• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

I have had a few people ask me about this since I mentioned it in chat a couple of times.  I learned this in the Spring of 2005 from an old Priestess who was rather vile and rude but full of knowledge.  The events and circumstances leading up to me meeting her and her son spell out quite a tale unto themselves and perhaps I can elaborate on that at another time.  Unfortunately I have gotten lax about practicing this as of late and have lost some bones to my set but I intend to rebuild it and continue, especially after the next hunting season.

What is bone casting?

Many of you are familiar with or practice the use of runes, Tarot, tea reading, entrails, etc. and this is just another similar form of divination or seeing.  You sit in a predetermined location and direction, North, South, East, or West depending on what the circumstances call for...the bones which are kept in a small pouch are tossed onto the ground or altar.  The directions they land and their location within a circle drawn into the dirt represent the answers sought.  

I honestly have never researched its origins but the Priestess learned it from her family who came from Belgium...I guess it's not a wild assumption to think it is Germanic or Celtic in origin.

Choosing a set of bones is entirely your choice, and the association of each bone or bone fragment is customizable.  I have three of each in my pouch and each has an association that is identified by me and only me.

Deer teeth

Deer antler tips

Poultry spurs

Opossum fingers

Shark teeth

Raccoon baculums

Fox vertebrae

For my own purposes I use the following associations with the directions:

North --knowledge, discovery, wisdom, exploration

South --emotions, familial connections, unity, trust

East --awakening, beginnings, spiritual advancement

West --dreaming, goals, travel, endings

When casting while say, facing North (casting to divine from the spirit of knowledge or discovery) and 2/3 or 3/3 of the bone that I associate with the unseen or the hidden (opossum fingers) lands pointing West or within the Western quadrant of the circle (spirit of goals and achievements) I will be able to use this to make a reading. 

There are similar methods of divination such as reading twigs or reading frost but I personally like this one because it has a lot of character because of the animals involved and has a lot of customization involved based on bone choices and their associated meanings.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the witches of the old ways may have even done this with human bones. :cauldron04:

Maybe someone can use this, if anyone wants to add anything that would be great, especially if you know any history of the practice.  I'm always open to other peoples interpretations of this as well.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#2 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:13 AM

Never have been able to read the bones.  People tried to teach me but it was a foreign language I simply could not get a grasp on for some reason.

Have to ask, do you polished bones or raw bones?  Raw bones always felt closer to me than polished, sort of the with crystal / rock with regard to polished / native or raw.

#3 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

I use raw ones, but I guess that's personal preference.  I think the shark teeth were polished but I bought them from a store, I'm not sure really.

#4 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

also, this might be helpful to some people who may want to try using their own bone set

the home page article on retrieving bones from roadkill

http://www.tradition...om-roadkill-r52

#5 Anara

Anara

aspire beyond fear of death (Bhairavi)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

Very interesting post to read, thank you for sharing. I don't have anything to add, other than I do personally know of a system using animal bones. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to expound on it. I will say it is not this one. I don't know if you have done a search yet (I'm terrible with the search function), but there are older threads regarding bone casting that may have information that is useful to you. I believe it was Michelle, that at one point talked about  creating a system using different animal bones that was kind of similar to this, I do believe! I don't know if she is around, but the thread might be an interesting read for you. At any rate, your system is interesting and I like how personalized it can be- which is something I personally like!  +1

I'll also say the human bones I have are not used in divination, although I am sure there are other folks that have/do use them this way! Although there may be an instance where using my human rosary could be useful as a pendulum, for example, it's not necessary. My human bones are for other purposes. :)

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#6 Orin

Orin

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:17 PM

It's funny this post came up today, as i felt like learning more about bone casting. I have some chicken bones i am preparing which are soaking at the moment. Some people bleach theirs to make them whiter, does anyone recommend this? or leave them more in a natural form?

Edited by Orin, 30 September 2014 - 02:29 PM.

walkingspider.gif

#7 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Sure, use hydrogen peroxide to bleach though.  3% takes longer so use 12% or greater (with caution) if you can find any.

#8 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

I have a set of bones that I'm learning. It consists of a snake shed, snake vertebrae, cats eye shell, cowerie shell, bell, snake rib, doll arm, alligator claw, and dice. There's a tooth in it as well. Not sure what kind of animal, though. It seems a little more intuitive for me than tarot.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#9 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for your method Capsicum. I have not read bones, but I'm kind of thinking about trying it (crow bones). It's just that I have done Tarot for so long, that it and I are good trusted friends.

I used regular hydrogen peroxide from the store to clean up the crow bones. After a number of days, depending on the amount of organics on the bones, they are clean and can be dried. They will be more brittle though if left to get real white. The peroxide also kills all organics on the bones that could be dangerous to you. 

#10 Orin

Orin

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

Another form of bone throwing which i find interesting:

http://www.ezakwantu... the CHOKWE.htm

walkingspider.gif

#11 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:00 PM

Another form of bone throwing which i find interesting:

http://www.ezakwantu... the CHOKWE.htm

Very cool, enjoyed the article!

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#12 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:57 AM

I agree, I have a lot of interest in African practices and that is one of them.  I've tried reading them without using the directional/linear system before and haven't had much success but I may continue to try.  It may be possible that part of their methods uses a linear reading as well but it's unclear in the article.  I find it interesting that they are using the power of an ancestor's spirit to do the divination rather than the collective power of the bones themselves like I do.  Whoever was able to procure this information was very lucky, most tahis are very shy about sharing information about their craft with their own people, much less an outsider.

#13 Orin

Orin

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, their ancestors are a very important part of their craft and always have a strong connection with them. I'd love to learn this type of divination but it's hard to learn from books by yourself it's better to have someone to teach you.

walkingspider.gif

#14 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

Bump

RSKHFMY