Photo
- - - - -

Finally met my true spirit guide! should I be feeling this different?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

I FINALLY met my true spirit guide today! I was meditating by candle light as usual when I met this spirit that came to me and I felt very strange but in a good way. This spirit said to speak to them through the candle flame so when I opened my eyes and looked at the flame it was moving all over and it started communicating to me through the flame. I asked them if they were an ancestor of mine and they said no, but was present at my birth and has been waiting for me to be ready for communication with them. After communicating with them the last thing they said was "i will be with you at all times". I feel totally different now like all my senses have been amplified. Is this normal? :thinking:

#2 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

Sounds normal to me, but everyone has a different "normal".  Normal isnt really objective, but very very subjective, so it changes from person to person.

#3 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

Don't know about the "True" spirit guide statement as that implies that there are false spirit guides.  Yet as Travsha suggested "Normal" is very subjective so what is normal today maybe different tomorrow and change from person to person or situation to situation.  I will state that some Native American Nations believe one has as many as 9 spirit guides connected to them at any time, often to include a birth guide that walks beside you the length of your life.  I would suggest you consider that not all pathways have a belief in Spirit Guides or recognize them as part of a spiritual / occultist pathway so it would not be unusual for them to ask if your imagination wasn't working overtime or self created.  Not saying that is the case only something to consider and be aware of. 

#4 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:27 AM

I should not have used the word True. What I mean was this was the first that I felt really connected too. I some paths don't believe in spirit guides in this way. I have many spirits that I work with this one I just felt much more of a connection with. Trust me my imagination is in check. People will think what they want to think, everyone has their own beliefs and practices which I don't judge anyone for their practices no matter how different they are from mine.

#5 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:56 AM

Be careful, spirits lie.  Be completely sure you know what you're dealing with before you allow it into your life uninhibited.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#6 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

I think you are right about that, Cap.

I had a familiar spirit (familiar as in, known to me) hanging around me for years. It claimed to be my spirit guide that was with me from birth and through past lives and it would stay with me forever. That relationship turned sour after I finally believed it, let down my defenses, and it attacked me. Now I am mostly mistrusting of things that hand me generous promises and tell me everything I've always wanted to hear.

As Monsno sometimes says, would you trust answers you don't have to work for? Sorry if I'm misquoting you here M. The answer for me is no, I would not, and in fact I may just turn around and go the other way. As much as I like to think otherwise, I'm not really so great that beings will offer me lifelong loyalty for no other reason than I was born fabulous.

That being said, I am extremely unfamiliar with how spirit guides actually work and approach people and all that. Monsno is right that this varies for every tradition, so it is really hard to say whether or not an experience is "normal".

I would ask myself, what big breakthrough have I made recently that has made me 'finally' ready to be contacted by my life-long spirit guide? In the way I see things, to get such an important entity to finally show itself would probably take a lot of effort and life changes, not just regularly meditating or active practice.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#7 Havilland

Havilland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

Just to chime in with Wexler, just because the feeling you get from a spirit can be good does not always mean that it IS good. As I do not know your practice, I cannot judge what is good or not. If it is a true spirit guide, then I am happy for you to have some aide along your life journey. I am so grateful to my ancestral guides, even if they are a bit lippy from time to time with their ideas vs my own. 

Personally I would be wary of a spirit that just popped in during a normal meditation, but I've had enough happen to me in life that I would rather ere to be wary than welcome in something unwanted. 

#8 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:43 AM

All I know is that when Heron introduced itself to me it was just damn downright rude. No promises, no beguiling, definitely no sweet-talking. And it wasn't even a kind of bird I especially adored either, it was just there right straight in my face and I had to deal and put up with it. LOL The appreciation came later.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#9 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:47 PM

All I know is that when Heron introduced itself to me it was just damn downright rude. No promises, no beguiling, definitely no sweet-talking. And it wasn't even a kind of bird I especially adored either, it was just there right straight in my face and I had to deal and put up with it. LOL The appreciation came later.

For weeks before Heron made his formal appearance to me it was every where.  On the rivers, on TV, in book ads and in my dreams or would come up in random discussions that had nothing to do with it.  Even then it was the non-character things it did that made it stand out not just a Heron being a Heron.  Though sometimes just being a Heron made an impression like when you find its foot prints all around a pond in the snow yet you think they've left the area already.

#10 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:24 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from! And after reading what some have posted here I started to really think on this I think you guys are right. I being a medium sometimes I have had spirits that were quite deceiving! As you have said it was just to easy and I should know better to automaticly trust it. I think it might of made me trust it through it finding my weakness which is not having protection around me when I due spirit work. I know I should always do a protective ritual before doing any work but I just keep thinking it will hinder the power of my connection to the spirit world. Thanks for the insight,that's why I'm here to learm more and get some control on my gift/curse. :thanks:

#11 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Every spirit that has claimed to be a guide of mine so far has only helped me.  If the spirit tells you something that goes against your common sense, then dont listen to it.  If everything it says resonates with you, and seems to help you - then trust the spirit.  My experience is that we all have different guides who help us, and it would be a shame to not work with a guide just because some people scared you off.  

By the way - most of the guides I work with I first met because they just "popped" into a meditation or vision.  This is just the style of work I do.  I dont search out spirits from some old book, but work with the ones already helping me, or I also work with many plant and rock spirits.  If you do work with one guide enough to start really trusting them, this in my opinion is a great defense, because that spirit can then vouch for other spirits you meet.  I would test out this spirit to see how their advice affects your life, and if it goes well, then awesome!  If not - get rid of them.  At least give the spirit a chance though - or you could miss out on a awesome friend and guide.  

#12 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from! And after reading what some have posted here I started to really think on this I think you guys are right. I being a medium sometimes I have had spirits that were quite deceiving! As you have said it was just to easy and I should know better to automaticly trust it. I think it might of made me trust it through it finding my weakness which is not having protection around me when I due spirit work. I know I should always do a protective ritual before doing any work but I just keep thinking it will hinder the power of my connection to the spirit world. Thanks for the insight,that's why I'm here to learm more and get some control on my gift/curse. :thanks:

What I'm about to say may sound a bit contradictory on the surface to what I normally say so keep that in mind.

I find that Spirit Guides fall into many categories but for some reason most people seem to have guides that would fall into the ancestral or other entity category.  These types I tend to find have many of the same faults, motivations and perspectives of many humans.  As such they may have your best interest in heart or their own best interest in heart and guide and aid only because it is of benefit to them to do so.  Even when it is ancestral guides ones ancestors don't always have their descendants best interest in mind.

That said guides may also be of any of the peoples of the planet such as 4 legs, 2 legs, green or standing ones, winged ones, fined ones, etc and their motivation is usually very unhuman like.  You could be walking in a forest for instance and one of them talks to you and its spirit may linger with you for years.  In part because they perceive time differently than we do so a year to us is but a minute to them in how they view the passage of time.  It also falls into the sense of the super spirit for some of them in that say the spirit of a given family of tree's speaks to you and you go somewhere else and the super spirit of that group continues to speak and guide.  In that instances its almost like you connected to a person but they're also on a party line and thus you connect to everyone on that line.  Will admit they use some crazy symbology at times that is also time insensitive 

Then you have elemental type guides who for some fall into a demi status as they are not human, are not one of the peoples of the planet, are not divinity but are not what many would classify as demonic.  Demonic used in the Abrahamic sense not the earlier Hellenic sense of Daemons.  Here your getting into Elves, nymphs, driads, kelpies, selkies, etc that are more mythological / folkish in nature.  Some might even move some of the vampiric type entities into this category.  In my experience they are never about you but about them and how aiding you aides them.  As such they might be your best friend for years then abandon you because it no longer aides them.  SO are best approached with a certain degree of distance and mistrust, sort of like the many stories you see and hear of the fae and how they might aide, screw with you or harm for no apparent reason at all.

So you have to not only consider how they appear but from where they hail to determine working with them or them with you.

#13 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm just so pulled about it because I have never come across a spirit like this it had a human form but very illuminated which kind of overloaded my senses which I have never had that happen before. Every since then I have been overly sensitive to everything and alot of mood changes today which is abnormal for me :wallbash:

#14 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

I'm just so pulled about it because I have never come across a spirit like this it had a human form but very illuminated which kind of overloaded my senses which I have never had that happen before. Every since then I have been overly sensitive to everything and alot of mood changes today which is abnormal for me :wallbash:

If this is your lifelong true spirit guide, then I feel like you have a lot of time to figure it out, you know? If this being is meant to be with you forever, it won't just leave if you don't immediately accept it. Consider that if a human you have never seen before walked up to you on the street, took you by the hand, and said, "I'm your soul mate and I will never leave your side," you would probably be naturally dubious and think it over before inviting her to move in and open a joint checking account.

