Photo
- - - - -

Practicing traditional witchcraft along with other things (not mixed, just alternated or like)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

Belwenda we come from such different places I hardly know what you are saying.

But please keep posting, I'm enjoying learning about things with you,

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#22 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

------------------------------------

The Pentecostal preacher laying his hand on the sick is truly magic. If you do the same method but using a different gods name to do it you are looked on as being evil. Do either of these scenarios have anything to do with a god granting the power?

Which god or minor god whispers in your ear when you are reading tarot?

Those are just points of interest to help your mind split divinity and magick.

The nature gods some speak of is a way of describing how the universe allows us to habitate here.  So the earth goes around the sun and the moon goes around the earth and we can count how many times the moon is full so that we know when is the time to plant our crops, or to harvest them. 

The ancient pagans viewed the moon as the goddess - not a person but a relevant way in which the universe helps us tell what time it is. And of course the sun bringing the necessary energy 'heat' which will then warm nature and allow life to grow again. Surely sounds like the sun must be the god that is in charge of life. By replacing Son for Sun, you have rules, regulations, and so forth.

The goddess and the god are simply descriptions of the powers of the universe that makes life possible here.

You aren't grabbing their power to do magick from, you are getting it from yourself, your ancestors, spirits, and all the energy that is around you.

Ever wonder where Pharo's men got the power to turn their staffs into snakes before moses turned his staff into a snake and ate theirs? Did pharo's men cast magic from some god that was different from the god of moses, or did the cast it in another way? Or is the whole belief that magic has to come from a god the only way it is possible?

My questions were more or less rhetorical... but you don't know me well enough to know that.

The point I was trying to make is that "Power" can come from many places not just one-, I've never wondered about the laying on of hands because IMO it rarely really occurs, Who knows if there were any snakes? We weren't there- at least I wasn't.

I don't think that those who are deeply religious believe in "Powers of the Universe", they believe in an all powerful God who is in charge.

Whether the God (s) and Goddess(es) of old are REALLY something else, or  just represent something else, who can say?

As for grabbibg power- that is the way it feels to me- yes I can direct and channel it; I can raise it, but I never have believed that I create it. It is just there. Look at the different channels with which people work ; entities of all sorts! It seems we have our pick:)

The craft of TDW seems to me -a practical science.

And the Tarot- or any other oracle, they call them readings for a reason, at least for me it is like reading a book- no one is whispering in my ear,  for me the info is not that subjective.

My approach to ancestors is RIP

Belwenda Makes sense to me.

Edited by Autumn Moon, 31 August 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#23 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

The Pentecostal preacher laying his hand on the sick is truly magic. If you do the same method but using a different gods name to do it you are looked on as being evil. Do either of these scenarios have anything to do with a god granting the power?

The nature gods some speak of is a way of describing how the universe allows us to habitate here.  So the earth goes around the sun and the moon goes around the earth and we can count how many times the moon is full so that we know when is the time to plant our crops, or to harvest them. 

The ancient pagans viewed the moon as the goddess - not a person but a relevant way in which the universe helps us tell what time it is. And of course the sun bringing the necessary energy 'heat' which will then warm nature and allow life to grow again. Surely sounds like the sun must be the god that is in charge of life. By replacing Son for Sun, you have rules, regulations, and so forth.

The goddess and the god are simply descriptions of the powers of the universe that makes life possible here.

You aren't grabbing their power to do magick from, you are getting it from yourself, your ancestors, spirits, and all the energy that is around you.

Ever wonder where Pharo's men got the power to turn their staffs into snakes before moses turned his staff into a snake and ate theirs? Did pharo's men cast magic from some god that was different from the god of moses, or did the cast it in another way? Or is the whole belief that magic has to come from a god the only way it is possible?

Not sure where you are going with this, other than power is power regardless of what deity personification one assigns to it.

In the past, there were Pagans who viewed the moon deity as a God (male) instead of a Goddess (female) - just saying.

#24 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

There are still pagans who view the Sun as female and the Moon as male. I have been enjoying reading about Northern Tradition paganism and shamanism, which works with the Norse pantheon. In their tradition, which has been widely adopted, the Moon is Mani, who is somewhat capricious and unreliable, a male entity, and the Sun is Sol, a dependable woman who draws her chariot across the sky.

Other cultures, such as the Japanese, also hold that the Sun is female and the Moon is male. The modern concept that the Moon is universally known as female irritates me. That belief has never been universally held, either in ancient paganism or modern times.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#25 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

I agree with you Wexler, I'm involved in Germanic heathenry and to me the moon is male and the sun female. I prefer the name Sunna over Sol, but both are being used in norse mythology.

