An assortment of my arts and crafts

ArcticWitch

I was going to say something about most good artists' work being more fully appreciated after they're dead but I'll just bite my tongue... :wink:

----

Oh believe me, I've wondered what I could produce if I really applied myself...and how much Mr. AW could sell it for after we fake my "demise", LOL! :P

• 2 weeks later...

During vacation last month, I did a fair amount of beachcombing. I ended up with abalone shards that my beachcombing partners were puzzled at me for snatching up, especially pieces like this that were partially missing that lustrous, iridescent sheen. Well, after a 2-minute sketch, I think 'Woman In Dress' is a good representation of why nothing I collect from the beach goes wasted:

IMG_20141220_185956_zps5eostwzi.jpg

It's certainly not destined for an art gallery, but I get just as much joy from making these little baubles as I do from making the high-ticket items.

• 1 year later...

Firstly, wow- lovely work.

Secondly, the fine detailed work- as in on the feather- may I ask what you use. I have a magnifying glass on a stand that helps with things with fine detail, but I have always struggled with the right tool to apply the paint in such detail. I usually switch between fine brushes and toothpick tips or kabob skewers (weird I'm sure). Any tips?

Edited due to unwanted autocorrect issue:)

Such beautiful work - thank you for sharing it with us!

When you paint on stones are you using acrylics?

[...]but I have always struggled with the right tool to apply the paint in such detail. I usually switch between fine brushes and toothpick tips or kabob skewers (weird I'm sure). Any tips?

---

I use the finest-tipped acrylic paintbrushes I can find.  Because the brushes are so delicate due to the lower number of individual bristles, they don't last for more than 2-3 feather paintings, so I typically get the cheapest ones I can find.  Here's a technique I developed to prime unconventional surfaces; perhaps it can help others with their projects:

feather-painting_zpseryjyh8l.png

When you paint on stones are you using acrylics?

---

I use craft-grade acrylics for the rocks (whereas I use artist-grade acrylics for the feathers), and then seal with a matte spray sealant.

Archived