Capsicum's stuffed pepper recipe

Capsicum

Stuffed peppers

Prep time: 1 hour, makes ~10 peppers, serves 5+

Ingredients:

*10 stuffing peppers (I used Big Jims but you can use Bell peppers, Poblanos, anything large and fleshy)

*1 cup dried lentils

(Optional: instead, use 1/2 cup of lentils with a cup of raw ground venison)

*1 cup rice

*1 cup sliced mushrooms

1 cup diced tomatoes

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp minced garlic

10 slices provolone cheese

olive oil

salt

1) Start cooking rice in a small pot on the side (if you can't cook rice then get the hell out of the kitchen ;))  In a medium to large skillet that has a cover, put a light dribble of olive oil, garlic, and thyme and allow to heat up to medium until sizzling.  Add dried lentils, tomatoes, mushrooms, a pinch of salt, and 2 cups water.  Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.

20141009_174457_zpslqov8er1.jpg

2) Begin prepping the peppers, cut off the tops and remove the seeds/spines.  Check the rice, remove from heat if it's ready.  After 10 minutes add 2 cups of the cooked rice to the already simmering pan and add 1 more cup of water.  Stir and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes on medium/high.  I also at this time add my "special ingredient" --scorpion pepper powder, which renders the food inedible to other members of the household.  Preheat oven to 350F.  Prepare a baking tray with oil/grease.

20141009_174553_zpsopzmwdbi.jpg

20141009_174933_zpsugilpowr.jpg

3) After 10 minutes remove stuffing mixture from heat.  Take provolone slice, cut in half and put one half in the botom of the pepper.  To stuff peppers I use a wooden spoon so I can also use the skinny end to ram it down in there.  Leave some space to put the other half of the cheese slice in the top.  Wrap them in foil (I didn't have any---the cheese spilled in the oven so I spooned it back in at the end).  Bake for 20 minutes and remove carefully from oven.  The Big Jims or Anaheims can be eaten like a burrito, or you can serve it with a fork/spoon/knife whatever.

20141009_180756_zps9sl94gwg.jpg

20141009_180750_zpsxniflzwm.jpg

20141009_183829_zpsijd59bqe.jpg

you may have some stuffing mixture and rice left over if it doesn't all fit into the peppers.  This stuff works great on a tortilla.

Yum, I recently tried something similar which I replaced the bell peppers most people used for it with jalapeños which turned out marvelously Which I also cook mine in the oven basted in tomato sauce with cheese slightly covered on the top of them as well. Due to the size of some of the peppers size it was limited on what how much I could stuff it with so I preserved some of the stuffing to serve on the side with tomato sauce covering the top of the original mixture that would have been stuffed inside. Though you did give me an idea of using a few drops of the scorpion seed extract in the tomato sauce. Though I may opt for extract of a milder nature invade I'm not the only one eating. Thank you and it looks beautiful.

Ravenshaw, I've never considered breading them, but it would probably work if you had a large enough deep fryer

JustJest, sometimes I make fajitas with straight scorpions as a replacement for bell peppers and jalas, but people think I'm not right in the head as it is with the hot shit

Wexler, They're fine without the cheese, I made a couple without cheese and had those for lunch today at work, there' isn't a noticeable difference in flavor--I just like cheese

Horne, what happened to your oven?  Witchcraft gone wrong? :P

Your post couldn't have come at a better time, Capsicum.  I bought a red bell pepper three days ago with the sole purpose of stuffing/baking it.  I just tried your recipe today and it is AMAZING!  The only thing I did differently was use Swiss in place of the Provolone cheese (my vegan stint has officially reverted to vegetarianism, heh).

capsstuffed_zps2981cf0a.jpg

20141010_135424_zps5143a2bc.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Horne, what happened to your oven?  Witchcraft gone wrong? :tongue:

It was one of my statuses recently, the glass door crumbled and fell to the floor while I was simply making toast. It still puzzles me what happened. LOL

Oh I have heard my taste buds were scorched a long time ago by the way I can eat them. Just my friends can't handle it that spicy so I have to tame it down a bit when friends or over. Though I hope you don't mind if I alter some of your stuffing when I make chimichangas I always found this mixture along with a few other things go great with it just never thought of using the extract in it.

Wow! We used to have these growing up all the time (well, sans lentils and add beef lol)... 

My grandfather also adds an egg on top and lets it bake :D. Well, we use those giant Bell peppers and halve them, so theres room to not let the egg drip everywhere

The lentils are an AWESOME substitute, I never thought of it!! Thanks for sharing caps! Do you prefer green or brown...? I think I will try brown, but let me know!

Also, for other vegs, Gardein is a brand that makes awesome fake ground beef is an incredible substitute for ground beef.. has a very similar texture, and as long as there is not too much liquid in a recipe, it will keep that texture/flavor :). So I guess for this recipe I would add it frozen to the mixture just before I put it to bake...

For Wex, or others who are not wanting cheese, but need something to flavor it, you can add lemon, cumin and coriander, and omit the thyme and hot pepper  to give it a different flavor profile :D. I make something similar to this called Dolma which I learned from the OH's grandma ... :). 

Also sprinkle parmesean and/or romano cheese before cooking Caps.. trruussttt me :D.. so nom...

Great, now I'm hungry!!! Thanks guys ;)