Photo
- - - - -

Practicing traditional witchcraft along with other things (not mixed, just alternated or like)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Cunningfire

Cunningfire

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

First of all , if this post is not appropriate , or not in the appropriate place , sorry.

I ask this because , although i am deeply interested in traditional witchcraft and hedgecraft, i am interested in anothe form of withcraft (wicca),  and i have been thinking in try to , on one hand, have the hedgecraft and traditional witchcraft practice and way of live, and in the other hand the wicca.

I am not wan't to talk about wicca , just to ask , if i could practice traditional witchcraft and wicca , both but without mixing them, i like eclecticism , but no fluffy mixings , so if i could , would be having each practices totally separated.

I would have to make double work , in celebrations and like (for example in samhain , i would have to celebrate it in the form of things done on traditional withcraft path chooseen ,and how i want to do it , well , but algo a wiccan ritual) ,but i have no problem with that.

Other thing is how to deal with beliefs diferences, and like ,and practice traditional withcraft in one moment and a wiccan ritual on other.

But more than the isues about beliefs and so ( that i will have to think in , and see what do), i am concerned in the physical place where practicw traditional withcraft and wicca.

I can have a room for all the spiritual work , meditation , herbs working , and two altars each for each "practice , i mean one for tradtional withccraft and one for wicca ?

I don't know if having a altar for wicca near other for traditionalwitccraft is a good idea, or could the diffferent energies , and energy in the room make it difficult to work  (im am refering to traditional withcraft ,if having another altar of withccraft path /wicca in the same room is possible or not)

Perhaps wuld be a better idea , have a place for traditional witchcraft works , and altar , herbs work (incenses and so) and like. And just leave any other not traditional witchcraft practice/ work not related , in other place.

By the moment i have been only reading about traditional witchcraft, for the last three months , and perhaps once started doing practicalwork, i will just forget wicca.

I am asking this ,not to upset or bother anyone. I am deeply interested in traditional witchcraft , and i will make the effort to learn , and parctice it , because , i am very interested in it, I want to practice traditional wicca , hedgecraft, but a fraction of me , is still interested in wicca (but no that fluffy thing , only serious practice and work, but i will not talk about how i see wicca,is not the place ).

Anyway i am asking this because i wanted to know your opinion about this, if i could practice not only traditional witchcraft but other witchcraft or macgickal systems too.

Perhaps in a few months once finished reading my book ofrobin artisson and others of other authors like nigel , i will seethat what mostly interest me is traditional wicca , and i have not time for other thing.

#2 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

I vaguely recall seeing a thread that mentioned the distinction between religion and the Path, such as to say that a traditional witch can also be a neo-pagan.  I don't recall mention of blending (or partitioning) Wicca and trad craft, though.

My perspective is that it seems you'd come to a fork in the road at some point if you practice all aspects of both, however.  (I define practicing all aspects as not "dabbling" or picking-and-choosing what elements to utilize from various approaches in the spirit of eclecticism, but rather total commitment to each Path.)  I would equate it to a Hasidic Jew working as a cook in Bavaria: being expected to handle pork sausage at some point in their career is going to create a conflict between their desire to be a professional chef, and staying true to the stringent Kosher laws of their faith.  Although the primary differences between trad craft and Wicca, to me, are bore more from differences in methods/style rather than black-and-white contradicting philosophies as depicted in the previous metaphor, I strongly suspect there would eventually be a decision point forcing a multiple-disciplinary witch to choose one Path. 

However, consider the other perspective: we know there are people in this world who speak several languages, and communicate well with all of them without committing any accidental verbal faux pas.  So why wouldn't it be possible to practice vastly different customs of witchcraft without any (or many) negative ramifications?

#3 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:06 AM

I think you may be over thinking things :tongue:

Traditional witchcraft and Wicca are just two ways of working with magic.

Magical 'systems' are just that. You do not have to sell yourself to one system.

What matters is the magic. How you connect with it, how you use it, how you feel it. I feel that most magical systems are no longer "pure". So much information is available that systems inevitably get crossed over. I know Wiccans who use elements of folk magic, HooDoo, and traditional crafting in their work. So being Wiccan with elements of traditional craft (or vice versa) doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

I think the conflict arises when you stop wanting to practice magic as a skill, and start wanting it to be a way of life. Then I have a hard time understanding how someone could could just swap out differing worldviews, beliefs, actions, et cetera, and go back and forth whenever they need to. Like, you can cast a Trad spell any time you want, but I don't think you can be a Traditional Witch in the morning and a Wiccan in the afternoon, you know?

Why would you have to do double work? Unless you are honoring Wiccan gods and Trad gods differently, I am not sure why someone would have to carry out different rituals for each tradition they work with. If the point is to connect and honor, then that can be done in a ritual from any system. 

