forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#22 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

Good for you and your bunch Atehequa ,  there is no redeeming quality in callous rude behavior no matter the race or " highness " self imposed .

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#23 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Bear seems a good name for your friend.

Ha! That old Heathen. He prefers to be called Wolfman these days. I remember back in 1983 at a Williamsburg bar called the Green Leafe Cafe how he snatched a William and Mary football player off the floor and hurled him across the barroom like a loaf of bread. He's got a Mi'kmaq wife, a few children and a couple of grandchildren that has settled him down a bit.

#24 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

I hate racism in any form! I live in Pennsylvania the northeastern part. We have alot of native american history here. The one tribe I was told about by a member of the tribe was called Tonawada tribe. The town where there settlement was is named after them. He told me that most of his tribe died bc of disease from the white man. I have the utmost respect for Native Americans. To me the U.S. is their country that white man viciously stole. Atehequa,you story is very enlightening. I genuinely say this from the heart I respect you and your strength!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Part of the Haudenosaunee Seneca people. Massawomeck as my wife's people knew them. They would come raiding down the Susquehanna River and Chesapeake Bay into Tsenacommacah. 

#25 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

Why? Some NDNs are great liars as well as thieves and gamblers. Ever heard how we use to get horses?

It's just very different from what I've come to expect from your posts over the years that I've seen you around on different forums. 

That whole situation would've pissed me off, too. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#26 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Sounds like some shitty people at that festival... Glad I wasn't there!

I would urge you though, not to judge others by the actions of people at that festival. Maybe you do not already, or maybe you do- I can't tell. I will say - I have met some horrible Christians and great Christians, as I have met horrible and great wiccans, and even horrible and great natives. I don't agree with all their beliefs, but I can't stand how much people hate entire groups just for being different... Even if you decided to hate others though, I would understand why - it's hard to rise above persecution, and is something I actually deal with often myself. (People often hate me for having Jewish blood even though I have never practiced, and I spend about 3 moths a year traveling in places where many locals might hate me for being white or for being American).

That festival sounds so horrible though - way different then what goes on near Seattle where I live... I'm lucky to know a lot of great open-minded and caring people, and your story reminds me how lucky I am sometimes.

#27 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

Attached File  nn193b.jpg   30.66KB   1 downloads

It's just very different from what I've come to expect from your posts over the years that I've seen you around on different forums. 

That whole situation would've pissed me off, too. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guess that should be taken as a complement, Rose. My posts over the years? Reckon I've stirred up a few  whirlwinds in my time, especially with the moon bugs, fluff bunnies, goose steppers, sidewinders, monotheistic zealots, partisan political barkers, pathetically obvious propagandists/shills, would be cult leaders and snake oil salesmen. Surely animosity still exists, like missed dust on a high shelf. The feather duster has been misplaced and the little stepladder is broken. Currently not visible, it still is dust upon a high shelf. 

This seems not to be those "different forums."

#28 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like some shitty people at that festival... Glad I wasn't there!

I would urge you though, not to judge others by the actions of people at that festival. Maybe you do not already, or maybe you do- I can't tell. I will say - I have met some horrible Christians and great Christians, as I have met horrible and great wiccans, and even horrible and great natives. I don't agree with all their beliefs, but I can't stand how much people hate entire groups just for being different... Even if you decided to hate others though, I would understand why - it's hard to rise above persecution, and is something I actually deal with often myself. (People often hate me for having Jewish blood even though I have never practiced, and I spend about 3 moths a year traveling in places where many locals might hate me for being white or for being American).

That festival sounds so horrible though - way different then what goes on near Seattle where I live... I'm lucky to know a lot of great open-minded and caring people, and your story reminds me how lucky I am sometimes.

I hate to use the word hate. An extremely strong word, which to me betokens feelings of intense pain. 

Wary? Indeed.

Defensive? If need be.

The somewhat civil, hospitable prose and exchange tinged with a sense of humor one would expect in the council lodge or around a good campfire? Absolutely.

A belief in magic,the spirit world and the supernatural? Always.

Moon bugs? They can be delightful and pleasant to the eyes, but sometimes can be like too many nocturnal insects fluttering around the camp lantern, especially those little ones that buzz around your ears, fly up your nose, or drown in your drink.

#29 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

attachicon.gifnn193b.jpg

Guess that should be taken as a complement, Rose. My posts over the years? Reckon I've stirred up a few  whirlwinds in my time, especially with the moon bugs, fluff bunnies, goose steppers, sidewinders, monotheistic zealots, partisan political barkers, pathetically obvious propagandists/shills, would be cult leaders and snake oil salesmen. Surely animosity still exists, like missed dust on a high shelf. The feather duster has been misplaced and the little stepladder is broken. Currently not visible, it still is dust upon a high shelf. 

