Recent used and antique book purchases thread

Capsicum

A thread for sharing your recent hauls maybe?

I'm a bit of a bibliophile and haunt local used book shops, thrift stores, salvage stations, antique malls, and flea markets on a very regular basis, almost every weekend in fact (I live in the middle of nowhere and it's part of what I do to get out in the world and feel like I'm doing something.)  I do use websites too when there's something I feel I absolutely must have but I like going hunting (or foraging perhaps?) for whatever's available in the direct area and I'm rarely disappointed.  Every once in a while I'll find a book that relates to what I actually believe and use but often it's just something Eastern or New Age-ish that I'll speed through and stick on my shelf that has little or no use in me spending much time digging into.  For example, I found these at a local salvage and antique yard today....for a grand total of

$12.76

20140823_185550_zpsak4arb2t.jpg

old botany textbook

1943 copy of a collection of writings by Aristotle

1908 printing of Beowulf in Danish

The Sun and the Shadow ---appears to be a book about lucid dreaming

Earth Magic ---appears to be a book about Shamanism and how it ties in to mysteries such as stonehenge

The Mars Book ---appears to be a New Age-ish book about the planetary body of Mars and how it affects us on this planet

Noble Treasure ---A small book translated from Hindi that outlines some Buddhist principles

a book of Baha'i prayers

copy of the US Constitution that was distributed by the City of Manassas for the Bicentennial in 1976

Edited by Capsicum

I go to Edward McKay's almost every weekend!! It's an enormous second hand book store!! Surprisingly decent section on the occult, witchcraft, and metaphysical stuff for a Southern Baptist area! I'll have to take a look at my bookshelf and see which books I most recently acquired. 

Nice haul btw!! I LOVE to read!!! LOVE books!!

Edited by bewitchingredhead

Great topic! :smile: My latest great find was a beautifully illustrated Dutch Edda translation from 1911. There were just 750 numbered copies printed back in the day, and I've got no. 372. It was expensive but I had the money at the time and it was totally worth it!

Foto0846_zpsdb1d9137.jpg

I go to Edward McKay's almost every weekend!! It's an enormous second hand book store!! Surprisingly decent section on the occult, witchcraft, and metaphysical stuff for a Southern Baptist area! I'll have to take a look at my bookshelf and see which books I most recently acquired. 

Nice haul btw!! I LOVE to read!!! LOVE books!!

I'm highly interested in the lucid dreaming one- You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you're done!

One of the bigger issues I have here sometimes is that the junk shops don't typically carry books because they can't move them fast enough.  I get lucky at antique malls and flea markets usually...Some of the more established ones have rather extensive collections of used and antique books but have very little in the occult genres...possibly because of it being in the Bible Belt....or there is another around here like me that snags them up as soon as they come in.  When somewhere is lacking in the occult interest choices they will usually have plenty on history and mythology or even some about survivalism and herbalism.  The one less than a mile from me where I got the books in the original post is a large salvage yard mostly but they have a huge indoor buildiing with junk stacked upon junk and a huge section of books just kind of crammed into a large corner that spans two floors.  I could probably spend a few days straight in there and not sift through everything they have.  I have a few friends that deal in the "junk" business that rarely grab up books but know the kinds I'm looking for if they come across them.

The book about lucid dreaming is actually a bit far down on my list right now, plus I had to slow down a lot so I can pay attention reading this book on Taliesin.  If it's of any interest to the forum I may post a review.

Great topic! :smile: My latest great find was a beautifully illustrated Dutch Edda translation from 1911. There were just 750 numbered copies printed back in the day, and I've got no. 372. It was expensive but I had the money at the time and it was totally worth it!

Foto0846_zpsdb1d9137.jpg

Wow, excellent!  Sometimes I wish I knew how to read and write in more languages than just English and Spanish, my options for books would increase dramatically.  I can understand a good percentage of Latin but only because of knowing Spanish.  I was far too young to remember much from when I lived in Europe but *sometimes* I wish I still did because of how much older and antiquated a lot of items are over there.  One of my former roommates had an English translation of some poetry by Edda that I vaguely remember sifting through but maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for more.

I wish I could read Spanish and French, Capsicum. I had some French and Latin classes in secondary school, but not nearly enough to handle books in those languages. Dutch and English are my main languages, and I can handle German enough to read it with a dictionary on the side. As you say, reading options would expand immensely adding other languages to the ones we speak or read well enough.

Edited by Horne

A thread for sharing your recent hauls maybe?

I'm a bit of a bibliophile and haunt local used book shops, thrift stores, salvage stations, antique malls, and flea markets on a very regular basis, almost every weekend in fact (I live in the middle of nowhere and it's part of what I do to get out in the world and feel like I'm doing something.)  I do use websites too when there's something I feel I absolutely must have but I like going hunting (or foraging perhaps?) for whatever's available in the direct area and I'm rarely disappointed.  Every once in a while I'll find a book that relates to what I actually believe and use but often it's just something Eastern or New Age-ish that I'll speed through and stick on my shelf that has little or no use in me spending much time digging into.  For example, I found these at a local salvage and antique yard today....for a grand total of

$12.76

20140823_185550_zpsak4arb2t.jpg

old botany textbook

1943 copy of a collection of writings by Aristotle

1908 printing of Beowulf in Danish

The Sun and the Shadow ---appears to be a book about lucid dreaming

Earth Magic ---appears to be a book about Shamanism and how it ties in to mysteries such as stonehenge

The Mars Book ---appears to be a New Age-ish book about the planetary body of Mars and how it affects us on this planet

Noble Treasure ---A small book translated from Hindi that outlines some Buddhist principles

a book of Baha'i prayers

copy of the US Constitution that was distributed by the City of Manassas for the Bicentennial in 1976

Nice collection

aaand another haul, it's a sickness I tell ya!

20140905_222440_zpsh4endnt8.jpg

The Golden Bough---seems to be a rather intricate tome of 890 some pages dealing with shamanic rituals and sex practices from before written times

The Book of Druidry---not sure about this one but it seems fairly legit regarding the early Druidic religions from what I can see sifting through it, not too "new agey"

The Templars---a book on the Knights Templar

Seductive Poison---a book about a survivor of the Jonestown cult

Death and the Invisible Powers---very cool, already started reading it.  about the spiritual practices of indigenous people of the Congo.  African practices are something I don't know a lot about

all of these for 17 bucks

• 2 months later...

No one else wants to play?  lol

20141108_202712_zps88kca362.jpg

Edge of the Anvil (blacksmith textbook)

The Art of Drying Plants and Flowers

From Emperor to Citizen (autobiography of the last emperor of China)

How to Preserve Animals and Other Specimens in Clear Plastic (!!!!)

American Sphinx (a biography of some of the mysteries surrounding Thomas Jefferson)

1905 pristine copy of The Comedy of Errors

Edgar Cayce's Story of the Origin and Destiny of Man

Fortune Telling for Fun and Profit (a tutorial on various divination techniques from 1945)

I will see if I can get a pic to attach. I forget the exact sequence of events, but as a late-teen I was working in a shop where the manager sold things at flea-markets on weekends. He'd picked up a box of old books quite cheaply, and one was a prayer book from the Church of England. The inscription on it pertained to my family and he recognized the name and brought it in to show me. I took it home and it turned out the be the Prayer Book that belonged to my mother as a little girl. So he gave it to me. How it got across the pond and ended up in a box at a flea-market is a story only the book knows.

post-92-0-43715900-1415556068_thumb.jpg