• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

Thank you, RG. Your response is precisely what i needed. I am learning about TWC, by reading and trial-&-error., and this forum helps a lot. In books everybody has bones, but they do not explain what they get out of it, what the benefit is to their magic., and why the practice is preferred to some other means of spirit work. Whenever I connect with a bone, I seem only to link to it's former occupant, or it's group consciousness. Am I supposed to ask that presence to carry out a task? And what do I owe it for the favor? I suppose it will tell me and I like to know these things up front.

My problem, I think, is that I'm a medium. When I offered my spirit guide a stone fetish house, he got mildly miffed and asked what he was supposed to do with it. Ok, wrong spirit...a land spirit might have been interested.

It seems to me that bone-work comes naturally within Shamanic cultures, but I live in a basic electric, motorized and fossil-fuel culture, with piped-in water. I don't have to fetch it. The closest I get to a cook fire is a BBQ grill and more often than not I burn myself. I have not trained myself to think shamanicly.

Edited by Zombee, 03 September 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#42 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

For myself, it is precisely *because* I live in a sterile modern culture where I don't kill my own meat or bury my own dead family members, or even have to really deal with my own waste that I need to work with bones (and its even better when I can collect them myself). As convenient and hygienic as it may seem, there's something unnatural to me about how we never tangibly experience death except in a removed and distant sort of way. Working with bones and blood and dirt establishes a connection for me that helps me reach the state I need to be in to perceive beyond the mundane.

If that connection comes naturally for you without the use of these things, than that's awesome. My own psychic skills are not that developed yet. I still have to use some of the tried and true methods to create a place/state to meet with spirits and entities most of the time. Of course, sometimes they interupt life to intervene or send a clear message with no candles or skulls or trance inducing herbs/rituals necessary, but that is a rare and beautiful thing.

It's becoming less rare though...

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 04 September 2016 - 05:14 AM.

#43 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:03 PM

Oh gee, this is finally making sense to me. Three cheers! I've been knocking my head on my favorite wall again. (Ive retired after 21 years working at a cemetery...haha.) Bones are a door way between worlds, a trail to the Other Side, metaphorically, because that which has died has forged the trail. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The use is for crossing-over. It's like thumping the Staff on the ground to stir and awaken the living link between ourselves and Earth.

Thank you for sharing your understanding.

Edited by Zombee, 06 September 2016 - 01:01 AM.

#44 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

While I would think it'd be very interesting to work with animal skulls or bones, I could never pick up a road kill or get the bones of any other animal myself. Maybe a tiny bird or mouse who died naturally, in winter. I grew up on a farm where we slaughtered our animals, and I went vegetarian at the age of 12, vegan at the age of 28. Whenever I pass by a roadkill I get sick to my stomach and feel incredible sadness within me. So, working with animal parts other than feathers that I find in the woods or on the street is not possible for me. 

But I would believe that when you find a roadkill that seems to have great fear attached such as the porcupine mentioned in this thread, it would be best to bury it and be of service to the animal instead of the other way around. To use the witchy power to help it transcend into a peaceful realm. I think it's always a give and take, and sometimes it's our job to help a plant, a tree, a river, an animal out of service to nature, from which we take so much for our craft. 

I also think it's good to invoke the entire essence of the animal's life, not only the one of their death. 

#45 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

I have never worked with road kill but I have worked with the bones/feet/feathers of animals I raised and butchered or hunted. I have a deer skull on my ancestor altar I hold when meditating or using my mirror that is very willing to work with me even though my husband shot it. I have most of the skeleton of it and want to make a rune set of the bones but cutting them is difficult without them splitting. I have turkey feet over each door and sell the chicken feet from the animals we raised. I do make offerings to the animals we kill though. Not sure if that makes the difference. Personally, I think if an animal is willing to work with you it will, if not it will not. I have had feathers and bones I gave away or sold because I had not feeling from them at all and assumed they were not mine. I want to put a road kill kit in the car but never have. My husband doesn't like the idea of it. 