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#26 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Sunna certainly does have a more intimate feel to it, I think :)

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#27 Horne

Horne

Wyrdling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

In Dutch I call her Zonne. :smile:

“Awake becomes
what once was known,

forgetfulness is fleeting.”

#28 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:09 AM

Having mentioned that at one time (and for some) the moon was male.

However, I still like the moon as female and the sun as male. It makes more sense to me from a bio-physical point of view, ie. male energy is generally deemed hotter than female energy. 

#29 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

My questions were more or less rhetorical... but you don't know me well enough to know that.

The point I was trying to make is that "Power" can come from many places not just one-, I've never wondered about the laying on of hands because IMO it rarely really occurs, Who knows if there were any snakes? We weren't there- at least I wasn't.

I don't think that those who are deeply religious believe in "Powers of the Universe", they believe in an all powerful God who is in charge.

Whether the God (s) and Goddess(es) of old are REALLY something else, or  just represent something else, who can say?

As for grabbing power- that is the way it feels to me- yes I can direct and channel it; I can raise it, but I never have believed that I create it. It is just there. Look at the different channels with which people work ; entities of all sorts! It seems we have our pick:)

The craft of TDW seems to me -a practical science.

And the Tarot- or any other oracle, they call them readings for a reason, at least for me it is like reading a book- no one is whispering in my ear,  for me the info is not that subjective.

My approach to ancestors is RIP

Belwenda we come from such different places I hardly know what you are saying.

But please keep posting, I'm enjoying learning about things with you,

Belwenda Makes sense to me.

Not sure where you are going with this, other than power is power regardless of what deity personification one assigns to it.

In the past, there were Pagans who viewed the moon deity as a God (male) instead of a Goddess (female) - just saying.

There are still pagans who view the Sun as female and the Moon as male. I have been enjoying reading about Northern Tradition paganism and shamanism, which works with the Norse pantheon. In their tradition, which has been widely adopted, the Moon is Mani, who is somewhat capricious and unreliable, a male entity, and the Sun is Sol, a dependable woman who draws her chariot across the sky.

Other cultures, such as the Japanese, also hold that the Sun is female and the Moon is male. The modern concept that the Moon is universally known as female irritates me. That belief has never been universally held, either in ancient paganism or modern times.

Having mentioned that at one time (and for some) the moon was male.

However, I still like the moon as female and the sun as male. It makes more sense to me from a bio-physical point of view, ie. male energy is generally deemed hotter than female energy. 

-----

A few points to discuss. These are my beliefs, and you have no expectation to agree with them.

Yes I am saying that power is power whoever you are assigning a name to it - it's there. I don't subscribe to it coming from an all powerful deity that will judge us when we die. I subscribe to the belief in the powers of the universe which allows us to be able to exist and live. Call is what you want (god and goddess, thor, set, hera, mithril, virishnu, ghandi, the moon is male/female, the ufo above tom cruise's house, pharo's god, abrahamic god, christian god, hades, zero point energy, the big bang) it is not going to change that it is there. And I am kind deeply religious in that aspect, that the power of the universe has allowed us to be here. I honor the things and the way the universe does it's thing to allow us to be here. the universe has given us a way to communicate with her, to feel her, to interact with - magick.

And as far as ancestors go, RIP is not the way of my clan. Got to honor them too, because you may not have been here otherwise.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#30 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

A UFO above above Tom Cruise's house - that's funny stuff right there !! Great line :)

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#31 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

Just for my two cents... I am not sure that RIP (re ancestors) meant not honoring them. Perhaps it meant not bothering them... but then again, I'm not the person who typed that so I can't say what they meant, lol lol lol. I honor my ancestors, and I talk to their memories. But I don't bother them - I let them RIP (rest in peace).

#32 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Certain Ancestors of mine don't want to rest in peace.  Other's do. 

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#33 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

Certain Ancestors of mine don't want to rest in peace.  Other's do. 

Oh I can attest to that. he he he  :biggrin2:

Many of mine are the same though it occurs to me at times that I wonder at times if it is an ancestor or if it is a future descendant that makes itself known.  It's difficult to put into perspective but its like the words and imagery of my time is as foreign to them and archaic as my ancestors are to me at times.  A struggle for words or concepts that we can connect with and bridge certain gaps.