Being sensitive to everything could be a side-effect to having an intense experience. I am pretty 'shut down' right now, but even a chat marathon yesterday with other witches has opened me up and returned some of my magical sensitivity. During other times, sensitivity for me has been blown wide open after being involved in intense (for me! :P) magical acts - not related to trying to open my third eye, or going through a life-changing experience. As for the mood changes, you are not alone in that, it seems like a few of us are behaving oddly leading up to the eclipse. Other than that I couldn't guess why meeting a spirit would give someone mood swings.

[avatar source]

#15 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:53 PM

I think it might of made me trust it through it finding my weakness which is not having protection around me when I due spirit work. I know I should always do a protective ritual before doing any work but I just keep thinking it will hinder the power of my connection to the spirit world. Thanks for the insight,that's why I'm here to learm more and get some control on my gift/curse. :thanks:

Just musing here -

Do you set boundaries for what can contact you or what is invited in to your home?

I think in order to be successful in any task, you have to be properly prepared. Consider hiking - I'd love to take to the trails bare-footed in a pair of flannel shorts and a tank top with nothing but me and nature. I'd probably not get too far before a bad sunburn, bug bites, a twisted ankle, or a sharp nail brought an end to my adventure. A healthy coating of sunscreen won't make me less connected with Sunna or make her touch less warm, it will just stop my skin from frying. Likewise, a nice pair of hiking boots won't disconnect me from nature, but rather allow me to travel with her comfortably and securely (cue all the witches who say wearing shoes disconnects them from the earth! Lol). I think if I hiked for long enough I could become a wild woman who needs nothing but herself to brave those trails, but until then I think the experience would be much improved by a little basic security. Also - there is nothing wrong with wanting to spend some time in nature but avoid the mosquitoes. Blocking the unpleasant or undesirable elements of an experience doesn't make you less connected, I think it allows for more freedom to connect with what you actually want to be spending time with.

[avatar source]

#16 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

For weeks before Heron made his formal appearance to me it was every where.  On the rivers, on TV, in book ads and in my dreams or would come up in random discussions that had nothing to do with it.  Even then it was the non-character things it did that made it stand out not just a Heron being a Heron.  Though sometimes just being a Heron made an impression like when you find its foot prints all around a pond in the snow yet you think they've left the area already.

I know what you mean, even when herons are very common in the village I used to live in when Heron made its appearence to me, I saw ridiculous amounts of them before it happened, some even landing in my garden which never happened before. Living in a city now, I'm pleased I see them around a lot, these birds adapt very well to city life.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#17 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hawkind, in these situations, it is so difficult for other people to really tell you what is truly going on (unless there are some major red flags...). So, I'd say follow your instinct. I hope I don't come off as preachy in this post, but here are my thoughts :).

The fact that you were sort of anticipating a spirit guide makes you open to receiving all sorts of spirits, if that makes any sense. As was already mentioned, it is probably a good idea to set boundaries about who, what intention, what kind, how, etc spirits can contact you if you haven't already. You can work it in there once you have your personal and home protections up :).

The fact that it's altering your perception of the world can mean two things: either YOU are changed from this experience, or IT is making your experience of the world different. Did you ask it for something? Complain to it about something? Mention something to them that could have gotten misconstrued? 

How would you feel if this entity is changing your perception without your permission? That, to me, would be a red flag. But then again, maybe you did ask it for this, and this is it's way of guiding you/improving your abilities/ a side effect of it being "with" you. 

So... go with your gut. For example I feel changed since I kicked the dust off my path and started walking it again, but the change originated from within me (and is parts of me that I was ignoring/covering up/blocking out intentionally before), and not due to a spirit. My senses "opened up", and yeah it's a pain in the butt, but it came from me, not a spirit. If I was being changed from an outside influence, I would have to get to the bottom of it and see why since that seems serious to me.

