Wexler

Is there anything you don't like about witchcraft?

Mirror, mirror on the wall

No time to answer all who call;

Tradition, culture, time or place

It's time to choose your own true face.

Who are those you hold most dear?

What would you lose? What do you fear?

What need first called you to this place?

And will it last through time and space?

The future is as known to none

Unless you change what will become;

Isa white or blue Laguz

It's up to you which one you choose.

...and the choice, you know, was always yours....

It's time, my love, to work some magic....

Take back what was always yours to keep or yours to give away....  

So said the willow, and the ivy. They seem to be in agreement, lol. So Laguz it will be

M

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I get frustrated with the addiction to tradition for its own sake. Odd thing to say on here, I don't mean things that work or fundamentals, I mean doing something merely because it is tradition (or thought to be). That goes for plenty of the paraphernalia, clothes etc. as well. For me a witch should look like anyone else (with practical exceptions of course) and be prepared to use new tools and materials. Or am I just odd?

I agree with what you are saying here. If somebody knows why they are doing something and that something works then that's great. However if the only justification for a practise is "tradition" or "It''s always been done this way" then that's just laziness. There's no point in using something unless you have a specific purpose for doing so and you understand what that purpose is.

• Like 1

I love a new book and a good book, but when it comes to craft I hate having to grudge through the first few chapters (sometimes the whole book!) To get to a decent part or new concept. Why can't I just hold the book and it melt into my fingertips?! Oh the search must go on...

• Like 1

The fear, and the being forced to work through the fear for your own good.

But on the flip side, what I love is coming through the other side of that fear, and feeling that much stronger.

• Like 2

I have a lot of doubts sometimes and doubt is the quickest way to disarm a witch, I suppose. It as others have alluded to, working through those doubts and fears are part of the whole deal, and as difficult as it is, I'm thankful for the progress I've made so far. Sure would've been an easier path to just stay "normal" and try to fit into society's prescribed box for me, never questioning if there might be more to myself and the universe.

I've also got a lot at stake (no pun intended) if anyone from my work or family figured out that I practice. But that's not witchcraft's fault. While the aspect of secrecy can add to the potency of the craft, it certainly doesn't help with the anxiety.

Also: I wish that my particular brand of witchcraft had more direct sources (texts, traditions passed down directly, etc) but thanks to Christendom, that's also a pipe dream. The end result is a lot of modern speculation, a mixed up cultural soup of traditions, and a lot of grey area. And of course the white supremacists that have muddied up things along the way. I rely on my ancestral communication to fill in the gaps, but that comes with its own mixed bag.

The juice is worth the squeeze though

I also want to add: timing. I'm currently working full time and taking a double-full time class load at school. Guess what period of my life my spirits have decided is the perfect time to ramp up their own lessons for me?

It's not so much any dislike or pet peeves in witchcraft itself that I may have but rather the people (drama, one twue-ism, etc).  I'm including myself in this group too lol.  It's parts of myself I dislike (doubts, fears, my own selfishness that I have to keep under control, yadda yadda.)  I consider myself so flighty and scattered sometimes that I get in my own way towards progression.  I have a lot to learn and much practicing to do as well.  I also wish I can absorb knowledge by osmosis haha!

There is something that I have a love/hate relationship with witchcraft though.  I love the fact that magic is neutral.  It is neither good nor bad.  I love that I can use it to heal or bring fortune to myself or others if I desire it.  I also love that I can use it to exact justice or good ole vengeance/revenge on someone who has caused me or my loved ones harm.  But on that same note, I dislike that it can be used by malicious people to harm others for sadistic pleasure or out of spiteful envy etc.

I also want to add: timing. I'm currently working full time and taking a double-full time class load at school. Guess what period of my life my spirits have decided is the perfect time to ramp up their own lessons for me?

Isn't that just the way of it?

I want to try more but I have no mentors. I do not know what is dangerous and what isnt. I want to call up a spirit guide but dont know how and am frankly afraid. I tried it once by burning yule but nothing happened. I dont think my heart was in it. I tried though.

Its just so...wild and that is exactly what I like about it but its also what frustrates me. I dont want to tame it....I just want to know enough to run with it freely.

