In the dollar store

Atehequa

Yesterday afternoon I was in the dollar store picking up paper towels and ibuprofen. Ahead of me in line was a lady with about 50 dollars of various bags of candies. 

Turning around and looking at me, she suggested - "You only have two items, want to go ahead of me?"

Taking her up on that kind offer, I said - "Why thank you." then attempting to make small talk, I inquired -

"Ahhhh, I see you're getting ready for Halloween."

Right then she grimaced and replied - "Oh no, this is for the church next Friday night. We're having a costume service for the children where they can play games and receive candy."

Since she was kind enough to let me go ahead with my two items, I held my tongue, but really wanted to say - 'Oh I see, Halloween with Jesus'

Sure enough while driving past the big Baptist church, I saw a sign advertising for this event.

I have to wonder are the Protestant Christians attempting to Christianize Halloween? 

Seems to me that church is offering an alternative to prevent kids from going regular trick-or-treating and to keep them confined to a controlled area.

Guest monsnoleedra

Lots of civic groups, schools and church's have alternative Halloween parties, graduation parties, Christmas parties, etc.  Some do to trying to take "Satan" out of the holiday, others because of all the urban legends and folk lore about razor blades in apples, needles in apples, ex-lax for candy, etc.  Still other's because the community is so spread out that community events are planned vice having lots of children walking great distances to trick or treat.

Lots of civic groups, schools and church's have alternative Halloween parties, graduation parties, Christmas parties, etc.  Some do to trying to take "Satan" out of the holiday, others because of all the urban legends and folk lore about razor blades in apples, needles in apples, ex-lax for candy, etc.  Still other's because the community is so spread out that community events are planned vice having lots of children walking great distances to trick or treat.

#######################################################################################################

Greetings again, monsnoleedra. Long time no see.

Oddly enough throughout my childhood and that of my children, I've never made a connection betwixt the Abrahamic supreme deity's evil adversary and this harmless seasonal event. To me it was all about both kids and adults donning costumes, gathering candy, or reveling without any hint of god, his boy Jesus or the devil. I do understand Halloween has Pagan origins, but then again so does most everything else.

Never had problems with razor blades or poison in treats, either.

Children dressing up and gathering candy is just an innocent way to have fun and have a good time. It's the christians at war with anything even hinting at paganism that label it evil. They're right about the pagan roots of Halloween of course, but their classification of it as satanic worship is totally subjective and based upon the prejudice anything non-christian must be evil.

Children dressing up and gathering candy is just an innocent way to have fun and have a good time. It's the christians at war with anything even hinting at paganism that label it evil. They're right about the pagan roots of Halloween of course, but their classification of it as satanic worship is totally subjective and based upon the prejudice anything non-christian must be evil.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Wonder why they can have their 'costume service' on say September 31st or November 3rd rather than October 31st?

But all the same my family and I are not practicing European Pagan traditions, but have embraced Halloween as a night of fun.

Guest monsnoleedra

I think part of it is that Halloween has changed so much.  My Mom used to tell us how Halloween actually lasted for like 3 or 4 days.  One of those days being penny day where you went around and got pennies from each house, then another you got candy and the other you got something else.  Yet you dressed up for all three or four days.  Then you had children's parties and adult parties as well as the actual going door to door events.

Never saw the razor blades stuff but there was always the heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend type things.  Of course I also recall the Bunnyman tales that went around Halloween when I lived in Maryland in the late 60's.  Did see the needles pushed into fruit, ex-lax used for candy and other drugs used as lacing on various things.  Remember my Mother going through all of our candy and stuff just as we did for our children and still do for our grandchildren.

A lot of places started doing the closed stuff as a means of protecting children so they could dress up and have innocent fun and a good time.  Where I live there have been a number of times where people gather in a spooky parking lot and have a tail gate trick or treat or the local businesses do a main street type trick or treat where the children go from store to store.  Sometimes the schools have been used for public Halloween events and typical parties.

As far as Satanic a lot of that goes back to the Satanism fears of the 80's and early 90's.  Granted in some extreme churches its all seen as being symbolic of the devil or death cultus stuff and is to be avoided.  Some take it to the extreme of outlawing it all together while some try to keep it semi sanitized and do the dress up and such but remove the Celtic fire aspect of it.

Oh, they even change the date? They must be really paranoid about it, hahaha!

Halloween is fun, I agree. I don't celebrate it myself as Germanic midwinter traditions incorporate much of the same regarding ancestor worhip and the return of the dead, and Halloween celebrations are relatively new here. Halloween as it is celebrated today in popular culture came to the Netherlands from the US, before that it never was a part of our culture. Our winter festivities focus more on Saint Nicholas, Saint Martin and Midwinter.

Guest monsnoleedra

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Wonder why they can have their 'costume service' on say September 31st or November 3rd rather than October 31st?

But all the same my family and I are not practicing European Pagan traditions, but have embraced Halloween as a night of fun.

I think part of the issue there is that Halloween is often held within a couple day window for many areas.  I know for us it may fall anywhere between the 25 to abt the 3rd of November depending upon weather, day of the week and other such influences.  Most often try to keep it as close to the 31st as possible but many times it won't actually be on the 31st.  It's like this year the 31st is actually a Friday so Halloween will be on the 31st.  Up here in WV its calling for rain and storms so maybe postponed yet down at my nieces it's just supposed to be overcast so expect it to be held as planned.  Last year it was held later as we had an unusually cold and snowy Oct 31 and the weather only allowed for those events that were held in schools, churches or other civic places inside from the cold.

Yet I also know practicing Heathen's who hold their events on the 1st through 3rd of November vice the 31st.  Other's follow the Day of the Dead practices from Mexico and South / Central America and run anywhere from the 25th of October to 3rd or 4th of November.  Yet those tend not to be equated with the Satanic influences that Halloween gets. 