I can't speak for rosered but to me what i've read of your stuff your words always have spoken of truth in them, depth to them and power behind them.  Not power in the sense of controlling or exploiting others but power in self and the depths of your beliefs and opinions.  May or may not have agreed with them but I've always felt they carried the truth and a certain clarity through them.  When I read the lie aspect it struck me more as a ethical rebuttal vice an intentional intent to deceive and misdirect.  Sort of the "Sure I got your back, just as soon as hell freezes over!"  though most people will only hear I got your back and ignore or totally omit the rest selectively.

Stirring the pot or kicking the rug to see what falls out makes sense to me.  But then I don't claim to be politically correct in my thinking or presentation of it.  Have to admit though I am now curious as to what a side winder is.  First though is the type of rattlesnake but have the feeling that would be a dis-service to the snake to assume that.

#30 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

I can't speak for rosered but to me what i've read of your stuff your words always have spoken of truth in them, depth to them and power behind them.  Not power in the sense of controlling or exploiting others but power in self and the depths of your beliefs and opinions.  May or may not have agreed with them but I've always felt they carried the truth and a certain clarity through them.  When I read the lie aspect it struck me more as a ethical rebuttal vice an intentional intent to deceive and misdirect.  Sort of the "Sure I got your back, just as soon as hell freezes over!"  though most people will only hear I got your back and ignore or totally omit the rest selectively.

Stirring the pot or kicking the rug to see what falls out makes sense to me.  But then I don't claim to be politically correct in my thinking or presentation of it.  Have to admit though I am now curious as to what a side winder is.  First though is the type of rattlesnake but have the feeling that would be a dis-service to the snake to assume that.

And I really dug a lot of your posts over at that other place. 

Sometimes in such glades it's like a red tail hawk who got up to early and a barred owl who has yet to call it a night, eye balling not only each other, but the little meadow vole who usually rises at dawn's first light as well. Something has to give.

Edited by Atehequa, 03 November 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#31 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

attachicon.gifnn193b.jpg

================

Heh, I thought your recent "Wind Waffle" post looked familiar.  I've never been a member of other sites but I skim them sometimes.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#32 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

I think I am starting to understand you better atehequa, and I like your style. I'm glad for this exchange, because I really misunderstood your first post. Thank you for sharing!

#33 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:14 PM

================

Heh, I thought your recent "Wind Waffle" post looked familiar.  I've never been a member of other sites but I skim them sometimes.

Oh I lovz me some Wind Waffle, with a scoop of butter and smothered in maple syrup.

But back to adversaries in regards to other occult practices. There use to be some practitioners in Williamsburg, they lived in a little house at wood's edge near the power lines. She was Nasemond and he was said to be of both Cheroenhaka-Saponi heritage. I don't know if they were traditional practitioners or something else. One thing I'm sure of, both were extortionists of sorts. They would 'put things' on other people and charge them to 'take things off'. It was said they were root workers. Neighbors to some of my friends, we got together with them one evening for a smoke and libations. What struck me as weird was her ability to get into my head. In my mid-twenties at the time, I was glancing at her from time to time. She was an extremely attractive woman in naught but a halter top and a pair of short-shorts. Kind of like a cross betwixt a young Cher and Hyapatia Lee. While glancing away it was like I heard in my mind - 'I don't mind you looking, but don't be all shifty eyed' Glancing at her I saw she was leering/smiling at me.  The weird thing? The voice in my head was her's. This was enough to convince me she had powers. Her boyfriend could pull off some amazing feats as well. I never went over there again, but did see her out in the woods collecting something. It was too far away and obscured by underbrush to see what. Needless to say I stood as still as a baby cottontail with a hawk overhead until she passed. That was over thirty years ago and I've heard they are no longer in that area.

#34 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

I think I am starting to understand you better atehequa, and I like your style. I'm glad for this exchange, because I really misunderstood your first post. Thank you for sharing!

Greetings and thanks. Sometimes it gets away from me.

#35 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yes, that was a compliment.  I do hope you take it as such.

Most of the posts I've seen of yours have been very information, educational and filled with forbearance.  It's nice to finally meet the person behind them. 

#36 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Yes, that was a compliment.  I do hope you take it as such.

Most of the posts I've seen of yours have been very information, educational and filled with forbearance.  It's nice to finally meet the person behind them. 

