14 replies to this topic

#1 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

This thread is to continue the discussion from today's Moderated Chat on the topic "What exactly IS Traditional Witchcraft?"

A brief summary for those who couldn't attend: our chat started out with a bit of history about TW, and how Wicca came into existence in the mid-1900's, and the differences between the two - they are NOT one and the same, nor interchangeable!! We then talked about how a witch has a way of being, or existing -being a witch is something you ARE, not something you just DO. We also talked about voudou and hoodoo.

Feel free to add in any further thoughts or comments, or if you missed the chat, post your thoughts on this sometimes controversial topic.

:D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#2 Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:35 PM

You hit the nail on the head KW! Cant wait for the next Chat!!!
[URL="http://usamericanpolitics.ning.com/"][/URL]

#3 Cairelle

Cairelle

GiGi Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:46 AM

Yes, I enjoyed it as well. I'm looking forward to the next one too. I wonder what topic Anjel will decide on?? :D

“People don’t live in New Orleans because it is easy. They live here because they are incapable of living anywhere else in the just same way.” – Ian McNulty, A Season of Night: New Orleans Life After Katrina

#4 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:46 AM

I'm not sure yet....but give me a day or two :)

#5 Sandy

Sandy

Administrator/Hostess

• Administrators
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

looking forward to reading the copied and pasted chat :) .. save saying the same stuff that was already discussed :)
Posted Image
A Traditional Poker Posted Image (poke it with a stick and see what happens)
"Most important things in life; Good Food, Good Wine, Good Sex and a Damn Good Giggle!" Posted Image
Visit my Website: www.sandycristel.com
Visit my BLOG: www.blog.sandycristel.com
Follow me on TWITTER: http://twitter.com/SandyCristel

#6 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

There is fellow on The Witches Voice who claims to be a Trad Witch Druid, He claims to be telling the truth about Trad Witchcraft. He claims that we believe in the same Gods and Goddesses as the mcwiccans do and so on. He claims that we are not that different from mcwicca. Most Trads I know only use one God and One Goddess, if they use any at all. Some Trads invoke the Homeland ,wiccans do not. Trads I know do not cast circles or call watch towers. Wiccans do. Trads do not follow a rede or a three fold law, they believe in taking responsibilty for their actions. A Trad Witch will harm you if he/she feels threatened or their family, this is a matter of honor for them. Wiccans incorporate eastern philosophies into their beliefs, ie, karma. All of the Trads that I know do not. I will get off my soap box now.hehehehe

#7 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:31 AM

There is fellow on The Witches Voice who claims to be a Trad Witch Druid, He claims to be telling the truth about Trad Witchcraft. He claims that we believe in the same Gods and Goddesses as the mcwiccans do and so on. He claims that we are not that different from mcwicca. Most Trads I know only use one God and One Goddess, if they use any at all. Some Trads invoke the Homeland ,wiccans do not. Trads I know do not cast circles or call watch towers. Wiccans do. Trads do not follow a rede or a three fold law, they believe in taking responsibilty for their actions. A Trad Witch will harm you if he/she feels threatened or their family, this is a matter of honor for them. Wiccans incorporate eastern philosophies into their beliefs, ie, karma. All of the Trads that I know do not. I will get off my soap box now.hehehehe

He is an idiot claiming to be a REAL DRUID and that REAL traditional witches believe in the rule of 3 and that REAL WITCHES do NOT hex or curse. HE can bite me.

#8 arabi

arabi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:23 PM

Anjel honey, dont hold back now, tell us what you really think:rofl::lmao:.
Somewhere, however far or near, there is something very dark and grim hurtling toward each one of us. We just don't know when it will hit. Then, quite suddenly, it won't be all right at all.

#9 AnjelWolf

AnjelWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

Lol

#10 Guest_53rdspirit_*

Guest_53rdspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

I saw his picture...what's he smoking?

#11 Leigh

Leigh

Lover, Dreamer, Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

Well, I do believe in Karma, in so much as I believe in the Golden Rule.
I have to live up to the same standards I put to others or accept the resulting bitch slap from being such a snot.

#12 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Don't know, but it must be really good.

#13 akinardragonstar

akinardragonstar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hey Leigh, Thats cool if you believe in karma. It's just the Trads I know that don't. Have a great day Leigh.

#14 SaiOdin

SaiOdin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

Though the term Karma and the "rules" of it are eastern in origin, u can find references to a kind of fate or karma or wyrd in a lot of western cultures. I personally like to think of it as more of a balancing. Nature usually does this on its own. The best example i can think of off the top of my head is a Forest Fire. Forest fires destroy but also they can sometimes clear room and start new growth. If someone were to start a forest fire it would be of No benefit to anyone or anything (nature included) for that person to be set on fire. I think its rather ego-centric for humans to think that whatever form of karma or balance they believe in (if any) revolves squarely around them.

i'd just like to say to that the Wiccan three-fold rule/law should be "What you do comes back to you in three ways; mentally/emotionally, physically, and spritually" not "What you do comes back to you three times over". Anyone who thinks about this seriously would realize that this makes more sense than if you kick someone in the shin you'll get three kicks to the shin back or that u'll get a kick three times stronger. Unfortunately most Wiccans don't think, they just believe whatever is written in a book.

#15 musca

musca

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:10 AM

I only believe in it as far as saying...

"Hey, Dude, I'm sorry my Karma hit your Dogma..."
Shuts most folk up right quick, I must say! :happydance: