Photo
- - - - -

MY SON IS SHOWING SIGNS OF A GIFT WHAT SHOULD I DO?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

My son is seven years old and is showing signs of psychic mediumism just like me. He has been telling me he know what I'm thinking and  I asked him what am I thinking and he told me exactly what I was thinking and even how it makes me feel. I asked him how he knows how I feel about it and he said because I can feel what you feel. If that wasn't shocking enough, he asked me if ghosts can talk to you and I asked him why and he said they talk to me and sometimes I see them too. Now he has no idea of my abilities or that I practice the Craft. So I tried something, I sat in the kitchen and he was in the living room and I focused a question in my mind and released it in a sphere of energy. And he turned around and "no dad I'm not ready for bed yet." And that was the question I focused in my mind and released. He seems very concerned about what he can do,feel,and see. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I explain it to him and tell him I can do these things too that he might be more afraid and feel like he is an outcast. Please help I never thought this would happen and don't know how to handle it! :sad:

#2 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

This is 100% over my head. But, keep calm and carry on! I hope other people here have good advice, I would have no idea what to do either.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#3 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

You actually just said: "tell him I can do these things too that he might be more afraid and feel like he is an outcast"

Why would knowing someone else is the same make him more of an outcast?  Wouldnt it actually do the opposite?  

This isnt something you should try to stop (if you could) or that you need to nurture.  Just be their for your child and answer questions when you are able to.  Support and love them - the rest will figure itself out along the way.  

#4 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

My daughter showed signs and abilities at an early age - as I did.

I think the first and most important thing is to have a conversation about privacy and not discussing these things outside of you and/or others that don't understand it.  It's sad but the world we live in today would have him medicated and labeled if he was to discuss this freely with teachers and such.

He sounds as if he has a strong ability in empathy and psychic skills.  Helping him to manage and control those so that he can still fit in in society and not be seen as a freak or an outcast is vitally important.  Using words to put these abilities in a positive light can be tremendously helpful.  He's 'senstitive' to the feelings of others.  This can lead to compassion OR to using what he can sense to harm or hurt more deeply.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#5 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

I have zero experience with children, so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt.  But I had the exact same question as Travsha: why would knowing that the most important man in his life shares the same Gifts make him feel more afraid and like a pariah?  I imagine it would be quite comforting to know that a parent shares the same Talents, especially to a seven-year-old who is entering the stage of human development considered 'The Age of Reasoning'.  I also echo RoseRed's sentiment about stressing the need for discretion.  However, I'd put a heavy positive spin on it- pointing out how special and wonderful It can be, and that some things have to be kept secret because not everyone has the same gift and they might be jealous or scared of It because they don't know any better.

Good luck!

#6 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

I don't have personal experience in this, but my opinion would be to protect him and show him to protect himself - physically and magically. Privacy about his abilities so others do not use it against him, shields against the mundane and ethereal alike....also, let him know its all right, and let him flourish - he has a gift!

RSKHFMY

#7 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

However, I'd put a heavy positive spin on it- pointing out how special and wonderful It can be, and that some things have to be kept secret because not everyone has the same gift and they might be jealous or scared of It because they don't know any better.

--------------------

I like this a lot - you dont want to worry your kid at all, and this makes it fun, but also lets the child know that others might not understand your families style.  

I dont think anyone has to worry about their kids going to a mental hospital though - as long as they dont pose a danger to anyone there is no way to commit them without parent approval.  As long as you support your child and they dont hurt anyone with their magic powers, I think you are fine.  

#8 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

My son is seven years old and is showing signs of psychic mediumism just like me. He has been telling me he know what I'm thinking and  I asked him what am I thinking and he told me exactly what I was thinking and even how it makes me feel. I asked him how he knows how I feel about it and he said because I can feel what you feel.

As RoseRed suggested, your child may have empathic abilities.  Growing up as an empathic child can be difficult. It can be very difficult for a teenager. Teenagers often have hard times at understanding emotions, everything seems so bing and overwhelming - the wieght of the world is on your shoulders. Having to deal with changes in  your own body, social pressure at school and with those of potentially everyone else, can be really, really though.  In my case, this led me to bottle up a lot, and to shut closed a part of me that, years later, I find painful to open again. I do not have kids and do not know much about them, but I would have loved, growing up, to have someone who was supportive of me, understood what I was growing through, and maybe thought me a trick or two.

Aria

Edited by Aria, 09 October 2014 - 07:18 PM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#9 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

I'm going to be the counter voice here.  Your child may not have emphatic abilities at all, he might just have a closer familial connection to you.  So what you see he see's, what you think he knows, what you assume he feels and realistically has done so all along only now its becoming more recognizable to you. Nor does it mean he simply is not visualizing things based upon your actions, reactions and observations that are projected outward though you may not realize it.  It's also the point where he will begin detaching from the mothers familial line and connecting to the fathers, especially if there is a strong presence to begin with.

