• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

So, after being a seeker for a little while now, and reading & replying through posts, I am finding it difficult to post experiences in a logical way.

My idea is to have a topic heading called "Experiences" in which members/seekers can post some experience they had, and that others can reply to help explain what was happening.

This separate topic idea has benefits for both the administrators.

For administrators

When a person posts some experience they had (such as a spirit walked up to me and said hello, or I did this or this spell and this other thing happened what did I do wrong?) that the administrators would get a better understanding of how witchy the person is, or how wiccan/new age the person is faking "traditional". This will help you overall in deciding who to include as a member vs who you would not vote on being a member. It would give the administrators easy access to form a more detailed description of the person in that they have a place to describe what it is they the do and allows them a way to further show you what type of person they are.

For members/seekers

We can see, based on other's answers, what background they are coming from and it would be easier for us to understand that their answers as to how it relates to our path. Plus it just literally helps to have someone expert tell me what I did wrong when i didn't realize that I did such thing, and that I can learn.

If this idea is not taken as anything that is important to do, then I am truly sorry for wasting your valuable time in reading.

Perhaps it could be put to a vote!

I would love to have a place that guests can't view where I can describe some experience I had that other people like me can respond to. I seem to only be able to that currently when I am responding to something and that PARTICULAR post nearly replicates my experience.

Thanks for listening...

SachaX

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#2 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

When a person posts some experience they had (such as a spirit walked up to me and said hello, or I did this or this spell and this other thing happened what did I do wrong?) that the administrators would get a better understanding of how witchy the person is, or how wiccan/new age the person is faking "traditional". This will help you overall in deciding who to include as a member vs who you would not vote on being a member.

This made me smile! Your post raises some interesting points and your idea of an experience thread is a good one but the thought of the admins policing the "witchiness" of site members to weed out anyone "faking" traditional witchcraft is perhaps a little more Gestapo than witch forum...

Having said that - if we're obliged to admit to any New Age tendancies I'll admit to a small bag of chakra stones hidden on a shelf somewhere...!

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#3 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

I don't think I worded that too well. Lol, we don't want the Gestapo.

I think for me I would be able to listen to other's replies and the way they answer may ring true for what I'm used to based on that person's experiences and background, or that I might get another way of seeing things.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#4 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

LOL What I think this comes down to is "typed actions may speak louder than typed words"? :wink:

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#5 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

Well when you are giving a suggestion to the boss you've got to tell them how it's going to help them. Was trying to give them something good. Sometimes I come off as sounding like a complete idiot, sometimes not. Anyway, we don't know their true formula, so I could only guess on how this could help them, and that were the words that got typed!

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Have you considered starting a blog, SachaX?

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Have you considered starting a blog, SachaX?

==

Never done a blog in my life. Plus I'm not important enough that people would want to hear from me more than just on an occasional basis. And I get bored writing ---- believe me... this screenplay I've had for the last 8 years sure isn't writing itself!

#8 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:36 AM

I feel that the majority of posts people make are derived from their personal experiences.

Sometimes the experiences are directly stated. It is common for people to post experiences like your examples ("such as a spirit walked up to me and said hello") and other people do give their thoughts and opinions. I have done this many times myself. Other times, experiences are indirectly stated, but we can assume that people's opinions and beliefs are derived from personal experience. My post about keeping records, for example, was derived from my personal experiences about how much it sucks to practice without adequate record-keeping. You yourself have made a post about your personal experiences to spark a discussion (in your how to raise elemental spirits thread), without the need for a special board. So I feel that if someone wants to share a personal experience, there is already precedent to do so in just about every board TW already has.

Let me offer a counter-argument to your idea. TW is not a teaching community. Although a great deal of learning can occur here, members don't join to help or coach other people, they come to engage in discussions with their peers. In the past, some members have been frustrated when it appears like someone has made an account simply to ask for solutions to their problems. This is a sentiment I somewhat share - even though I like trying to be helpful, I would probably find TW to become quite tiresome if there were a high volume of 'help me' posts.

I imagine that an Experiences board would attract a large number of people who are either seeking help or validation. As you say in your example, "I did this or this spell and this other thing happened what did I do wrong?" -- people would probably post problems and specifically ask for help or to be taught how to do something properly. I can imagine that a great deal of new members who are also new to witchcraft (such as myself when I joined) would want to post lists of every 'experience' they have had and ask other members for validation or, "does this mean I'm a witch??". I imagine such a board could also easily turn in to a sort of blog, where people just come to share what happened to them that day, without trying to begin a discussion. This is a trap I would probably fall in to, because I love talking about myself.

Because members already share their personal experiences all the time, either as posts or new threads, I am not sure a board entirely dedicated to Experiences is necessary. I think as long as personal experiences are used to start discussions they are appropriate on any of the other related boards.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Well said Wexler. 

I can add some, but, don't feel the need. You hit the main points.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#10 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

I think for me I would be able to listen to other's replies and the way they answer may ring true for what I'm used to based on that person's experiences and background, or that I might get another way of seeing things.

Or you could hang around long enough, read some of the older posts and get to know people the way the rest of us did.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#11 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

Or you could hang around long enough, read some of the older posts and get to know people the way the rest of us did.

---

I'm still here, plugging away, reading, asking questions, posting my observations. Thank you for the invite to stay.

#12 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

I noticed and I'm glad you're here.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#13 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Thread has run its course and SachaX has left so locking this for housekeeping.
)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.