33 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have noticed I have had some changes occur in what I can eat and drink since I started my Path. Most notably, I can no longer stomach hard liquor, and I feel nauseous even thinking about it. I've also lost a great deal of my taste for refined sugars and sweets. I wonder if this is related to witchcraft or something that happened spontaneously on it's own. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

I experience that when I am being conditioned for a major undertaking.  When it gets close I find I eat mostly fruits and nuts only for about 24 - 48 hours in advance of the actual ceremony / ritual / event that I was being prepared for.

Long term wise not really other than some things that get me such as I can't eat a lot of red tomatoes any more because of the acid content so I prefer the purple beef steaks or the yellow ones with less acid.

#3 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

I saw this post's title and instantly thought "Hmmm, wonder if there's a link between committing to my Path and my growing distaste for refined sugar?"  Bingo!

Fortunately, I've never had a sweet tooth, so it's no big loss.  But what has me so surprised is that I've always been a cream-and-sugar junkie when it comes to my morning cup 'o joe, with the few attempts through the last decade of trying black coffee making my stomach curdle.  I've suddenly taken to black coffee and am not only astonished at the richness of flavors I've been missing out on all these years that were being masked by the sugar, but also at how nauseating the very thought of drinking it the old way is for me.  I also have been doing a pretty good job this year with avoiding alcohol (new or full moons are difficult for me to get through with a tipple), but when I do indulge, it has to be cocktails with seltzer water or a very tart juice.  Can't do the fruity drinks anymore: they just make me feel ill.  (And from the perspective of ruling out mundane reasons, no I don't have blood sugar or liver issues).

Interesting topic, Wexler: thanks for posting!

#4 Orin

Orin

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Honestly, not really. I get times where i think " Oh i fancy some of that" for a change but i still eat the same diet. Now that i think about it, i actually went off green tea since starting my path. I can't imagine why since that should be doing me some good :P

walkingspider.gif

#5 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Here's the thing about alcohol for me. I still drink and enjoy wine and beer (although I'm off it for now for health reasons). But even a whiff of whiskey or vodka and my entire body will lock up with a full-force gag. If I'm feeling particularly masochistic and manage to stomach some down, my stomach will ache without relief for 24 or so hours. Yet I can get hammered off of beer and suffer none of the same symptoms. I've yet to figure that out.

I remember that Travsha was talking about dieting plants and said that one of the requirements he received was going off of refined sugar.

[avatar source]

#6 Pikkusisko

Pikkusisko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

A year or so ago when I began to start feeling more connected to things I had a massive diet change. I dropped just about everything other than meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and fruit. It wasn't so much that my taste had changed as much as I kept being drawn to this way of eating. I used to eat a low meat diet in the past so I was surprised by my new taste for flesh. The junk food and sugary candy I loved became entirely unappealing quite soon after. I lost something like 12% of my bodyfat in less than a year (I was previously close to obesity) and so my health improved as a result. The thing is I haven't been able to continue this way of eating very well, I fall to the siren spell of sugar, but whenever I feel the draw I revert to that way of eating & all sweet things are the first to go.

Looking back on it, I think removing as many stimulants from your system as possible gives you the ability to recognise their qualities. We take sugar, alcohol, chocolate, coffee and tea for granted now, but our ancestors certainly didn't. With the well being of our bodies being connected to that of our minds it makes sense if they're not both confused by so many stimulants. Also, we consume more sugar now than we ever have done, and with it being linked to decreased immune strength amongst various other health problems it makes sense if you want to be at your best to limit or abstain. We're a tool and at times we need sharpening.

Edit: No idea why this is all white.

Edited by Pikkusisko, 29 September 2014 - 02:35 PM.

'There's rules to this stuff. Wishing an event to be changes elements before and after it. Memories will be destroyed, babies will not be born, potential worlds could be evaporated by your wish.' - Prismo

#7 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

I saw this post's title and instantly thought "Hmmm, wonder if there's a link between committing to my Path and my growing distaste for refined sugar?"  Bingo!