In many ways its no different than the familial connection that occurs between spouses when they start and finish each others, thoughts, sentences, idea's, etc.  It's not a gift, its not psychic, its not emphatic its  very similar but not suggestive of having a gift.  Familiarity is really strong in children with their parents though many try not to acknowledge or recognize it, yet it is one of the ways they learn.

Encourage him to explore and test it but don't assume it is showing signs of anything.  There is more danger of you causing disappointment and damage to him assuming than there is probable repercussions from his peers.  The more you make of it the greater he shall try to live up to your expectations and testing.  Yes I said testing for you've already started that by your own admission here of trying to see if he can read your mind.  None of which even touches upon the so called developed mind of an adult and the undeveloped mind of a child and how they process information.

There's a reason most family trads don't start things that young other than exposing their children to various aspects such as placing your hands in earth and feeling its pulse for instance.  Especially so in that you don't want him to be a magnet and pull things to him because he might be able to see or hear.  Been there and had it done to me and I only had part of a veil at birth.  If you do then you had better make damn certain your powerful enough, experienced enough and knowledgeable enough to intercept what comes calling.  But sadly the road to hell is paved with good intentions and the ones who suffer is the supposed gifted child.

Edited by monsnoleedra, 09 October 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#10 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:53 PM

I thank everyone for their advise I think I will just love him the way I always have and when he asks questions just answer them honestly. Also I started seeing and hearing spirits and communicated with them at the age of five I never had it explained to me until I was 18 and found out that it runs heavily in my family. When I was finally told I was pissed to say the least! They felt it wasa good idea to keep it from me and to this day i'm still pissed about it I could have used their help!

#11 Celcat

Celcat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:22 PM

I think you have gotten some great advice and that you'll just need to take it day by day. There are a few basic things you can teach him that are good skills to have whether or not he's showing magical ability.  How to keep his mind guarded.  That he has the power to tell scary things no.  That it is impolite to tell people how they are feeling/what they are thinking. And that keeping your hands busy can help to quiet the mind.  I use knitting, my youngest builds with legos.  Both help us to shut the world out and relax.  I also think he's very lucky to have you there, to know that he can come to you with questions and trusts you with his secrets.

#12 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

Thank you Celcat,I like your advise and it makes me feel good about being his father. You are very nonassuming and not judgmental that's two great qualities to have as a person! Thank you for that. :smile:

#13 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:27 AM

I do tend to think these kinds of gifts run in families. So, it doesn't surprise me that your son's gifts are like your own. Sounds like you have a good plan now, so that's great. :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#14 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

Thank you Anara! :smile:

#15 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just two humble cents, I find the topic really interesting - also because it reminds me alot of my family, although these activities were never encouraged by my parents.

I'm going to be the counter voice here.  Your child may not have emphatic abilities at all, he might just have a closer familial connection to you.  So what you see he see's, what you think he knows, what you assume he feels and realistically has done so all along only now its becoming more recognizable to you. Nor does it mean he simply is not visualizing things based upon your actions, reactions and observations that are projected outward though you may not realize it.  It's also the point where he will begin detaching from the mothers familial line and connecting to the fathers, especially if there is a strong presence to begin with;

In many ways its no different than the familial connection that occurs between spouses when they start and finish each others, thoughts, sentences, idea's, etc.  It's not a gift, its not psychic, its not emphatic its  very similar but not suggestive of having a gift.  Familiarity is really strong in children with their parents though many try not to acknowledge or recognize it, yet it is one of the ways they learn.

That's a very valid point of view I think. It is also true, in my experience, that children have very good antennas and tend to tap into things quite randomly.These 'antennas' often retire as they become young adults and grown women and men.

Encourage him to explore and test it but don't assume it is showing signs of anything.  There is more danger of you causing disappointment and damage to him assuming than there is probable repercussions from his peers.  The more you make of it the greater he shall try to live up to your expectations and testing.  Yes I said testing for you've already started that by your own admission here of trying to see if he can read your mind.  None of which even touches upon the so called developed mind of an adult and the undeveloped mind of a child and how they process information.

I agree in part, monsnoleedra. I agree that it may be better not to put ideas in the kid's mind, or give to much weight to something that may eventually fade away. However, I also think that if there are signs of particular abilities, this should discretely and lightly be encouraged. If I saw that my kid had a talent for music I would encourage him to purse his passion - if that's what he wants. I have a sister that has quite strong medianic abilities, something that has been running in my family for a while. When she was a kid and then a teenager, the only person in the family who recognized 'the gift' as such, and made deliberate use of it, was long dead. She is a young woman now, with no interest at all in using her gift (but sometimes I think: had she really ever had a choice, given that no one was there to explain what was happening to her?). At the same time, she did not learn to manage it, so she would occasionally see things. These are normally discussed with an aunt who has the same ability (and with whom she often dreams in sync), and then dismissed as the usual weird thing - only to be surprised when the dream is found to be prophetic afterwards.