Guest monsnoleedra

Oh, they even change the date? They must be really paranoid about it, hahaha!

Halloween is fun, I agree. I don't celebrate it myself as Germanic midwinter traditions incorporate much of the same regarding ancestor worhip and the return of the dead, and Halloween celebrations are relatively new here. Halloween as it is celebrated today in popular culture came to the Netherlands from the US, before that it never was a part of our culture. Our winter festivities focus more on Saint Nicholas, Saint Martin and Midwinter.

Nah more often worried about kids freezing to death than anything where I live.  Many times though changed not because of the holiday's purpose but changed because of day of the week it falls on.  Sort of like sports are most often on Fridays as they tend to run late into the evening and doesn't impact upon the next academic day.

Guest monsnoleedra

Ah so it's more of a practical thing than based on fear. Makes sense!

Yeah while we have some extremist Churches they are not that big of an influence in my area.  Unlike a couple in parts of neighboring Virginia where they've gone crazy about tarot readers and think Halloween is all about Satan. 

The worse thing that happen to me on Halloween was in 1965 when my older brother and I applied green food coloring on our faces, upper arms and hands. We wanted to appear as green Martians. Of course my mother and father had no knowledge of this until sometime after the fact.

Needless to say that green food coloring did not come off in the shower, or later with our parents attempting to scrub it off in the tub. At best it faded a bit into more of a olive green. In time our green hue wore off, but out in public or in school during that time,,,

Guest monsnoleedra

The worse thing that happen to me on Halloween was in 1965 when my older brother and I applied green food coloring on our faces, upper arms and hands. We wanted to appear as green Martians. Of course my mother and father had no knowledge of this until sometime after the fact.

Needless to say that green food coloring did not come off in the shower, or later with our parents attempting to scrub it off in the tub. At best it faded a bit into more of a olive green. In time our green hue wore off, but out in public or in school during that time,,,

For some reason I had a flash of the Flintstones episode about the Way Outs and how you needed to keep a watch out as they were coming. he he he  Done the food coloring thing though never to that extent, mostly fingers or lips.

I love Halloween most important holiday in my family tradition. To me the church is trying to control everything in my area by misinformation and out right lies to make everyone paranoid. Our society has become so afraid that they might offend people that everything is being altered and changed because OH NO,someone might be offended. To me if i offend someone by being myself I don;y really care they can get over it or die unhappy.

===========

:rofl:

Basically my mom, as ridiculously Protestant as she is, has always fully embraced Halloween for whatever reason.  She used to help me and the neighborhood kids set up the front stoop to scare kids every year and she would have some elaborate scary costume for answering the door...most of the time I didn't even go trick or treating!  I would spend all evening scaring kids in the yard with a fog machine and even a chainsaw with the chain removed when I became a teenager, I'd spend the whole month of October making "props" and other devices for making ours the "scariest house on the block."

That being said, we still attended the "fall harvest festivals" at church, where we would wear costumes but it was mostly more like an "early Thanksgiving." type thing.  Normally the churches when I was a kid wouldn't hold harvest festivals on Halloween night.  There might have been only a handful of kids in the neighborhood who didn't participate--usually their parents were of some fundamentalism faith, not just Christian but Islam and Hindu.

What I dislike now about Halloween over the last 10 years or so is how corporatized it's become, all about making a quick buck selling people crappy costumes that rip after wearing them one night (I always made my own or at least spent decent allowance money on them)....and coming out with the newest fanciest candy they can come up with.  For me it was never about candy, it was about making the neighborhood spooky, and the mystical celebration of the night.  I would get off of school (if it didn't fall on a weekend) and wouldn't stop for anything until it was almost midnight...at that point most parents would usher in their kids because the real "prowlers" would be out then.  I never did figure out if this was literal or figurative.

I also have to mention that as a teenager I was often found celebrating "devil's night" as well---Oct 30th....basically a night for real mischief like egging houses, cherry bombing mailboxes and smashing pumpkins.  Not very nice, I know, but is also part of the Halloween tradition of my youth *shrug*

Also, in the video, LOL@ "Satan is very pleased that so many are honoring him by taking part in these rituals and traditions that God hates"

Hail! :rofl:

In the suburb where I grew up Halloween was a big deal, so much so that it was almost a civic holiday, and still is hugely celebrated.  The main city of Texarkana has embraced the mystery of the Phantom Killer, and at the park where the infamous murders took place in the 1940s, horror films are projected for free and all of the local fire houses set up mock murder scenes and horror houses for both kids and adults alike.  Bouncy houses, an orgy of sweets, the whole nine is supported by the cities of Texarkana TX and AR and the surrounding 'burbs.  Needless, to say, in the Bible belt, there are quite a few naysayers in the Evangelical Christian community that organize "Fall Festivals" and some horse shit they call "Trunk or Treat" to inject a little Jesus into the fun and take a dump on the parade.  There is always a big hullabaloo between the civic authority and the church leaders about the Halloween festivities and a local endorsement of Satan himself, which I love to watch on the news and read about in the local papers because it's funny (and kinda sad, let's face it).  This year, one preacher took out ads on TV, with this being an election year and several city council seats being up for grabs.  It's ridiculous.

They go that trunk or treat in my town the church says it's to keep the kids from getting hit by car. BS it is so they can hand out their pamphlets that try to "demonize" halloween. They will never succeed parents take their kid there get candy and throw the pamphlet on the ground in front of them and then go trick or teating.

Guest monsnoleedra

For us its never done by the church but by a number of local parents who get together.  May be as few as a dozen or so or upwards of 20 - 30 parents at a time.  Usually after cancelled due to weather or used in conjunction with other events such as store front trick or treat.

Archived