Wexler

Is there anything you don't like about witchcraft?

I feel it is safe to say that most people on this forum highly approve of witchcraft as a whole. But does anyone have pet peeves about some things?

Not just authors, fluffies, or celebrities that get on your nerves. But rather, the Path itself.

Is there anything you do not like about it?

If this question is directed at us who believe this is our way of life, then I don't think there would be anything to say to this regard.

Ask the die hard jewish man what he doesn't like about his religion, and he would say he likes all of it.

There is nothing about the path I don't like. I might not like various things in the path of others, but each to their own.

For me, I don't have a problem with breathing air or to eat a good meal, or to bask in the sunlight, or to feel the breeze past my cheek. It's all natural, the same as witchcraft.

But it would be nice if there were more witches around because I love getting together with a group and doing some'n.

Oh sure, the fact of being confronted with issues, urges, appearances and what I've come to call "interesting times" when I just want some peace and quiet or want to do some "normal" stuff around the house. Like last week when I wanted to simply read or do some ironing and then all of a sudden the indeniable urge came up to visit a local cemetery because I felt a certain statue there would have a message for me. There was a maddening rainstorm outside, yet the urge indicated clearly I had to go on foot and immediately as well. Did I like it? Hell no! But was it worth the trip? Very much so! LOL :wink: 

I hate incense.

Seriously.  Just stop it.  I love burning herbs, but incense is the equivalent of corner store purfume.  In every store I go to, even the non-pagan ones that sell it.  It makes you smell like people-of-walmart and it just needs to stop.

Personal pet peeve: the general assumption I like cats because I'm "a witch."

I guess generally I dislike all the pre-conceived notions that other pagans have when they meet me.  Don't assume, just ask.

I hate being Called to be a Hollow Bone.  Yeah, it's an Honor, but it really and truly SUX!  Big time.  Yes, it does.

I hate that the craft isn't really integrated with my community. So then the city does something like dig up the river bed, without asking or apologizing, or a neighbor decides that an entire grove of trees has to go, and I am the one who winds up with migraines and angry spirits yelling,"Hey! Witch! What the everloving fuck!" And I can't take my body over to do the propitiations, on account of trespassing females get arrested, so have to go raw, which is inconvenient. Not least because it doesn't really work that well as obviously the perpetrators aren't actually sorry, and rivers aren't dumb.

Thanks for the venting opportunity.

I echo Home's sentiment.  I get a little resentful sometimes over how disruptive witchcraft can be, which is simply an extension of my curmudgeonly attitude towards mundane life interference as well.

What's interesting, however, is that witchcraft is pushing me to be more disciplined in all aspects of my life.  Because it keeps me on my toes, I've been transitioning to managing my life in a "be up for anything" mode for a little while now.  It isn't quite the same as "be prepared for anything"- that's a good way for me to pigeonhole myself into a rather small box of expectations- but rather to be open to experiencing anything the magical or mundane worlds can throw at me.

Whoops, this was supposed to be a rant and turned all gushy about the craft.  Now that I think about it, I've reaped so much good stuff from the things about it I once found annoying, it's difficult to pinpoint aspects that still stick in my craw.

• Upvote 1

There isn't much i dislike about the craft. Maybe the difficulty of finding witchy friends and ignorant idiots who assume anyone who practices the craft or paganism is a devil-worshiping, animal-sacrificing, baby-eating nutter.

• Like 2

I feel it is safe to say that most people on this forum highly approve of witchcraft as a whole. But does anyone have pet peeves about some things?

Not just authors, fluffies, or celebrities that get on your nerves. But rather, the Path itself.

Is there anything you do not like about it?

_______

Animal sacrifice does not appeal to me, nor would I do it.

• Like 1

Guest monsnoleedra

In truth I can't say "Witchcraft" has anything I don't like mostly because I can't define witchcraft to be based upon a skill set or actions.  I died in my youth to make me what I am today, was that witchcraft?  Some might say yes some might say no.  Far to often it seems we identify things and call them "The Craft", "Folk Lore or Practice" or a thousand other things but is it really witchcraft?  I know what is passed today and the naming of it is a far cry from what my elders used and taught me and what was taught to them by their elders. 

If I had to find something wrong it would be to much Hollywood hype as to what "The Craft", "The Calling", "The Gift", etc actually is and what makes a person a "Witch" or whatever name they go by.  Couple that to there being to much Wiccaness injected into things today that are supposed to be witchcraft.  As much today as the dark arts and supposed satanic stuff that was pushed in the 70's and 80's to be a real witch.  Yet the web, books, grimores, Books of Shadow, Books of Spells, etc all have pages upon pages of correlations of colors, scents, materials, etc that are supposed to be witchy and derived from archaic practices.  Derived from practices created or utilized by people who mostly couldn't read or write much less have any sort of recorded guidance.  But get passed into today's media and blindly accepted as fact and recited over and over, though seldom can the reciter actually tell you why or what for. 

No the one thing that truly irks me about witchcraft is that it has gotten to the point where spells and their usage mark a witch more than being a witch or a practitioner of hidden knowledge. 

Craft, no.

Path, yes... either the information is nonexistent or this student isn't quite ready for her teacher (?) which irks me after a lifetime of being self-taught and self-reliant. So, I wait...That's my problem, atm. I wonder if it's a common one. 

Edited by Nikki

Guest monsnoleedra

Craft, no.

Path, yes... either the information is nonexistent or this student isn't quite ready for her teacher (?) which irks me after a lifetime of being self-taught and self-reliant. So, I wait...That's my problem, atm. I wonder if it's a common one. 

