8 replies to this topic

#1 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:20 AM

For those (like me) with an interest in Scandinavian folk magic, this seems to be a website of interest:

http://trolldomhoodoo.blogspot.nl/

I for one am also looking forward to reading Johannes Gardback's book on Trolldom.

Edited by Horne, 21 October 2014 - 12:20 AM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#2 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Ahhh...Johannes!  Trolldom has nothing to do with hoodoo, though.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#3 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

That's exactly what puzzled me in that blog title. I found his book for sale at Lucky Mojo (and I want it) but it's just a pre-publication order. At least this already gives a glimpse of the book's contents: http://www.luckymojo.com/trolldom.html

Edited by Horne, 21 October 2014 - 04:09 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#4 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

He also has a facebook group called simply "Trolldom."  He is a touchy person if you question him but he is also extremely knowledgable.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#5 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for mentioning, but I'm not active on facebook (too time-consuming) at the moment, but I might give it a look later. I think I'll pre-order the book though.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

His book looks amazing.  Also, pick up this one, it looks fab :D

http://www.galdrasyn...emid=19&lang=en

#7 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Me wants! LOL 

Just got my hands on The Black Books of Elverum by Mary S. Rustad and it seems exciting, did you read it?

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

#8 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

No I haven't.  Is it good?

#9 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

Let's say it's nice for the collection, there were two black books with incantations found in Norway, and there's little pagan about them except for that their oldest origins are probably from pre-christian times, but the incantations are interesting enough to read. They are mostly a mixture of home remedies and folk beliefs, and heavily influenced by christianity, invoking in the name of Jesus etc. but there is some invocation of the Devil and demons too.

Edited by Horne, 23 October 2014 - 09:07 AM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,