• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

I have a studio, I make stuff to sell..and my creations are so all over the place in the context of materials, themes, and subjects, it's difficult for me to answer strangers when they ask "So, what kind of art do you do?"  My eyes glaze over and I try to describe it before finally giving up and whipping out my phone to show them photos.  

Rather than create individual threads to share old and new creations, I figured it'd be easier to have a single catch-all to update periodically.  I hope these attempts to bring beauty and whimsy into the world brings a bit of joy to viewers.

I did these magnets this week, undoubtedly influenced by today's holiday.  Wood, acrylic, and gel paint pen.

magnets_zpsbf68de1d.png

Mussel shells on driftwood.  The sea creatures were drawn free-hand with fine line art markers:

4956160c-5687-425f-8798-82b0908a8c63_zps

I really like the concept of this, not so much the execution (that's what I get for doodling without a plan); I intend to revisit the concept at a later date.  'Alice in Wonderland' themed illustration on a ceramic plate.

2014-10-13%2012.16.34_zpsr5n4cezl.png

Ring-necked pheasant micro-painting on a real pheasant feather.  Painting is acrylic.

d4240e_f4e7dac313ac4f1187d99c9edd554ec2_

While we're on the subject of pheasants, here's the first "real" painting I ever did.  I was 16 and hadn't painted with acrylics before.  Whenever I start to doubt my artistic abilities, I dig this out and remind myself how far I've come on life and as a person, and the potential I have as an artist. :smile:

pheasant_zpsf55c03e8.png

I dabble in jewelry-making, incorporating porcupine quills I've harvested with store-bought items:

jewelry_zps8ff6bea0.png

And then there's my compulsion to paint on small stones I find on the beach:

rocks_zps7c4f0ff3.png

My intention is to paint all of my herb storage jars, but for now, the only one I've "labelled" via an illustration of the mature plant is my wormwood.  Acrylic on glass.

wormwood-jar_zps9fb9c21d.png

Well, that's it for now!  I'm sure I'll update this thread in the near future as I think of other things to share.  :P

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:07 PM

Color me seriously impressed, girl!  Wow!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

AW, you have a gift, I'm seriously enjoying this outlook on your artistic expressions! I love the Cheshire Cat one, seems we both like the "we're all mad here" quote, but they're all fantastic.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#4 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

Very talented!

M

#5 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

I love the feather!

#6 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

I really like the feather, stone, and shells. Really creative, AW!

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#7 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:55 AM

These are all really cool! I paint on rocks and wood but have not been so creative to think of shells or feathers. I also really like the porcupine necklace on the left :)

#8 Atehequa

Atehequa

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:30 AM

I especially like the mussel shell art. You are extremely talented, keep up the good work.

#9 daze113

daze113

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

Lovely,the pebbles are fantastic.

#10 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

Yeah the stones are great! Have you ever thought of putting different symbols on them to use in spellwork? :thinking:

#11 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:27 PM

Thank you so much for the compliments, everyone!

Yeah the stones are great! Have you ever thought of putting different symbols on them to use in spellwork? :thinking:

---

I do have some special stones set aside that I will make into runes once I acquire a full set.  For spellwork using stones, I typically meditate to identify each stone's qualities (I prefer/trust my intuitive impressions over correspondence lists), and subsequently mentally assign/"tag" its purpose in the spell rather than physically labeling them with a symbol.  However, as my collection grows, I can certainly see the value of drawing or painting symbols on them so as to consistently identify and use them!  Thanks for the suggestion, hawkwind. :)

#12 Anth77

Anth77

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:51 AM

You got skill. I like the owl.

#13 Nabu

Nabu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

Excellent work here , and in the past . Keep your wings in the air , taking you to newer heights and places. I really do admire the creationism of your items , taking from nature and using it to create beautiful adornments. Please post more , I never tire at looking at the beauty of the eye of the artist such as you have shared and shown.

Nabu

Strong of Heart wins the Day , let not yourself be dismayed !

#14 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

I'm really ticked off this morning.  Forgive the rant.  I'm afraid this thread is turning more into an art blog for me rather than a legitimate witchcraft-themed contribution to the forum. Anyways, it isn't the fact that I lost an art contest (didn't even get an honorable mention), but WHY I lost...

A few months ago, a local newspaper hosted a Post-It note art contest.  For those of you unfamiliar with Post-It notes, they're 3-inch by 3-inch (7.5x7.5 centimeter) pieces of paper that come on a pad, with an adhesive strip on the back; they're ubiquitous in offices and homes here in North America.  The contest was to create a unique piece of art on a Post-It, preferably adhering to one of the available themes selected by the publication.  I chose the theme 'A polar bear doing something unnatural'.  Although I've noticed a major shift in the newspaper's quality of content, editing/production, etc. over the last two years, I hoped they were still 'Alaskan' enough to get some subtle local humor.  

So I drew a polar bear standing in a river, fishing for salmon.  I wouldn't expect non-residents to "get" the humor, so allow me to explain.  Polar bears live exclusively on the ice sheets and tundra of the Arctic's coast.  Their food source is seals.  Their is no documentation of a polar bear ever having ventured far enough inland to 1) be seen in a salmon river, nor 2) fish for and eat salmon.  It's the equivalent of a drawing depicting an American alligator perched on a mountain cliff.  Or a whale eating a great white shark.  Or a tropical parrot perched in a snow-laden spruce tree.

My submission was rejected and called out for not adhering to the theme.  I've gotten much better at losing competitive activities as I've grown older, but when I lose because the judges are such ignorant pinheads that they lack the critical thinking skills and education to recognize subtle humor that they would have detected immediately if they were what they advertise themselves to be (in this case, being 'Alaskan')...well, it makes me grumpy.

10415619_10204412541858799_8967959678587

#15 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

You may have been rejected, but to me that post-it note is a winner! It's not only beautiful but also stays true to the theme you chose. Screw the newspaper people! :)

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#16 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

You're adorable when your grumpy.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#17 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:26 AM

I see you're getting your degree in art of the obvious~myself
Without music life would be a mistake~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time~ H.L. Mencken
When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#18 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:30 AM

Seriously though- what were they looking for....beastiality, a polar bear snorting coke, dressing like a tranny? I mean the whole polar bear in shades with coke-cola has already been done. 

When nature has work to be done, she creates a genius to do it~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves~ Galileo

#19 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

#20 bewitchingredhead

bewitchingredhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 03:42 AM

Ok so if the Romy and Michele's High School Reunion one didn't make you laugh- the African Grey one should!!