I would hate for you to lose your spirit guide because we are freaking you out, but at the same time, I think it is important to be cautious to avoid worse things than just losing a spirit guide later on. Also, I don't know what your experience level is, so you may already know everything I just told you, lol. Have a chat with this spirit. 

(P.S. Your post also reminded me of something, which was helpful to me personally. To loosely quote something said on this forum once: "The entity that puts it's hand up first is often the one that charges the most.")

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm about to say may sound a bit contradictory on the surface to what I normally say so keep that in mind.

I find that Spirit Guides fall into many categories but for some reason most people seem to have guides that would fall into the ancestral or other entity category.  These types I tend to find have many of the same faults, motivations and perspectives of many humans.  As such they may have your best interest in heart or their own best interest in heart and guide and aid only because it is of benefit to them to do so.  Even when it is ancestral guides ones ancestors don't always have their descendants best interest in mind.

That said guides may also be of any of the peoples of the planet such as 4 legs, 2 legs, green or standing ones, winged ones, fined ones, etc and their motivation is usually very unhuman like.  You could be walking in a forest for instance and one of them talks to you and its spirit may linger with you for years.  In part because they perceive time differently than we do so a year to us is but a minute to them in how they view the passage of time.  It also falls into the sense of the super spirit for some of them in that say the spirit of a given family of tree's speaks to you and you go somewhere else and the super spirit of that group continues to speak and guide.  In that instances its almost like you connected to a person but they're also on a party line and thus you connect to everyone on that line.  Will admit they use some crazy symbology at times that is also time insensitive 

Then you have elemental type guides who for some fall into a demi status as they are not human, are not one of the peoples of the planet, are not divinity but are not what many would classify as demonic.  Demonic used in the Abrahamic sense not the earlier Hellenic sense of Daemons.  Here your getting into Elves, nymphs, driads, kelpies, selkies, etc that are more mythological / folkish in nature.  Some might even move some of the vampiric type entities into this category.  In my experience they are never about you but about them and how aiding you aides them.  As such they might be your best friend for years then abandon you because it no longer aides them.  SO are best approached with a certain degree of distance and mistrust, sort of like the many stories you see and hear of the fae and how they might aide, screw with you or harm for no apparent reason at all.

So you have to not only consider how they appear but from where they hail to determine working with them or them with you.

--------------------------------------------

Awesome way of putting it., Monsno! Keeping in mind these are entities that have their own motivations/goals ... 

#18 Christine

Christine

Marsh Wiggle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 05:29 AM

Hawkwind, I really would feel better if you would commit to using protective spells consistently and thoroughly.

If the method you are using dims your perceptions, there are many, many alternatives you could try. Search here for shielding, grounding, banishing spells and I guarantee you will be the opposite of disappointed. Maybe all you need is to shift the, call it polarity, of your current method. What is it? Pfffthaha, don't answer that. I kid. But if for instance if you have on a bubble, move it out a node from your inner self and that might allow clearer experiences. If you wrap yourself in deity, try a different aspect of it. If you anoint yourself, maybe the carrier is off; swap out oil for alcohol or vice versa. Eh, you get my point.

But don't just walk around naked. Naked power-bearing beings are food.

Think about it, if you are going to roll around on the floor wouldn't you rather sweep it first?  I think Wexler's hiking analogy is spot on. In fact I don't see any bad advice here, or anything that is nonessential in spirit work, familiar or otherwise.

The glow, I know I have felt it. Almost like falling in love, feeling that expansion of power and  the depth of sureness that goes along. The feeling is normal, is fabulous, and is no indication of the fitness of your ally. Divination and long-term work that establishes mutually acceptable boundaries, benefits, duties and so on are the way to go, to be sure that trust is not misplaced.

Gee, can't tell I'm a mom, can you? So basically, yes to the honeymoon, but get a signature on the pre-nup first. Don't have any such thing, don't have any business messing around.  

Don't drink from the river, drink from the well.

#19 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

I did ask them to help with my personal energy because i have issues with low energy. So I guess that they did help with that and so that's why my senses have been so amplified. I did perform a protection ritual using herbs and some incense that has worked before for other people in my family.

#20 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

Or it could be that you've progressed along your path to the point where you are now able to interact with these things.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.