Wexler

Is there anything you don't like about witchcraft?

The same thing I dislike about life.
There is no instruction manual, no helpdesk, and not even a magical answer to everything.

But to be fair, I don't really wish there was. I just get lost in my own curiosity sometimes because there is so much to learn. And I think that's amazing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's not always an easy mix with mundane life, or other people, if they are not of like mind.

Edited by phantasmagoria

Sometimes I make a discovery that makes me very excited, I'm bursting to tell someone but who?  My Grimoire, I guess!

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of how I don’t know if my little intuitive insights about magick are “real” or “true” until I experiment. Especially when the experimental magick by its own very nature will take a long time before results fully yield themselves. I’d like some instant gratification with a side of validating reassurance please.

but of course this isn’t stopping me or truly getting in my way so can I really complain?

Maybe that moment where I've been trying a new technique for ages and you think 'Jeez Louise, I must be doing this wrong'. I'm almost ready to pack in whatever it is (that exact moment) - but then, all of a sudden, it clicks. I'm not too unfond of that moment now because it often happens for me just before it all slots into place.

And the disruption as others mentioned.

I do want to say I feel people need to be careful they're not condemning other practices. Solanaceae has some very important points.

For a start, from a general perspective, people do eat meat, some people have to eat meat for medical reasons because they don't ingest the necessary nutrients (like iron) from plant based materials. Plant iron has a different accessibility to the iron found in meat. Some people also have issues without some of the essential fatty acids found in animal produce or struggle to access enough thiamine. Many people can be vegan or vegetarian, but not all.

From a magical perspective, when animals are sacrificed it's not done lightly. As already mentioned, these animals are sometimes eaten. Unless someone is within that tradition, they shouldn't really be commenting on whether or not it's right to do across all witchcraft and worldly practice. Obviously, you can state it's not something you'd personally do, but I don't think it's right to start bashing long standing spiritual practices. Equally, if we believe plants have spirits, most of us use plants as an offering at some point.

There are many reasons to use blood. I use blood quite a bit, usually my own and sometimes menstrual depending on what it's for, what the aim is and so on. Personally, I don't sacrifice (or eat) animals, but I do understand why they are used. Yes, our blood can create a connection to whatever it's used on, so we should be careful around it in some ways, but that connection can be a positive thing. For example, offering a tree your blood can help you bond and create a connection with that tree spirit. I also use it in some Ancestor work among other things. It's important to remember that animal sacrifice is not simply practised for tradition. One of the needs to be cautious is that many of the Western narratives around many other cultural practices, like Yoruba traditions, have been unfairly negative and rooted in racism and any members of the forum who may be part of a tradition who practice animal sacrifice shouldn't be made to feel cruel or less than others for doing so - because that simply isn't true at all.

Anyway, back to the original post topic, some of the insights can be a bit much to deal with at first for me.  When I calm down and think them over, they came at the right time and are important, but sometimes that initial shock or revelation can feel a bit overwhelming. I am a secret wimp, obviously. 😉