• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

Let's have some light fun!  Which celebrities- actors and actresses, musicians and singers, political leaders and celebrated notables- have pinged your 'Witchdar'?

The first film I ever saw Anjelica Huston in was "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou"- probably her most non-witchy role ever, but she still put off really strong vibes that made me go "Wow, she certainly is witchy!".  I just watched the "Addams Family" for the first time a few weeks ago, and saw "The Witches" earlier this year: I laughed and rolled my eyes at how perfectly she fit those roles.  Wonder if she portrays those characters so flawlessly because, perhaps, she's a witch?  Hmmm.

I've always gotten the same vibes from Virginia Madsen, years before she appeared in "The Last Keepers" and "Witches of East End"- so much so that I remarked to my partner a couple of years ago that she struck me as being "very witchy".

As far as musical performers, Stevie Nicks is an obvious choice.  For the men, I'd have to say that Robert Plant (heck, every member of Led Zeppelin) and Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle) make my Witchdar go crazy.  

Within the realm of literature, Mark Twain struck me as being too cunning- both in his writings as well as his personal life- to have been "just" a mundane gentleman.  The same could be said for Truman Capote.

I also sometimes get impressions that some contemporary celebrities have dabbled in witchcraft to see if it would assist them in personal gains, but not fully embraced it (mostly pop music performers: Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake).

How about you?  Any celebrities that you suspect is an actively-practicing witch?

[Edited for grammar]

Edited by ArcticWitch, 30 October 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#2 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I don't know why, and of course it is utterly unprovable, but Jack White is definitely on my "witchdar".  Most people om my "w-dar" are regular unknown people though.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#3 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

I don't know why, and of course it is utterly unprovable, but Jack White is definitely on my "witchdar".  Most people om my "w-dar" are regular unknown people though.

---

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I forgot to include him in my own list!  Yes, he very much has that witchy vibe to me too, although I didn't start noticing it until The White Stripes' 'Icky Thump' was released.

#4 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

He definitely does "something" whether he calls it witchcraft or not, he's got "the vibe". Tori Amos comes to mind too.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#5 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

Jethro Tull?

M

#6 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:53 PM

Horne, I've often wondered about Tori Amos.  Every aspect of her always seems to exist and operate in a different realm, that's for sure!

Jethro Tull, nice suggestion Michelle!

Three people that I feel have/had a wee bit of somethin' going on, but can't quite sense if it's witchiness or just exceptional talent: Jimi Hendrix, Billy Connolly, Clint Eastwood.

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

Angelina Jolie

RSKHFMY

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:51 PM

Otep Shamaya, Helena Bonham Carter, Alice Hoffman

Edited by Ravenshaw, 30 October 2014 - 11:58 PM.

RSKHFMY

#9 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Helena Bonham Carter: oh yeah, BIG time "witchdar" with her (even Mr. AW has felt that 'ping', lol), picked upon that before she hooked up with Tim Burton and started doing a lot of fantasy-themed roles. :P 

Here's another one I'm conflicted about: Johnny Depp.  I can't tell if he's witchy, or just has that enlightened vibe that stems from using certain ethnobotanicals.

#10 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:31 AM

What about Bowie?

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#11 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:32 AM

Here's another one I'm conflicted about: Johnny Depp.  I can't tell if he's witchy, or just has that enlightened vibe that stems from using certain ethnobotanicals.

I think it's the latter lol

RSKHFMY

#12 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:21 AM

aside from the hordes of musicians I could point out

Anne Rice because of her knowledge of certain things pertaining to spirits.

Jim Carrey because when you watch one of his serious roles you'll understand

Sir Christopher Lee...seriously. 

Kathy Bates because you can see it in her eyes.  She has travelled.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#13 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:37 AM

Oh I just love Kathy Bates... have to.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#14 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

Plus, adding a musician: Ronnie James Dio.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#15 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:57 AM

aside from the hordes of musicians I could point out

Anne Rice because of her knowledge of certain things pertaining to spirits.

Jim Carrey because when you watch one of his serious roles you'll understand

Sir Christopher Lee...seriously. 

Kathy Bates because you can see it in her eyes.  She has travelled.

Speaking of Jim Carrey, I think he has seen the spirit of someone leave them. Not just someone dying, but he strikes me as someone with an intense connection to a person through their death.

RSKHFMY

#16 Celcat

Celcat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:15 AM

Marcia Cross has always struck me that way. 

#17 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:16 AM

For me truthfully none of them.  I see that more as an anima / animus thing where I project the assumption of a trait upon them as a reflection of myself.  I either have it or believe I have it then look for the reflection of it as sort of a justification of its existence.  I can see it in them so it justifies it in me, yet forget it's the person looking in the mirror so I am seeing my own reflection in how I view them.

Thus I am a shamanic practitioner so I see that, I am a hedge / green witch so I see that as well, a pot head would see that aspect, a nymphomaniac would see that in their actions, etc.  Then factor in any additional info I may have heard, read or assumed about them to complete the picture.  Thus the girl from The Craft becomes a Wiccan because I know in real life she is.

#18 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:42 AM

I recall that Lykke Li admitted to practicing Vodou, after being questioned about a very occult-themed video she released  :vhappywitch: 

Love that artist!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#19 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:54 AM

Me likes Lykke.

Florence Welch of Florence + The Machine is another likely candidate.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#20 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

If I were feeling a bit bitchy I'd be tempted to start a complimentary sister thread for this with all the "celebrity" witches who probably aren't. 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.