• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

BWR, oh my goodness what a hilarious start to my day!  I'm trying not to wake my partner and managed to keep my giggling quiet while watching the 'Romy and Michele' clip, but the African Grey video pushed me over the edge and I cackled.  A lot.  Thank you!   :rofl:

#22 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

BWR, oh my goodness what a hilarious start to my day!  I'm trying not to wake my partner and managed to keep my giggling quiet while watching the 'Romy and Michele' clip, but the African Grey video pushed me over the edge and I cackled.  A lot.  Thank you!   :rofl:

:biggrin2:  I do what I can! I did really wanna make you laugh and I figured the African Grey would get you if the Romy and Michele clip didn't!  ;) 

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#23 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Arcticwitch, just replying to let you know that I was scrolling through, and when the polar bear came on screen, my son who is sitting next to me said "WWHHOOOA that polar bear is COOL!"

So there is that. and you know, good artists arent usually appriciated they way they ought to be. And while i've never even been to alaska, i knew enough about polar bears to get the joke, its too bad (and kind of hilarious) that the judges didnt

#24 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

And you know, good artists arent usually appriciated they way they ought to be.

I was going to say something about most good artists' work being more fully appreciated after they're dead but I'll just bite my tongue... :wink:

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#25 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:29 PM

hahaha! I was thinking just that but it seemed harsher than the sentiment of my message. AW is really talented, so its no surprise really

#26 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

I was going to say something about most good artists' work being more fully appreciated after they're dead but I'll just bite my tongue... :wink:

----
Oh believe me, I've wondered what I could produce if I really applied myself...and how much Mr. AW could sell it for after we fake my "demise", LOL! :P

#27 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:09 AM

During vacation last month, I did a fair amount of beachcombing. I ended up with abalone shards that my beachcombing partners were puzzled at me for snatching up, especially pieces like this that were partially missing that lustrous, iridescent sheen. Well, after a 2-minute sketch, I think 'Woman In Dress' is a good representation of why nothing I collect from the beach goes wasted:

IMG_20141220_185956_zps5eostwzi.jpg

It's certainly not destined for an art gallery, but I get just as much joy from making these little baubles as I do from making the high-ticket items.

Edited by ArcticWitch, 21 December 2014 - 04:10 AM.

#28 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

Very nice! :)

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#29 Lilitia

Lilitia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Quite lovely! Every time you update this thread, I find my day brightened a bit by your work.
My mama used to tell me 'bout these
Broke, poachin' ass bitches in these streets,
So many people wanna see me fall,
Invite me to the table but don't want me to eat at all.... ---- Z'Ro the Crooked

#30 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

Wow AW!, Those are all so great, you are so talented. My fav is 'we are all mad here' - I could hang that one by my front door, LOL!

#31 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Firstly, wow- lovely work.

Secondly, the fine detailed work- as in on the feather- may I ask what you use. I have a magnifying glass on a stand that helps with things with fine detail, but I have always struggled with the right tool to apply the paint in such detail. I usually switch between fine brushes and toothpick tips or kabob skewers (weird I'm sure). Any tips?

Edited due to unwanted autocorrect issue:)

Edited by Oroboros, 17 May 2016 - 08:49 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#32 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

Oh, and I think that is a damn respectable pheasant- sure doesn't look like a first time to me!

#33 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Wow! Such talent!

#34 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:21 PM

Such beautiful work - thank you for sharing it with us!

When you paint on stones are you using acrylics?

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#35 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:44 AM

[...]but I have always struggled with the right tool to apply the paint in such detail. I usually switch between fine brushes and toothpick tips or kabob skewers (weird I'm sure). Any tips?

---

I use the finest-tipped acrylic paintbrushes I can find.  Because the brushes are so delicate due to the lower number of individual bristles, they don't last for more than 2-3 feather paintings, so I typically get the cheapest ones I can find.  Here's a technique I developed to prime unconventional surfaces; perhaps it can help others with their projects:

feather-painting_zpseryjyh8l.png

When you paint on stones are you using acrylics?

---

I use craft-grade acrylics for the rocks (whereas I use artist-grade acrylics for the feathers), and then seal with a matte spray sealant.

#36 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

I'm inspired:)