The best answer to your questions will probably be to just try things out and see what happens. Set up a Trad altar and see if it gets in a fight with your Wiccan altar. Try to work under both belief systems simultaneously, see where the conflicts are, and resolve them for yourself. Cast Trad spells, and compare them to the results of your Wiccan spells. Just give things a try and see how it works out.

Ultimately I think it would be easier to just stay with the system you prefer, and add elements of the other. I can't easily see how someone would have a good time trying to simultaneously fully practice two different traditions with different workrooms, different altars, two different rituals every holiday, et cetera. Would you also take two different ritual baths? :tongue:

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#4 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Been trying to answer this but the words keep getting in the way.  In some manner that I think maybe part of the issue for the op, the words are getting in the way.

For instance the OP mentioned using an altar but an altar is specifically a spiritual / religious practice.  A place where one creates a sacred spot, most often dedicated, to ones God, god / goddess or other divine / semi-divine entities. A place where one prays, speaks and makes offerings and such.  As such not something that is typically called for to be a traditional witch, nor truthfully found being used as such.  the closest one might come is say a kitchen witch who says his / her kitchen and food preparation area is their altar.  Under such it serves as an altar for spiritual / religious purpose and as a preparation area for spell work or craft projects.   Some might equate it to how the Hearth used to be the center of the home and the Hearth Witch used it as the heart and center of their practice.

So the many Wiccan or Wiccan inspired books that try to pass themselves off as being traditional witchcraft only serve to really screw things up and redefine Wiccan traditional witchcraft.  Not only how things work but also how ones morals, ethics and such should be projected and perceived.  Morals, ethics, etc that always seem to hold many Wiccan assumptions yet try to pass them off as typical traditional witchcraft perspectives.

I think the OP is also falling into the trap that one is a religion / spiritual practice and skeleton for interacting with the world while the other is a practice or way of doing things.  So the Pennsylvania Dutch and their Pow-Wow magics are utilized within a Christian trapping for instance, many Granny / Folk practitioners fall into an older form of Christian beliefs and influences.  Then of course those who fall under the Disapor Practices, Pagan or occultist practices or even New Age.

So a great deal lays in how the OP defines traditional witchcraft as to whether it can be separated into little cells or has to be observed as a whole.  Based upon the questions being asked I personally do not think the OP knows what a traditional witch is and is using a bunch of neo-wicca books to try and define what it is. A process that IMHO can only result in more watered down Wiccanesq practices trying to claim it is traditional.

#5 Cunningfire

Cunningfire

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the answers.I haven't been reading any wicca book for the last 3 months, only some blogs and this forum.

I said altar because it was the word more familiar i was with. But perhaps is not the correct one.

I think i will just go on reading the two books that i just received.

Hedge-rider , Eric de vries (hedgecraft)

The witching way of the hollow hill , Robin artisson.

I'm really interested in trad witchcraft,perhaps i only need thinking,read a bit here and some books and decide and start looking inside of me ...

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

I think it would depend on whether you're referring to the practice of magic, or the religion. Also, depending on what forms you're looking into they may well have two very different ways of seeing and understanding the worlds. I think that at some point you may have to make a decision.

M

#7 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

I obviously have very few posts on this site and am likely the least kind of expert to expel any advice and counseling on religious beliefs. But setting that thought aside.... why can't you just do what is natural to your desires and beliefs? Perhaps you are a mix between these two things you have described.

I do my darndest? to hold meaningful circles with my friends, but when it comes the the Sabbats we have alot of people there so we keep things general so as we don't offend the christians and and wiccans. Sure, I can pull out the wicca way and give them a wonderful circle experience - but when they are gone we proceed with the 2nd circle.

To sum this all up... just be yourself and do what you feel is right. But remember not everyone should know what you do.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#8 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

I thought about the question and read the answers. Don't you feel, like a gut-feeling, if you're on your path or on someone else's. Also, just do what you feel. If you look at the history of Wicca, you find that, like with any other organised faithsystem, some decisions as to how to do things, we're taken for reasons which have nothing to do with the faith. Imo, go back to the concept of the solitary man or woman living at the edge of the deep dark wood, stirring herbal remedies (or other) in their cauldron... and start from there.
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

I don't think TW and wicca gel together at all. 

Doing either halfway will probably cause more trouble than it's worth. 

I think you'll have to choose, sooner or later. 

Traditional Witchcraft isn't for everyone, and that's ok. 

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#10 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'm not a fan of committing to anybody else's path be it Wiccan or TW. Utilise the parts from both that genuinely call to you and establish a path you feel genuinely called toward. Both Wicca and TW have their good points and I have to disagree with my good friend Nikki (sorry Nikki!) I actually think the two can be merged quite well.  Wicca is a religion and TW a secular way of working -  as such there is little conflict between the two to my mind. 