Edited by Lilu

So far there is nothing that concerns me about the craft except for 1. The more you use it, the more powerful your thoughts become, the more DISCIPLINED you must be with your thoughts and emotions. Things could be going great but if you let one thing let you spiral into panic, it's a continuous shit storm until you correct yourself. So the saying "check yourself before you wreck yourself" is paramount. Because I'm super sympathetic and a bit empathic, that means I can't afford to be around a lot of people that I like because their perspective influences me. The best way to combat this is walking into every situation with awareness and a goal. That way you don't get side tracked. You need a healthy sense of ego and yet also a a healthy sense of soul. If you fall into the trap of getting stuck in your ego while achieving your goals you will start making detrimental decisions. If you don't have a big enough ego, you will get side tracked by other people's emotions and intentions.

Also within the craft, it does concern me that there seems to be no accountability amongst some (not all) whether the level of curse are really warranted. Some people just like to overkill things and that's not cool.

Something that makes me want to roll my eyes a bit now are people who stay light and fluffy with the "law of vibration". They stay fluffy bunny, won't challenge the establishment and do a lot of witchy stuff but don't want to be associated with witches. It's less about people on YouTube and more about people who claim all witchcraft is evil and yet go to a "prosperity church" where God and Jesus are like genies.

• Like 1

I want to try more but I have no mentors. I do not know what is dangerous and what isnt. I want to call up a spirit guide but dont know how and am frankly afraid. I tried it once by burning yule but nothing happened. I dont think my heart was in it. I tried though.

Its just so...wild and that is exactly what I like about it but its also what frustrates me. I dont want to tame it....I just want to know enough to run with it freely.

Meditate with amysthyst. Or place it on your forehead. I can't guarantee your will hear your guide but you will make more intuitive decisions.

I have a lot of doubts sometimes and doubt is the quickest way to disarm a witch, I suppose. It as others have alluded to, working through those doubts and fears are part of the whole deal, and as difficult as it is, I'm thankful for the progress I've made so far. Sure would've been an easier path to just stay "normal" and try to fit into society's prescribed box for me, never questioning if there might be more to myself and the universe.

I've also got a lot at stake (no pun intended) if anyone from my work or family figured out that I practice. But that's not witchcraft's fault. While the aspect of secrecy can add to the potency of the craft, it certainly doesn't help with the anxiety.

Also: I wish that my particular brand of witchcraft had more direct sources (texts, traditions passed down directly, etc) but thanks to Christendom, that's also a pipe dream. The end result is a lot of modern speculation, a mixed up cultural soup of traditions, and a lot of grey area. And of course the white supremacists that have muddied up things along the way. I rely on my ancestral communication to fill in the gaps, but that comes with its own mixed bag.

The juice is worth the squeeze though

You can't have any conflicts in your work. You don't need to overcome doubt, you just need to stop entertaining it. Stop wondering if it will work and JUST focus on what you want.

_________

I view it differently. Eating is for survival and a has to be (vegans eat plants, same thing, different kingdom). Sacrificing an animal is not necessary imo. As you say Anara, there are other ways to accomplish what is needed.

Yes. People who sacrificed chickens I believe do it out of tradition (like santeria). Realizing the part you play as a meat eater or even just a dairy/ egg/ honey eater is a good thing. I don't do animal sacrifice but when I can afford to I try to buy organic and grassfed because I do love animals. The animal on your plate is a mundane sacrifice for your body. But you did not love the animal so it was not a spiritual offering/sacrifice. There are better sacrifices (your time, your money, helping an organization, some people offer blood but I don't feel good about that At this moment because blood is bonding.) A sacrifice is exactly that, a sacrifice. Animals on the market have way less emotional and economic value than they did in antiquity.

It's better to give offerings of fruit veg or just do pleasing works. If you want cleansing you can use a refrigerated egg. No need for slaughter.

Yes. People who sacrificed chickens I believe do it out of tradition (like santeria). Realizing the part you play as a meat eater or even just a dairy/ egg/ honey eater is a good thing. I don't do animal sacrifice but when I can afford to I try to buy organic and grassfed because I do love animals. The animal on your plate is a mundane sacrifice for your body. But you did not love the animal so it was not a spiritual offering/sacrifice. There are better sacrifices (your time, your money, helping an organization, some people offer blood but I don't feel good about that At this moment because blood is bonding.) A sacrifice is exactly that, a sacrifice. Animals on the market have way less emotional and economic value than they did in antiquity.

It's better to give offerings of fruit veg or just do pleasing works. If you want cleansing you can use a refrigerated egg. No need for slaughter.

There is just so much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin.

Perhaps it is just the way you worded it,  it is sometimes difficult to get things across the way you intended it in this medium.

