• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

Here's a video of me spinning fire poi (pardon the watermark at the top, it's from the recording software). I was getting tired by this spin, because I had been spinning for a raku firing on campus for about 3 hours previous to this last spin (note the pissy look). Normally, I dance much more, if I get a more "active" video, I'll post it.

Sorry for the crappy quality!

Song: "Triveni" by Rodrigo Y Gabriela

Edited by Ravenshaw, 08 October 2014 - 03:59 PM.

RSKHFMY

#2 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Looks still pretty active to me. :wink:

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#3 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

Nice talent you have there, RS! Fun video. :)

#4 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:39 PM

That is so cool! If I tried that I would turn myself into a human torch.lol. How did you learn to do that?

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thanks guys!

hawkwind - As soon as I saw someone do it, I knew I had to learn it. So, I actually started looking up lesson videos on the internet because I didn't have anyone to teach me. There are a lot of resources for it: never spin fire first, practice with tennis balls in panty hose until you are fluent.

RSKHFMY

#6 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:23 PM

I found the video with the music going with it just so relaxing. I think if I watched long enough I could go into a trance! I felt like I was going to when I watched it. You have a truely amazing talent! :thumbsup:

#7 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

This reminds me so much of something I used to do a lot, well when I could walk. It's the same concept just the difference would be the metal slates that slide into the nunchaku I used. The sponge would be coated in a flammable substance and I would do a lot of similar things with the exception of the dance would free flow more into a martial art form. Though when I first learned that neck transitions didn't work well when I had longer hair so I had to keep it short or lengthen the the rod inside nunchaku all together. At one point I would use two but it seemed that it held certain limitations so I went back to a single pair. This video brings back so many memories thank you for sharing it was beautiful. ( sorry if I derailed the topic in anyway it wasn't my intention)

#8 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

That is AWESOME!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Thank you :) I enjoy doing it very much.

JJ - I have thought about trying nunchakus but haven't gotten around to it. Staff, I think, will be my next venture

RSKHFMY

#10 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:58 PM

+1 that was cool

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#11 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:36 AM

My suggestion with the nunchaku please practice with a foam one for awhile before attempting it with flames. It will make it a lot easier also you will get the hang of the transitions quicker when your dealing with it. Unless you are at least proficient with the nunchaku. And it's all about hand placement I like to have my hands near the top of the nunchaku about 2 -4 inches below the connection spindle or bearings in it depending on what type you get.

#12 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:26 AM

Haha no worries, one thing I've learned in my 3 years of playing with fire is NEVER play with fire first.... always get the soft, squishy ones because you will hit yourself in the face a million times, no matter what the toy is.

RSKHFMY

#13 JustJest

JustJest

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

I made the mistake of practicing without foam. In retrospect it was a huge mistake that I learned painfully from hitting myself all over the face back of the head and groins. I'm just glad I never started with fire or I'd have more than singed hair then when I first started. Also if you don't mind me saying, no matter how toyish it may seem it's still considered a dangerous weapon. If you decide to go and try them and if you ever find any difficulty in it feel free to ask and I will completely oblige you with whatever help I can provide.

#14 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

Awesome, love the video :)
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#15 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

Wow RS, very cool and a bit scary to watch! My husband uses nuchakus. That is a bit scary to watch as well, though I have never seen him hit himself with them. Good thing too, cuz they can do a lot of damage.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#16 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

Beautiful moves, RS. A friend of mine tried to get me into it a few years back so I know what you make flawless is super tricky to achieve.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#17 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Wow, how did I miss this one?  +1 --Awesome skill there!  Thanks for sharing.  Have you ever tried learning to use a staff like this?

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#18 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:32 PM

Pikku - thank you! It's only hard at first, once you get the hang of it (takes about 3 months) then it becomes much easier. But yes, at first it's a lot of hitting yourself and your friends and OH LOOK I just shot a poi off into the distance.... XD

Cap - I have tried a little bit of staff, and I believe I have a good natural disposition for it. However, I have not taken the time to just hunker down and learn staff. That's on my repertoire for winter, I believe. After 3+ years, I need a little more variety than poi.... I do hoop a bit though, not well enoug to play with fire hoops or anything. Also, I play with fire fans, which I think are my new favorite in many ways.

RSKHFMY

#19 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:29 PM

Awesome Raven! My partner uses a fire hoop, I have friends that use poi and staffs, an I am going to be working with some fire dancers soon! If you are ever passing through SW Virginia let me know, we could get a caravan of artists together for a fun moonlight gathering :)

#20 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

I have never used a fire hoop but may have the chance next spring. What a captivating toy!

Same for you if you're ever in WV, we could enjoy some fiery night debauchery! Especially if you can bring your excellent music.

RSKHFMY