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#11 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Don't be sorry, Degu.  I knew you'd say that... lol

Is Tradiccan a word? heehee

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#12 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

It's time for you to truly analyze why you are interested in using the term "Witch" when referring to yourself.

Are you drawn to the Celts, Picts, Saxons, Tree Peoples, Druids, Moon Children, Norse mythology, African mythology, Egyptians, Indians, etc?

What do you like about what you are drawn to? Do the other cultural beliefs even belong with what you are drawn to?

If one person tells me they are a Druid and then in the next sentence tell me about opening my chakras I do not call them a Druid, I call them a new-age believer. 

Here's what I tell the disillusioned wiccans who come to my circle looking for some truth ------

Would you like to drink some more of Gerald Gardner's Kool-Aid? You have ALL the right in the world to follow his religion he invented in the 1900's.

Sure there's some old ways in there, but it also has a mix of beliefs from many other cultures, and is laid out as a religion with rules. If you are looking for the old ways in wicca you will not find them because he presents everything as truth. The New Forest Coven is happy that he helped muddle things up and their secrets are safe. 

Got to give him credit... He's kept the Witches' secrets by creating what you read in all these books. Good job Gerald - we need more people like you.

At any rate, if you are drawn to religious beliefs from many cultures all at once you are new age.

If you would like to use your natural intuition to sort out the mess and find what is true for the "base belief", then you can have firmer ground to walk down your path and institute whatever magickal ways work for you, even if they are from other cultures.

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#13 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

I think that one can merge religion and TW to a point- but ultimately  we come to the question of-  Who is really in charge? and From where, or whom  does the - energy- power come? 

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#14 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

I think that one can merge religion and TW to a point- but ultimately  we come to the question of-  Who is really in charge? and From where, or whom  does the - energy- power come? 

Belwinda, after reading some of your posts, I want to say that I respect you. I want to answer this question but I hope i say it right. Here goes...

This is what I teach to newbies coming to my circle.

If you are trying to learn and practice the religion and ways of your ancestors, you would have to be awfully good in knowing exactly where you ancestors lived (village/city) and that would dictacte what gods your ancestor's particular land-baron believed in.

If you want to follow things that closely, then you will find what gods are in charge of what.

If you are not so sure and want to follow earth based magick, then there isn't anyone in charge of anything. And as far as "where does the energy power come" - well, it is zero point energy. It is true that the oriental people were able to explain it first, but it is what it is and is everywhere.

The atoms of everything is vibrating releasing energy - whether it be natural or man made - it has atoms, the atoms are vibrating (unless it is absolute zero on the kelvin scale).

The energy of the vibrating atoms is a type of energy we do not have a radio or other instrument that can pick it up. Kind of like we don't have a radio that can pick up those signals. It's best to realize that the energy of everything is in a certain vibration which happens to be in the same vibration as what we call psychic energy. Once you are able to tune yourself to that frequency, you will feel how "alive" everything is, and how to use that energy for magickal work. 

#15 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

If one person tells me they are a Druid and then in the next sentence tell me about opening my chakras I do not call them a Druid, I call them a new-age believer. 

It's funny that isn't it? I've borrowed more than one book on say a topic like Shamanism or Trad Craft and there'll be chapters on chakras and other things like that and I'm left thinking WTF? 

I think when it comes to Trad Craft and Wicca, you need to think about how you can incorporate them. Wicca is a religion and it has set tenets and beliefs, rules and redes etc that to a degree would hinder parts of Trad Craft practice. Most Wiccans don't believe in cursing, hexing, binding etc or anything perceived to be "negative" magic or spells. Yet a Trad Craft practitioner will embrace the "negative" and see it as part of their practice, without connotation or label. I think you will find as you work your way through Wicca, understanding it and its systems that there are elements of Trad Craft that are outside the accepted practices and behaviours of Wicca. This is where there may be confusion. 

You could take the idea of dual Deity, Sabbat holidays and correspondences etc into a Trad Craft practice but the rules, redes, laws and other long list of expectations that are inherent in Wicca wouldn't combine well I don't believe. Ultimately I think you will find yourself leaning toward one or the other and that's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#16 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

Belwinda, after reading some of your posts, I want to say that I respect you. I want to answer this question but I hope i say it right. Here goes...

This is what I teach to newbies coming to my circle.

If you are trying to learn and practice the religion and ways of your ancestors, you would have to be awfully good in knowing exactly where you ancestors lived (village/city) and that would dictacte what gods your ancestor's particular land-baron believed in.