Let me start by saying I am a vegetarian by choice,  but I do not judge how others want to practice or live.

- Many people still raise their own animals. Some even give them names and care for them. To those people the sacrifice is not mundane and those animals have emotional value to them.

From what I have seen, many people who use animal sacrifice in their practice are these same people who raise there own animals and care for them.

They will often even consume the animal and use the parts so it doesn't go to waste.

This then becomes a spiritual and emotional sacrifice, and one that nourishes the body.

If it is already to be a 'mundane sacrifice for the body', why not make it a spiritual sacrifice as well sometimes? 

Do you see anything wrong with that?

- It is perhaps true that animals on the market have less emotional and economic value then before, but it should not be that way.

We as humans should think about what we put into our bodies, and what it has to go through before it gets to our plate.

As witches, aren't we supposed to have a connection with the earth, the land and the things that grow and crawl upon it?

-I am fairly sure that most magick users know that a 'refrigerated egg'  from the grocery store will do in a pinch,  but not pack anywhere near the punch of a fresh egg that you harvested yourself from a black hen?

- Just do 'pleasing works'?  I am sorry, do you mean that how it sounds?

I think you may find that many of people here do not enjoy being preached at about what is or is not  good or bad workings, or what we should or should not do.

We are all adults here, and if we are willing to go that rout, you can bet that we are ready and willing to deal with the consequences. 

Edited by Solanaceae
  • Upvote 1

In answer to the original question - Is there anything that I don't like about witchcraft?

For me there were a couple of things that frustrated me about the craft and one still continues to do so, but I wouldn't say that I don't like it about the craft because it's not really the fault of the craft. The first was actually finding my way. What I mean by that is there are so many branches of the craft and so many area's to study, for a long time I didn't know whether I was coming or going. I was always questioning myself, asking myself if I was doing this right or this wrong, was this really traditional or not. It took me a long, long time to realise that there are many traditions and most of the information about them has been lost. Those traditions were created by people like me. So what is wrong with trusting in what I do and doing what I feel is right rather than attempting to copy someone else's way of doing things.  

It's my tradition in it's infancy. These days I take what I have learnt, I may fish for ideas to try but if they don't sit well then they are binned. I guess what I am trying to say is that a lot of emotional stress has been released by accepting myself. Small changes in thought can have a huge impact. So finding out what witchcraft is to me was a frustrating journey which I would rather have skipped.

The other thing that I have found which is frustrating is other peoples understanding of witchcraft. I am very open about my craft because that is exactly how I see it, a craft and not witchcraft per sae, and also, I really don't see and talk to that many people.. I don't like the word witch so I never use it. When people find out that a study the craft the first thing they ask is am I wiccan or a white witch (yes it is annoying.) The next thing they say is that I am pagan. Nope wrong again. So it pisses me off that I am instantly labelled, and I have actually argued with old friends over this as if they know what I practice. I guess I get frustrated at the preconceived misconceptions about what I do.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, LilyLaments said:

There is something that I have a love/hate relationship with witchcraft though.  I love the fact that magic is neutral.  It is neither good nor bad.  I love that I can use it to heal or bring fortune to myself or others if I desire it.  I also love that I can use it to exact justice or good ole vengeance/revenge on someone who has caused me or my loved ones harm.

But on that same note, I dislike that it can be used by malicious people to harm others for sadistic pleasure or out of spiteful envy etc.

Ditto what you said for me too ... Especially the last line. .If I have any fear about the craft at all it is that I know some of the evildoers I need to send some justice to could be better/stronger/more knowledgeable at witchcraft then me and harm us worse then they already have! I , of course, am going to do all I can to not let that happen.

Edited by Homeschoolie

On 10/26/2014 at 11:53 AM, thehoodedman said:

I get frustrated with the addiction to tradition for its own sake. Odd thing to say on here, I don't mean things that work or fundamentals, I mean doing something merely because it is tradition (or thought to be). That goes for plenty of the paraphernalia, clothes etc. as well. For me a witch should look like anyone else (with practical exceptions of course) and be prepared to use new tools and materials. Or am I just odd?

I get so sick of people/non-witches etc assuming that because someone is 'Gothic looking' then they are a Witch!! Again, it feeds this over-imaginative assumption that all Witches MUST look a certain way.

That's the only thing about being a Witch that ticks me off.

But Witchcraft as a whole - it's my life so apart from the above, no.... x

• Like 1