Fortunately, I've never had a sweet tooth, so it's no big loss.  But what has me so surprised is that I've always been a cream-and-sugar junkie when it comes to my morning cup 'o joe, with the few attempts through the last decade of trying black coffee making my stomach curdle.  I've suddenly taken to black coffee and am not only astonished at the richness of flavors I've been missing out on all these years that were being masked by the sugar, but also at how nauseating the very thought of drinking it the old way is for me.  I also have been doing a pretty good job this year with avoiding alcohol (new or full moons are difficult for me to get through with a tipple), but when I do indulge, it has to be cocktails with seltzer water or a very tart juice.  Can't do the fruity drinks anymore: they just make me feel ill.  (And from the perspective of ruling out mundane reasons, no I don't have blood sugar or liver issues).

Interesting topic, Wexler: thanks for posting!

I just realized as I was making my morning coffee that I used to drink a 12oz coffee with two packets of Splenda, which is how I always drank it growing up. It was basically a hot, Splenda-flavored drink. Somewhere along the line I just dropped it to 1 packet, I am afraid I can't go totally black :( Incidentally, have you ever put salt in your coffee? It is a neat trick that I do like to try now and again, although some folks think it's a terrible faux pas. I do still drink my coffee with a lot of heavy cream though, as a vehicle to get more calories in to my day.

[avatar source]

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

As a foodie, my tastes change every damn day. However, I've had a building curiosity towards more foraged and local foods, and as such have explored more of what my local forests have to offer. It's been a lovely change to the palette, and the flavor combos are fantastic! As for taste changes in relation to my path, I can only think of two specific instances: 1. before darker workings, I crave meat. Not just meat, but rare, even bloody meat, as well as fresh vegetables. I also like these rather plain. and 2. I will sometimes crave food favorites of past loved ones, if I am or have been working with them. Not sure if these are psychological or other, or both.

RSKHFMY

#9 Hecolyte

Hecolyte

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

When I have done certain workings, I don't get hungry.. it's as if I'm stuffed. 

#10 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

There are times I eat mostly junk switching to times I'm like a total health freak and back again, and so forth. Haven't been able to discover any logical or understandable pattern in this thusfar, however.

Edited by Horne, 29 September 2014 - 10:46 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#11 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

The thing I find interesting about this thread is not so much the assumed change in diet but the perception of when or how one starts their pathwalk and who holds responsibility, culpability, accountability for their own actions while on it.

It strikes me along the same though process of saying "When I started school, the things I liked or desired to eat changed!"  Yet the reality is probably closer to the notion that our desires and wants didn't change our perspective towards things changed.  We grow and gain enlightenment due to the changes we engage in and the material and lore we take in as we grow in and upon our pathwalk.  The assumption that ones pathwalk is the catalyst that caused them to try something different seems belittling to their pathwalk to me.  It's almost like saying had they not stepped upon a different road they would not have tried something different or come to desire nourishment in a different manner or quality.

As such all the culpability and accountability for the change lies not with the one being changed but with an outside force, perspective, concept or whatever name they wish to pass authority to.  Ones pathwalk doesn't make you take in change or modify the existing things in your life.  The pathwalk simply defines the parameters that the walker has placed upon themselves and any limitations or restrictions they've elected to place or accept in maintaining their culpability, accountability and responsibility for how and why they elected to step upon a given paradyn and allow it to influence their lives.

As I mentioned above I find major workings for me will result in a diet of fruits and nuts.  It would seem a major change except I am aware that desire is also based upon archaic concepts used in Hellenic workings pertaining to purification and shedding of Miasma in the presence of the gods or goddesses.  It is a shift in psychological, sociological, theological and personal norms that are not derived from stepping upon my pathwalk but from how I perceive and elect to hold authority for myself and chose to experience and portray my pathwalk.

To me to say it changed because I started a certain pathway or achieved exposure to certain energies, beliefs, etc suggests I am not walking my path, a pathway of my choosing but am being forced and dragged and blaming it all on someone or something else.  But misses the most basic and fundamental aspect of pathwork, the pathway is laid out before us and we step upon it from the moment of our first breath and move forward under our own authority and determination.  Sadly something I see often held over from Christianity and the implied belief that God pushes you forward and the Devil seeks to cause you to sidestep and change.  For in doing so you are not the one in charge and thus not accountable for what you do or responsible for it.

