19 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

I have noticed that I use my breath a great deal to work with energy. If I can't breathe properly (if I was laying on my stomach for example) it is difficult for me to work with energy.

This is interesting to me because I have only recently started using breathing as a tool at all, but now it seems I can't go without it. I have also found that singing is an effective way for me to get some things done. Do you think the two are related? I'm not sure, but it does seem to me that carrying energy on your breath and through your words are pretty similar.

Does anyone else use breathing as a tool?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Wexler, yes I use breathing as a tool everytime I do spells or rituals! For me breathing very deep and holding it for a bit produces alot of energy and my spells or any kind of working becomes more powerful and successful. Singing can send energy out to the world by it's vibrations it sends out. Also when you sing you are using your breath in many different ways so yes they both work together and can be very effective.                                                                                  Hawkwind :cool_witch:

#3 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

I am kind of struggling today to get my words out in a coherent manner so I hope this makes sense.

To me the breath is a very important tool. We can go for days without food and water but we cannot go minutes without breathing. It is one of the most essential elements for our existence. For me this means the breath is a great source of vital energy in and of itself.

Breathing is a process of intake, transformation then release so it lends itself to be used for energy work. Its a cyclical process with a rhythm that can help us connect to other rhythms outside of ourselves. It also a process that's very easy to take conscious control of and in turn it can have a great affect on our consciousness and can lead to the states of mind that are good for our work.

Breathing also connects us directly to our environment and the atmosphere at large. what we expel through our breath, including energy and intent, immediately becomes a part of our environment.

I think it is no mistake that the word Qi (chi), the concept of lifeforce and energy, can be translated as "breath".

Edited by Gyreleaf, 25 September 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#4 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

Breathing sometimes helps me focus my attention when doing energy work.  If I am trying to move or direct energy, I often use my breathe to help me focus - I dont think I need to use it, it is more of a mental thing.

I sing in my ceremony all the time - singing is my most used ritual tool.  I dont really think they are related in the way you are asking about - they work very differently.  I can summon a spirit with a song, but I dont know how to do that with my breathe.  I will use breathe to help me move prana/chi, but dont know how to do it the same way with a song.  Of course - songs use breathe, so they are connected in some ways, just not interchangeably all the time.  

#5 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

I tried yoga for the first time early this year.  I used a fairly vanilla video from Youtube as my guide, which had no mention of chakras or mystical spiritualism.  

What I found after the sessions, however, is that my chest/diaphragm felt considerably looser and relaxed.  Looking back, perhaps not coincidentally I also found myself able to raise power more easily and effectively during the time that I practiced yoga regularly.

Good topic, Wex.  I'm looking forward to everyone's responses as much as I am the process of personally investigating the idea a bit more.  ;)

#6 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

I think breath is very important, as it keeps you alive from the very first inbreath once you are born, until your very last outbreath (no matter what you do or don't in between and how long your life-span), and then your earthly life is over. It's an involuntary process as well, you don't choose to breathe, and sure, you can hold your breath for a while, but only for a short amount of time. 

As an admirer of Germanic mythology, I always associate breath with Odin, who gave to mankind the gift of Ond (which translates as "breath" or "spirit"), and is mostly considered to be the animating force that drives us. Another Odinic association with breath is that he is among the Aesir, deriving from the Proto-Indo-European root *ansu meaning both "breath" and "god". Funny detail is that a Dutch word for breath, "asem" is also related to that.

Breathing, you take in, and you give out, (as I see it) receiving from the world and giving back to the world, and in my opinion conscious deep breathing is among the most empowering things I've ever done in my life. Thinking about singing (or talking) now, what occurs to me is that we naturally tend to do it breathing out exclusively, we literally give voice to what we give back to the world so to speak. 

Thanks for starting this topic Wexler, it's nice to have breath to ponder consciously once again. 

Edited by Horne, 25 September 2014 - 09:00 PM.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#7 Orin

Orin

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Breathing helps me relax into a deeper meditation and also helps me focus during spell work. Sometimes i use my breath as a way to give life to a spell or a poppet for example. I think good breathing technique improves many things you do in life not just your craft!

I never thought of singing to get shit done! That's a great idea :)

Some lovely thoughts guys~

walkingspider.gif

#8 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:11 PM

Yes, I use breath and breathing in controlled ways. Breath is a form of 'wind', but with the addition of one's breath being infused with will. Since the wind 'carries' things, so does one's breath, and the breath (and the blood) is the life.

Breath and breathing are very important for many things in many disciplines, ie. Chi Kung (breath work, but works along with the blood and blood flow), power generation in Kung Fu (and other martial arts), controlling states of the mind and emotions (to calm or agitate), putting one into meditation and or trance, etc.

One cannot utter words without breath being expelled. I think the thought/desire/will, along with the breath is quite important. Breath can literally make a spell come alive, same with a poppet. 

#9 foxglove143

foxglove143

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

I agree that breath is important, especially singing as a part of your ritual/casting. The way I look at it with singing is, notice how different songs make you feel intense emotions, and certain words can describe a feeling, but sometimes the word itself makes the emotion behind it more amplified. For instance, someone asks if you would like green beans with your meal, and you say "oh no, I hate green beans!" That sentence doesn't hold strong emotion, or the kind of hate for the object that will harm you seriously. Then take this example, your husband cheated on you, and you are seeking some sort of payback, and you say "oh how I HATE him!!!" That time, the emotional word has tons of intent, and raw emotion.

