Witchy Spice Cakes
- 1 cup of butter
- ¾ cups of brown sugar
- 1 cup of honey
- ½ cup of anise and licorice tea (instructions below)
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons cloves
- ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs, beaten
The herbs in this recipe include anise (for clairvoyance), licorice root (for expelling negative energy), cloves (for psychic protection), and cinnamon (for psychic development).
This recipe makes about 12 cupcake-sized cakes. I like to carry these as a snack --- the herbal scent reminds me of kitchen witchery and can bring a little magick into my mundane life. I hope you enjoy them!
1. Boil ½ cup of water. Add three anise stars and 2 tablespoons of licorice root. Make a tea and then strain out the licorice and anise.
2. Preheat oven to 360 F and grease the muffin tins with butter. Place the rest of the butter, along with the sugar, honey, anise/licorice tea, hazelnut extract, and vanilla extract, into a saucepan. Heat gently (not allowing it to boil), stirring only once, until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved. Let it cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, cloves, and cinnamon together.
4. When the honey mixture is cool, stir in the beaten eggs. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is smooth.
5. Fill a muffin tin with all of the batter. Each cup should be 2/3 full. Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.