandfather Smoke' which can repel other 'things'.

#13 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:32 AM

Clay draws out oil and along with that comes poison ivy and the rash-like infections chigger bites cause. Sure it's messy but clay comes from the mother. Imagine bear grease mixed with soot or ocher or even vermilion to repel mosquitoes and other biting insects. 

Oh, I know. I'm just prissy that way. ;)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#14 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

I always just pulled out the stinger, and left it after that....  When I was little, my mother used baking soda and stings, but I'm too lazy, and the sting usually goes away after a little while.  Cool idea though - I often blow tobacco as a smudge, or for talking with the smoke, but I hadnt heard this idea before.  Thanks for sharing!

#15 ficklefae

ficklefae

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

I've never heard of this before but it's saved in the memory bank for when I need to use it. Thanks!

#16 fallenklown

fallenklown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:58 AM

Oh yes my mom would use tobacco for bee stings. Potato half over a spider bite works great also tape it on before bed and sleep on old sheets and wake up amazed

#17 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

This is slightly off topic, but it reminded me of a time when my little brother got stung by a bee. He looked majorly confused at first and didn't cry. Not even 5 min later he got stung again and then he came inside and went up to my mom crying and said "Mommy, fly hurrrt me". I think he was 3yrs old. He was confused bc he thought a fly had bit him and he didn't think flies could bite.

Of course my mother explained to him it was a bee and dealt w/the sting. I can't remember what we used bc my parents didn't smoke, but they did something to deal w/bee stings and/or removing venom.

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#18 snelson1199

snelson1199

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

I use the tobacco from the cig for the bee or wasp stings but I use a healing salve that I make for spider bites. I used the salve on my hard headed husband when a spider got him under his eye and ever since then this is what I use for spider bites.
Sandy

#19 FromHerWithLove

FromHerWithLove

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:49 PM

I know this is kinda an older topic, so sorry. But I personally don't use tobacco from most cigarettes because of additives and things. There are pure tobacco brands out there, though. And I kinda recommend that (or just buy pure tobacco leaves instead of cigarettes) instead of just any cigarette brand. But maybe that's just me.

"Hero's don't exist, and even if they did I wouldn't be one of them."