But sadly the road to hell is paved with good intentions and the ones who suffer is the supposed gifted child.

Yes, yes, yes. Again, I don't have children, but I think the right measure there is to be found in a light-hearted approach, but also a willigness to accompany the kid through possible troubles and discomfort. Eventually, if the kid is really gifted, it will come up sooner or later.

Aria

Edited by Aria, 10 October 2014 - 07:33 AM.

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#16 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

Very true Aria,I wish someone would have been there for me sooner so I wasn't feel like there was something wrong with me. It run through out my family they thought it was a good idea to not tell me even though I would ask is there something wrong with me. It could have saved me from a lot of painful years.

#17 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:02 PM

Music has been used as a comparison here so will continue in that vein.

You have a child that seems to have an increased affinity for music.  So being the loving parent you try to guide, inspire and influence the development of that skill set.  Here's where it gets bad though, you push to the point where what was natural and fun becomes a task and inspires pain and reluctance.  You push and try to inspire but don't have the same skill set or calling towards the same things so your advise pushes towards what YOU the adult assume it to be and believe it to be.  The adult many times falls into the trap of using the child to relive his / her own desires, dreams and youth so the guidance is not to enlighten the child but to aide the adult.  None of that touching upon supposed guidance in the best of intents which opens the child to greater danger than actually having an adult who is both qualified to do so and has the skills and knowledge to protect as well.

So you have a parent who played lets say drums and uses that knowledge to try and inspire a child who has an affinity for the trumpet.  Then the parent is focused upon 60 soft rock but the child is being called to 80's head banger.  Then lets just for discussion say the adult is a righty and the child a lefty.  But the parent says they know music theory and how to read music so it qualifies them to explain and explore with the child.  They claim they have a music ear and pass that perception to the child in the desire to guide and expose the child.

I had the luxury of growing up within a family type tradition where my elders oversaw various teachings.  Yet they chose, as I have, to error on the side of caution vice trying to push to quickly even though something appears to be developing and being exposed as a skill.  For most fam trads I've dealt with nothing was seriously started until you were around 12 and were given the option of taking an active role in your development.  But more so because you also had the vocabulary and such to actually start explaining things through exposure via games and such.  Figure we learnt observation through terrarium games for instance and exposed to the concepts of multiple dimensions or plains of reality through them.

One of the reasons I so dislike book taught paganism.  In many ways the movie Six Sense was correct, it takes a dead person to teach how to speak to and see dead people not a living person.  A living person may talk about it but until they've crossed the veil themselves they can not explain it or truthfully indicate what they are seeing, hearing and why.  I especially like when its someone who hears things, you'd be amazed how many people insist its dead people they are talking to and never understand the other peoples of this world and dimension also speak to us if we listen.  Heck, perhaps some of the new agers also have it right when they say the voices one might hear are aliens of some sort.  But I know for certain a drummer will never teach a bass player how to fully embrace and play their gifted instrument and frequently it screws them up when they try.  Two different instruments, two different means of playing and bringing them to life, to different ways of feeling and experiencing them, two different families of instruments, two different mindsets about the whole process, even if they do happen to both be musicians and have similar traits on the surface.

Of course just my opinion for what its worth.

#18 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Why does your child not know who you are and what you do? If it is a big, bad secret it will be perceived as big and bad. What would you do if he showed  talent for drawing or throwing a football? It he grows up exposed to things as if they were "normal" (which they ARE) he will have no reason to fear them. "Ghosts" are like any human person... if he doesn't know them they are strangers. All children should know about strangers and both the negatives and positives of meeting new people, making new friends, or avoiding dangers. And how to do this safely in both the mundane and magical. Why is this different? Why is it not just part of life as he lives it? If it is made into a big deal in his eyes, it will become a big deal. I'm sure at his age he knows not to get into cars with strangers, but also that he can make new friends mommy approves of and whose parents mommy knows. As for reading minds... I'm sure he knows in the mundane not to blurt out in WalMart "that lady's really fat and ugly and she has curlers in her hair and they look stupid" because it would be inappropriate. So just extend that to include knowing that blurting out what other people are thinking can be an invasion of privacy and inappropriate, but it can also be very useful and inform him of things others may not know. Teach him how to tell the difference, and when he should bring some things to your attention or not. 

M

#19 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

The only people that know what I do is my wife and my dad. My wife never wanted me to tell him because she was afraid of him telling others and kids and teachers at school. Where I live is a very small town and it is a highly xtian town who don't take lightly this sort of thing. The other day I did finally told him and he took it very well. I have wxplained to him that he can't go and tell people because people wouldn't understand.

#20 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

In my personally opinion I think while regarding a child ( though I have none of myself just I know the experience from when I was a child) be open to them about it but make sure they realize it's a gift and make clear about the secrecy of it as well. I wish I would have had someone around that understood when I was a child.