#34 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

I've been slightly skating around posting to this thread until I found the words.  To me, witchcraft is a tool.  No matter the belief system there can be use of it.  It all depends on which tools you are willing to use that run parallel with your beliefs.  Traditional witchcraft, to me, is not a belief system or a religion in itself other than it can be used in conjunction with religions and belief systems.  Let me see if I can put it this way.  If I'm a carpenter why would I need a smith's anvil in my tool collection?  If I plan on using the anvil for something, does that not make me a carpenter anymore?

Many of you do not hunt or even eat meat because of personal beliefs, why would you be interested in hunting witchcraft?  However, learning about something and actually practicing it are two different things.  You can learn about it, but if killing animals is against your beliefs or the paradigms of your path then why practice it?  The act of taking a life in a ritual manner is something that is considered taboo by many, but very important to much of the world, especially in places where people still live as hunter/gatherers like the Innuits in the Arctic circle or people living in the jungles of Africa and South America.

I think as long as using the tool isn't in "violation" of your religious or spiritual belief system then it shouldn't matter.  The choice is up to the individual though.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#35 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

I've been slightly skating around posting to this thread until I found the words.  To me, witchcraft is a tool.  No matter the belief system there can be use of it.  It all depends on which tools you are willing to use that run parallel with your beliefs.  Traditional witchcraft, to me, is not a belief system or a religion in itself other than it can be used in conjunction with religions and belief systems.  Let me see if I can put it this way.  If I'm a carpenter why would I need a smith's anvil in my tool collection?  If I plan on using the anvil for something, does that not make me a carpenter anymore?

Many of you do not hunt or even eat meat because of personal beliefs, why would you be interested in hunting witchcraft?  However, learning about something and actually practicing it are two different things.  You can learn about it, but if killing animals is against your beliefs or the paradigms of your path then why practice it?  The act of taking a life in a ritual manner is something that is considered taboo by many, but very important to much of the world, especially in places where people still live as hunter/gatherers like the Innuits in the Arctic circle or people living in the jungles of Africa and South America.

I think as long as using the tool isn't in "violation" of your religious or spiritual belief system then it shouldn't matter.  The choice is up to the individual though.

There's a lot of assumption in this.  Consider I don't hunt anymore due to physical limitations but walking the warrior pathway war is hunting in almost all aspects.  So ones studies, practices and ponders all sorts of battle scenario's, weapons, point and counter-point.  You may never use them or even be in a position to physically experience their usage but you condition the mind and body for it.  I trained on my own with a sword yet I know except under extreme rarity there is no way i'd ever use one in a combat situation.  Yet the dance served my purpose.  While the warrior or solider may only master a single weapon they learn all they can of others they may meet on the battle field.  But they also learn a weapon takes many forms and usages if they truly embrace their calling.

An anvil is the tool of the blacksmith for certain yet it is also used in many other things besides the smithy.  The jeweler uses a smaller anvil for creation of beauty for instance, the butcher uses a variant for cutting meat upon but its still an anvil.  But it takes more than the usage of the tool to make one a member of that caste I think.

Though to use a line out of Sister Act..."One doesn't have to taste the icecream to know its sweet!"

#36 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

I think you get what I'm saying.  I wonder if things I say are coming across the right way sometimes XD

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#37 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

I think you get what I'm saying.  I wonder if things I say are coming across the right way sometimes XD

---

You are fine. Monslodeera explained it pretty nicely. So did you in your post.

The only thing I could add to that is as a carpenter, the weight of the anvil could serve a purpose of propping something up, or to use it as a hard surface pound out a nail.

As long as you are not breaking your morals, you can use anyone's tools to get the job done.

I'm not going to use powerful herbs to hedge with, but doesn't mean I wouldn't try to use some other method (ie meditation) to do so.

#38 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

Just for my two cents... I am not sure that RIP (re ancestors) meant not honoring them. Perhaps it meant not bothering them... but then again, I'm not the person who typed that so I can't say what they meant, lol lol lol. I honor my ancestors, and I talk to their memories. But I don't bother them - I let them RIP (rest in peace).

Of course "not bothering them"- I mean what a pain; to be called on for this and that all the time.

Edited by Belwenda, 01 September 2014 - 06:28 PM.

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#39 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Of course "not bothering them"- I mean what a pain; to be called on for this and that all the time.

---

You can't make them come, they come if they want to. It's not like you are taking them away from tea time.

In all of my experiences, if they come, they want to help.

#40 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

... or gloat.

:vhappywitch:

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.