Even the notion of workings is really not ones pathwalk, it is simply an identifier of how said pathwalk is being defined and the parameters it is walked within.  Granted just my opinion and how I view things so I expect others to agree or disagree as it best suits them.

#12 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:54 AM

Monsnoleedra, what a beautifully-written post.  I applaud the thought and care that went into your words, and concur with the majority of it (please keep that in mind when I offer my small disagreement).

Speaking only for myself, I don't feel "made" to adopt a diet without refined sugar- I simply expressed in my earlier post that I experienced surprise at the certain effects of consuming sugar after years of enjoying the flavor in certain applications.  My impression is that others were equally surprised, but not disappointed by, the healthy change in palate that coincided with starting/fully embracing their Path.

I, for one, feel that there is a substantial difference between the perceived "punishment" leftover from a Judeo-Christian upbringing and the results (positive or negative) that stem from one's actions and subsequent accountability. 

#13 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:39 AM

I like your thoughts Monsno.

What strikes me as interesting is that in some cases for me (such as the hard liquor), I didn't make any choice to give it up. I'd still be over here having a martini a night if it hadn't been for a physiological rejection of it.

[avatar source]

#14 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

But that then raises the question Wexler, did you make the choice but not consciously realize you made it?  I tend to find that being more correct than ones pathwalk changing a person.  That's what I mean the pathwalk didn't make the choice or cause the condition that resulted in the change.  Nor does the pathwalk cause the willingness to adopt the choice to stop drinking, eating, or what ever it is that was modified or given up.  If it's the pathwalk that is being blamed or credited then it suggests the person is unreal and the pathwalk is thinking and acting for the person.  In such a condition the person then has surrendered their individuality and perhaps integrity.  In some ways becoming noting more than an automaton.   

#15 Clemer

Clemer

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:34 AM

I immediately noticed how much more sensitive to alcohol and junk food I became when I started looking into witchcraft and casting spells. I get lightheaded after only two beers when I used to be able to slam back a six-pack in one night, and I've thrown up multiple times from eating fast food. So, yeah, I noticed the same effect.

#16 Celcat

Celcat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

I eat healthier when I'm more spiritually in tune with myself and my surroundings. When I'm lazy with my path then I tend to slip back into poor habits.  I'm pretty sure that for me it's just a psychological switch but it's interesting to hear the experiences of others. 

#17 spiritgypsy

spiritgypsy

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

My diet is not directly related to how spiritually in tune I may be. My diet is a struggle every single day. After having lost 65 pounds about 7 years ago, I find it a struggle to not slide back in to my old eating habits. As age progresses, my weight also tries to creep up there. So I work dilligently at trying to wrangle my overeating instincts. Spirituality does come in to play in this, however. A little bit of spell-work goes a long way to curbing my appetite. Meditation also helps.

#18 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

My digestion has changed since working with the spirits - quite dramatically actually.  My body wants way less food lately, and will get very uncomfortable if I eat the same amount I used to eat even months ago.  I know some people who developed food allergies from their spiritual practice - the spirits didnt want them to eat certain foods, so they make the practitioner get sick as a way of blocking those foods.  In my practice, you make your body a spirit house for certain spirits, and sometimes they dont like certain foods and may make restrictions on how you can eat.  At first it seems annoying, but it's always a food your body was sensitive to in the first place, so really the spirits are helping you (just in a strict way).  Depending on what perspective you decide to take, the situation can either feel like a sacrifice, or like really vivid lifestyle guidance...

#19 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I stopped eating a lot of meat. I'm mostly vegetarian now. Still like the refined sugar....dang.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#20 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

I've returned to eating much more redmeat than I have in the last I don't know how many years.  If I don't have it I crave it.  I function better with it.  I've also found that it's much easier for me to balance my energies when I eat what my body craves.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.