In the same way that believing or vocally expressing your feelings amplify the outcome of your future and present state of mind when thinking of the aforementioned husband (extreme dislike, distate, hate), that truth and feeling will carry over into song as well. The same way certain songs from your past will lift your heart, make you remember a great love, or fill you with sadness. I feel like different songs have different meanings to people, and the message you gathered, and whatever emotions come out is a spell in itself. I can only conclude that it would amplify your meaning, attachment and emotional energy in your spells.

Same thing for breathing. If you want to be calm and focused, steady breathing. To relax and somewhat loosen your mind, deep inhales and slow exhales. As far as any other breath techniques go, let me know what you find, I am working on that exact thing myself!

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

To me the breath is a very important tool. We can go for days without food and water but we cannot go minutes without breathing. It is one of the most essential elements for our existence. For me this means the breath is a great source of vital energy in and of itself.

I think it is no mistake that the word Qi (chi), the concept of lifeforce and energy, can be translated as "breath".

I agree with this very much. I often think of breath as also carrying my "signature" if that makes sense, and if I am doing a darker working I will try not to breath upon it unless I am using breathe to send it off.

RSKHFMY

#11 hawkwind

hawkwind

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Foxglove143, well put music to me is one of the greatest forms of expression! I am a musician and songwriter my main thing is guitar and I use it in alot of my working to send certain emotions and power into some spells. Also I use it to get into a trance to retrieve information.

#12 foxglove143

foxglove143

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hawkwind, I wish I was more instrumentally talented! I love that you use your guitar to add power to your spells. When I am casting, I always tend to turn a chant into a song, and like you said your guitar puts you in a trance, the same happens when I "sing".

#13 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

I may be weird I suppose but I take no musical instruments or such when I do any workings.  I always find there is already a music in the air that corresponds to the workings to be done and if I listen to the wind, the tree, the land itself I find the music and beat that needs to be done.  Then the instrument makes its self known, a pair of sticks that become drum sticks, some object that agree's to be the drumming surface even if its only ones leg.  The call of a bird that rises and falls with the sensations of your workings and takes you on a flight.

For me I find that to much humanity and its noise is injected in peoples workings.  I suppose that is one reason I tend to work alone so I hear what the spirits, nature and the magic itself is singing and saying.

Breathing wise I suppose I use the super body image and not the lung image.  Breath in through your bare feet and pull the breath of the earth into you and feel it rise up your limbs.  Pull the air in through the nose and exhail through the mouth.  Yet also breath in through the exposed hands and arms as wind and temperature kiss the skin and the body shivers and shakes to the hidden beat and song and tries to make the body sing with the beat of earth and air.  To pull in the scent of fire and its song through the lungs, through the skin.

Then to go down into the self where you breath through the whole of your body, your lips hang sort of loosely and the mouth sort of falls open.  You no longer feel the breath in the throat or mouth but from that place that is deep inside and feels more like its coming from the depths of your chest and the whole body expands and contracts about it with each movement.  To make your whole body the instrument that plays the song and sings the tunes and picks up each strand from which ever element and the form of your voice changes from something human to something that holds everything and nothing all at once. 

Edited by monsnoleedra, 26 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#14 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

I like Gyreleaf's point about rhythm. Aligning a breath cycle to a rhythmic energy action has been proven to be very effective for me. It helps me keep things balanced and flowing.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#15 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

Bump

RSKHFMY

#16 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

How timely, the idea of breath has been on my mind a lot lately, to the point where I’m starting voice lessons tomorrow. I usually hate breathing exercises while working or meditating, after a few minutes they feel almost grating to me. Like a lot of other people here, I’m a musician, but I’ve been a classical strings girl my entire life. So, voice lessons felt like the right way to get back into music, learn better breath control, and be able to bring my breath, music, and voice into my craft.

#17 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:52 AM

How exciting. I took roughly 10 years of vocal lessons. Few teachers will tell you this, but sit ups are a great way to help with breathing, any exercise that targets your ab muscles really. One of these days, I am going to get past the whole "I am to old to start," and take violin lessons. The sound of a violin is like ecstasy for me. 

There are so many ways to use your breath and different breathing techniques. For something we do thousands of times a day, it is easy to forget we can get quite creative with our breathing. I didn't think about this until just now, but I think staccato breathing or breathing to the rhythm of a song as if it was a drum could build a lot of energy.

#18 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

Staccato breathing or the rapid breathing to keep up to the beat of a song can build energy, it also removes carbon dioxide from the blood (because you're breathing out more than your body is producing this waste, the balance is upset) and can have some wild head swimming effects, tingling in the hands and feet, which may also be useful for a working, but one should be careful if they're doing this. It can cause hyperventilation, a person may become so lightheaded they feint. If one wants to induce it in themselves, or use these sort of breathing techniques in a working, they should probably do so sitting down and without anything too sharp or pointy nearby.

If you're prone to seizures I would definitely avoid this all together.

#19 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

Good point! My thinking was limited to very short spurts but I didn't specify that, which I should have. I was completely unaware that it was something to be avoided for people with seizures.

#20 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yes yes yes! Breath is crucial in my craft. If i can't breathe properly everything suffers. I cleanse myself with breaths and even activate sigils with them too. I also use my exhalation to influence others and have achieved satisfying results.