#46 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:51 PM

I'm glad there are others out there who do "collect" various animal parts and utilize them spiritually/magically.  I spent most of my adult life working as a zookeeper and so I wasn't totally alone with the collecting.  However most of my bosses and coworkers harvested animal parts for strictly educational purposes.  I've only known 2 others in the field that primarily collected items because it held personal meaning for them (ie it came from animals they worked closely with so it held sentimental value).  Most people think it's weird and creepy lol.    Depending on what I have (feather/fur vs bone vs skin etc) and what I feel the parts want to be used for will determine its usage for me.  For the most part they've been made into something I consider sacred: spirit housing, ritual tools, some items to be used as magical ingredients etc.  Items I take as ingredients usually seem empty and can be then programmed for specific purposes much like dried herbs/flowers in a spell.  As far as curses associated with roadkill parts, I think if you ignore or go against its spirits' wishes then things have potential to get ugly.  Whether you take it home when it wanted to be buried, or just ignored it when it was asking for your help to move on, its not going to be a happy spirit.  Depending on circumstances you may not experience any negative outcome or you may experience an angry spirit.  All my opinion of course!

I have very animistic leanings and with that I subscribe to the idea that everything (including mountains, rocks, rivers, water, trees etc) have spirits/souls.  Some have more "parts" to it than others I think though I obviously could be wrong about that too.  I believe that there are many times when bones, herbs, whatever is dead/empty and up to the discretion of the collector whether or not to use said item.  So the idea of using roadkill (any manner of death really) or not extends to things outside of the animal kingdom for me personally.  I have and will harvest parts from dead animals but generally I hesitate and mull it over more first if my discovery of the carcass was completely accidental.  What I mean by that is there have been times when I was passing through an area and suddenly felt like something was hidden and watching me.  I could almost pinpoint where the animal (or its remains) were, at least general direction (to my left on the ground, or up in the trees and to my right, etc).  If I took the time to investigate I'd find either a living animal or its bones.  There were a few occasions that pretty much convinced me that it wasn't just wishful thinking or my imagination.  It felt like they were practically flagging me down! The other times it's happened to me I couldn't rule out that it wasn't a case of my peripheral vision working overtime or just pure coincidence. If I feel it was just chance I'll spend some time to see if there's "life" hanging around it and if so, does it want to be left alone, be buried, or if its ok with me taking a part of it home with me.  If it seems to be empty, I'll decide whether or not I should take it with me then.  This has been the case with stones too though not as often.  There was one time I recall seeing an interesting rock that appeared to have been chipped off of a larger boulder.  There was obvious man made damage to the area (looked like someone was doing a little minor mining or maybe excavating).  I wanted to take that chunk home with me but got the distinct feeling it wasn't very happy and wanted to be placed back with the main boulder.  So I put it where it wanted and the feeling in the air seemed to lighten a good bit.  

I'm working on my relationship with the plant world.  It's where I seem to have the least connection to, even less than with things like rocks/crystals.  That surprised me but  I suspect it's due to being conditioned to thinking of plants as consumable "empty" objects.  Its a lot easier and more likely (and well...normal) to have a cupboard full of dried, chopped up and seemingly "dead or empty" herbs and flowers than a large variety of animal parts to use in a recipe- magical or not.   I find that if I make sure I'm giving plants that same attention and consideration I give to animals I sense their spirits better too.  

Last note and I'll shut up lol:  When I take animal parts, I often will give something in return.  Its like a gift exchange.  I started doing this too, to other things I harvest such as stones, plants, anything that I sense that has an attached spirit.  If what I take still has "life" to it or has been made into something and "awakened" I make sure to care for them as if they were physically alive.  The specifics of what I feed them or how I care for them may differ depending on what seems to be the best for everyone involved.  It may all be a bunch of hokey crazy nonsense but either way it sure has changed how I interact with the world around me!