• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

I got it from nowhere reputable, apparently (haha). http://www.condoblue...ential-oil.html

That is one of the oddest recipes I've ever seen. I'm honestly not certain what the results would be called! It's not "essential oil" nor is it an "extract". It wouldn't even really be an "essential oil extract". I'm guessing s/he used vodka to have some liquid-ish result.

BTW, the book you just picked up is excellent.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#42 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

I read the link just now, and the writer pretty clearly got precipitate gunking up their "oil" without realizing what happened. Your experiment worked perfectly and yielded the same result as the original writer's but it doesn't do what they think it does. It happens. I dunno what else to say

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#43 Faolana

Faolana

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

That is one of the oddest recipes I've ever seen. I'm honestly not certain what the results would be called! It's not "essential oil" nor is it an "extract". It wouldn't even really be an "essential oil extract". I'm guessing s/he used vodka to have some liquid-ish result.

BTW, the book you just picked up is excellent.

Yeah I think it's literally just the resin from the flowers themselves. I'm actually excited to see what happens with the bain marie.
I read through the thread before I posted and someone mentioned that book so I had it on the way already! It's amazing.

I read the link just now, and the writer pretty clearly got precipitate gunking up their "oil" without realizing what happened. Your experiment worked perfectly and yielded the same result as the original writer's but it doesn't do what they think it does. It happens. I dunno what else to say

Yeah I'm just a newb. At least I know I can follow directions correctly, even if they're the wrong ones! Thank you for your help.

#44 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

Christine, thank you for passing your method of reconstitution a long. I may have to experiment around with that when I get the lab back in working order in the new house. It sound like it should have some interesting possibilities down the road.

Mountain Witch, I had the same question “Where did the recipe come from?”. When I first came across the idea, it was a hypothetical conversation with brewers and moonshiners on lessening ABV in vanilla bean extract. Then a few mentions in some alchemical processes. Its basically still tar. These seemed unlikely hot topics so I googled “how to make essential oil”. This recipe was the first two links then at least five not far after that. Seems to me like a bad aromatherapy article has got folks hopes up.

Anyway, I'm glad you all worked it out.

I do still have one question. My candles are candle flavored, and that's not like to change. But, outside of essential oils is an alcohol carrier best for candles and soap? I would think you would want something fat based. I'm just in the dark on the subject and wondered if anyone had an opinion.

#45 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Some great tips on here, thank you all for sharing.