Well greetings to you, RoseRed. 

#37 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:33 PM

:)

#38 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

Where I'm employed there are a good number of New Agers and some Wiccans. One of them invited me to attend this three day festival called the Autumn Dance. Always up for new experiences, I not only accepted but brought along one of my Shawnee-Catawba cousins, a Lumbee, two  Qualla Cherokee and a rather huge friend of Germanic origins. My wife, more wiser than I on such matters refused to attend and warned me there could be problems.

From the very beginning it got weird as the Wiccan coven leaders presiding over this festival did not want us pitching our tents in the main encampment. We were directed to a bit of bluff-like high bank over looking the James River. Still somewhat of a drinker back then as were the rest of my party, we had a few stiff ones after setting up camp. We also passed the pipe then ambled down into the main encampment.  

This festival was also referred to as a 'gathering of tribes' however we did not feel welcome. For the most part we were snubbed by the majority of those people there. We listened to one Wiccan woman talking to people going on about evil men and their nocturnal emissions.

What really set me off was a fellow sitting upon a grassy rise with a group of listeners. Although this fellow was obviously white, he claimed to be a 'shaman' of my people(Shawnee). Knowing our spiritual leaders did not refer to themselves as shamans, plus this fellow did not even know the name of our creator spirit, nor he could not speak a single word of our language, I denounced him as a fraud which immediately made me a heavy to most of his admirers. This fellow who was going by the handle of 'White Wolf,' scurried over to a Wiccan priestess leader and said we were causing trouble. Approached by this fellow and a mean looking woman attired like Morticia Addams my companions and I were called negative trouble makers and would be asked to leave if we caused any more problems. Offering them a few choice words in our native languages, we laughed in their faces and made our way back to camp. This was the first time I met a white plastic medicine man claiming to be 'Native American'.

Once back we were happy to see others that the main encampment had deemed as undesirables. On that bluff we got our own groove underway, passing the pipe and beating on drums. One the Wiccans from work along with her husband came into our camp just to get juiced up on drink than told me - "Once we get back to work, I wasn't here with you guys, okay?"

'Oh great' I thought 'Come here to drink our booze, but she doesn't want anyone from work to know she was partying with us.'

The next morning when a large gathering of Christian RVers encamped on the other side of Jamestown Campground, an envoy of concerned Wiccans entered our camp requesting we be a buffer betwixt them and the new arrivals. Oh how they feigned friendship. Lying to them we agreed, but when the Christians began harassing these moon bugs, we of the bluff did nothing in the way of assisting them except hurling a few dirt clogs at some of them in a boat yelling at the moon bugs later that evening. We weren't good enough to camp with them, but they wanted us to fend off a horde of bible thumpers. 

Later we found out that the Christians came for no other reason than to protest this Wiccan -new age gathering. The owners of the campground were just happy the two gatherings had brought in so much business during the off season and did not interfere. The campground was getting ready to close down for good anyway.

____

Evil men with their nocturnal emissions - LOL. Nocturnal emission has not to do with evil, but with too much build up of semen, and unless it involves semen, women have them too - those evil women and their nocturnal emissions of vaginal fluid - LOL. Maybe she was jealous she doesn't get any of those emissions ;)

Looks like the group was disrespectful to you, your friends and culture, as well as at having at least one (probably more) man hater among the group.

I don't find adopting a culture or aspects of a culture disrespectful or Native inspired as RachelLizLear said, as long as they don't claim to be what they are not. 

Strong emotions can do at lot of harm to oneself, as well as others. Strong emotions do not power my craft - it is much too draining on me.

#39 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

____

Evil men with their nocturnal emissions - LOL. Nocturnal emission has not to do with evil, but with too much build up of semen, and unless it involves semen, women have them too - those evil women and their nocturnal emissions of vaginal fluid - LOL. Maybe she was jealous she doesn't get any of those emissions :wink:

Looks like the group was disrespectful to you, your friends and culture, as well as at having at least one (probably more) man hater among the group.

I don't find adopting a culture or aspects of a culture disrespectful or Native inspired as RachelLizLear said, as long as they don't claim to be what they are not. 

Strong emotions can do at lot of harm to oneself, as well as others. Strong emotions do not power my craft - it is much too draining on me.

As I recall there was a lot of drinking going on at that festival and alcohol will not only loosen tongues, but sometimes enhance some of the worse human qualities. Thank goodness we had the pipe to pass around which seemed to keep us in a somewhat jovial mood.  As mentioned earlier I think those people who organized that festival knew the Christians were coming and that probably made an already weird situation even weirder.