Its ironic I suppose but I found more often the student was not ready or willing to recognize the teacher who came to them.  A lot of them set in their mind that a teacher has to be human.

• Upvote 1

Its ironic I suppose but I found more often the student was not ready or willing to recognize the teacher who came to them.  A lot of them set in their mind that a teacher has to be human.

So true. The way I see it, if the teacher is there -- then they aren't ready for whatever reason... which is ok. All things in time. The teacher being present might mean the time is close at hand?... a good time to prepare?

Also, you know me well enough, MonSno...a human teacher is not required :smile: but a valid point, nonetheless. Teachers come in all forms.  

Edited by Nikki

Guest monsnoleedra

So true. The way I see it, if the teacher is there -- then they aren't ready for whatever reason... which is ok. All things in time. The teacher being present might mean the time is close at hand?... a good time to prepare?

Also, you know me well enough, MonSno...a human teacher is not required :smile: but a valid point, nonetheless. Teachers come in all forms.  

Yep I think I've gotten to know you quite a bit in our talks and such.  Definitely agree you see and understand teachers come in many forms, shapes and species.

You do bring up a valid point, the teacher is present but the person for some reason is not ready.  That I think many times also ties into the presumption on the students part of what the next lesson to be learnt is.  I recall once in the military where it seemed a certain subject was constantly in my face and I was certain that had to be my next subject.  Yet the reality was something entirely different and the lesson became brutal because I couldn't see it for seeing what I though it should be.

I suppose that is something I dislike about the pathway when I think about it.  Clarity and delivery of purpose / lesson is seldom clear and direct for the most part.  So the road map often looks more like a child's scribblings than a laid out course of instruction. 

_______

Animal sacrifice does not appeal to me, nor would I do it.

I was witness to some of this over the summer and hated it. But, I also blushed at my own hypocrisy. It was a bit embarrassing to witness the sacrifice of a rooster (for very good reason, though I felt it was unnecessary) and hurl insults to the one doing the deed, while I was eating a plate full of chicken. The person stopped...looked at my plate of chicken, looked up at me, back down at my chicken...and rolled his eyes..and asked if I knew much about the meat industry....or if I knew what I was eating...lol

yeah....that happened. Talk about embarrassing.

Learned something valuable that day, though.

Still, though.....hate the thought of animal sacrifice. I still feel there are other valid ways to accomplish a thing. However, I now keep my mouth shut because I am a meat eater...lol. I suppose it is more of an honor for a rooster to go that way if it has to, then to just end up on my plate.

I don't like the cliqueishness and quibbling.  That is more a critique of witch culture than the practices itself. 

Witchcraft can either be a disciline that calls you to focus on what is really important, or a distraction that encourages the burying of self in petty material drama.  That choice s of course up to the witch, and whether or not they are "doing it right".  So many people choose the path of drama and stupidity over the path of power and self mastery, and then indiscriminately or unconsciously fling it at anyone within flinging distance.

Ugh.

That is why I keep the specifics of my own beliefs and practices under my pointy, wide-brimmed hat.

• Upvote 1

I don't like the cliqueishness and quibbling.  That is more a critique of witch culture than the practices itself. 

Witchcraft can either be a disciline that calls you to focus on what is really important, or a distraction that encourages the burying of self in petty material drama.  That choice s of course up to the witch, and whether or not they are "doing it right".  So many people choose the path of drama and stupidity over the path of power and self mastery, and then indiscriminately or unconsciously fling it at anyone within flinging distance.

Ugh.

I agree with you, Broomflower. +1

• Like 2

I was witness to some of this over the summer and hated it. But, I also blushed at my own hypocrisy. It was a bit embarrassing to witness the sacrifice of a rooster (for very good reason, though I felt it was unnecessary) and hurl insults to the one doing the deed, while I was eating a plate full of chicken. The person stopped...looked at my plate of chicken, looked up at me, back down at my chicken...and rolled his eyes..and asked if I knew much about the meat industry....or if I knew what I was eating...lol

yeah....that happened. Talk about embarrassing.

Learned something valuable that day, though.

Still, though.....hate the thought of animal sacrifice. I still feel there are other valid ways to accomplish a thing. However, I now keep my mouth shut because I am a meat eater...lol. I suppose it is more of an honor for a rooster to go that way if it has to, then to just end up on my plate.

_________

I view it differently. Eating is for survival and a has to be (vegans eat plants, same thing, different kingdom). Sacrificing an animal is not necessary imo. As you say Anara, there are other ways to accomplish what is needed.

• Upvote 1

I get frustrated with the addiction to tradition for its own sake. Odd thing to say on here, I don't mean things that work or fundamentals, I mean doing something merely because it is tradition (or thought to be). That goes for plenty of the paraphernalia, clothes etc. as well. For me a witch should look like anyone else (with practical exceptions of course) and be prepared to use new tools and materials. Or am I just odd?

Interesting concept, but perhaps not as odd as you think.  If it's familial and consider it part of your upbringing and it's important as a part of heritage or whatever, (for example from other paths, Hasidim, Amish, Mennonites, Hindu, etc.) that is one thing, but confusing "style" with "tradition" is another story altogether.  For example, I might look a little witchy, but really I take most of my clothing styles from my lifestyle in heavy metal and also mixed with the biker style.  I wear a lot of military camouflage too, which technically is a bit more "traditional" in my family, even if the BDU patterns change and become modern.  If someone looks at me in the street they might think "witch" but it's more likely they'll think "hesher" or "biker."  I don't know if that makes sense,