If you want to follow things that closely, then you will find what gods are in charge of what.

If you are not so sure and want to follow earth based magick, then there isn't anyone in charge of anything. And as far as "where does the energy power come" - well, it is zero point energy. It is true that the oriental people were able to explain it first, but it is what it is and is everywhere.

The atoms of everything is vibrating releasing energy - whether it be natural or man made - it has atoms, the atoms are vibrating (unless it is absolute zero on the kelvin scale).

The energy of the vibrating atoms is a type of energy we do not have a radio or other instrument that can pick it up. Kind of like we don't have a radio that can pick up those signals. It's best to realize that the energy of everything is in a certain vibration which happens to be in the same vibration as what we call psychic energy. Once you are able to tune yourself to that frequency, you will feel how "alive" everything is, and how to use that energy for magickal work. 

Yes; all of that is plausible , I was referring to the power of the "One God" or "Goddess"- or The "Many Small Gods" found in most organized religions, and the craft of grabbing energy from????  to cast a spell- they are opposing ideas -to my mind I cannot see how one can reconcile being able to accumulate power to cast and  some all powerful being who is ultimately incharge.

#17 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Yes; all of that is plausible , I was referring to the power of the "One God" or "Goddess"- or The "Many Small Gods" found in most organized religions, and the craft of grabbing energy from????  to cast a spell- they are opposing ideas -to my mind I cannot see how one can reconcile being able to accumulate power to cast and  some all powerful being who is ultimately in charge.

------------------------------------

The Pentecostal preacher laying his hand on the sick is truly magic. If you do the same method but using a different gods name to do it you are looked on as being evil. Do either of these scenarios have anything to do with a god granting the power?

Which god or minor god whispers in your ear when you are reading tarot?

Those are just points of interest to help your mind split divinity and magick.

The nature gods some speak of is a way of describing how the universe allows us to habitate here.  So the earth goes around the sun and the moon goes around the earth and we can count how many times the moon is full so that we know when is the time to plant our crops, or to harvest them. 

The ancient pagans viewed the moon as the goddess - not a person but a relevant way in which the universe helps us tell what time it is. And of course the sun bringing the necessary energy 'heat' which will then warm nature and allow life to grow again. Surely sounds like the sun must be the god that is in charge of life. By replacing Son for Sun, you have rules, regulations, and so forth.

The goddess and the god are simply descriptions of the powers of the universe that makes life possible here.

You aren't grabbing their power to do magick from, you are getting it from yourself, your ancestors, spirits, and all the energy that is around you.

Ever wonder where Pharo's men got the power to turn their staffs into snakes before moses turned his staff into a snake and ate theirs? Did pharo's men cast magic from some god that was different from the god of moses, or did the cast it in another way? Or is the whole belief that magic has to come from a god the only way it is possible?

#18 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I am a relatively recent participant in this site, but I have been practicing witchcraft in various forms, as well as Wiccan religious ritual, for over 20 years.  I would like to share one of the most important gleanings from my overall experience.

The heart of much of my practice is hedge-craft.  Obviously that places a certain importance on boundaries.  Of course, we straddle or cross the boundaries between worlds in our night rides, but there are other boundaries that should be considered, too.  Boundaries that we should not invade, and that we damn well shouldn't invite others to blur the lines of, especially on the internet.  Those are personal boundaries.  It is your right to define and protect them, as long as you are authentic, responsible and respectful.  And by personal boundaries, I mean your truest callings and the limitations that create workable form, not ego-whims.  What many people, in the Wiccan, TW, and other communities call "cherry picking" has more to do with ego-whims than true calling.  If you dabble to avoid depth, that is self-defeating and wasteful behavior, whether we are talking about religion, magic, psychology, art, or mopping the damn floor.  Sooner or later the flimsy structure is going to give way, and the resulting plummet will be farther, harder, and harsher, making up for the ground that you skimmed over or ignored.

That being said, when it comes to either spiritual, religious, or magical practice NEVER seek "permission" from others to define your self.  In doing so you invite them to trample those sacred boundaries, and the lines of self become smudged and blurred.  This in turn damages your vehicle for doing any working of any kind, even mundane ones. Sound tools are required for getting any work done right, and the self is your most important tool.  Respect it.

I have encountered a lot of what can only be described as whining at public gatherings and events and especially on the internet (which seems to be imposed of 1% content, 75% whining and/or snark, and 24% funny cat videos) about what other people do, and whether or not it is "real" or "legitimate".  It is sorely tempting wonder what these people's own practice must be like while they are putting all their attention and energy into picking apart those of total strangers, however, that isn't my business any more than my practice is theirs.  Before soliciting and/or heeding such advice, ask yourself "is this really helpful, productive, necessary, and true?"   What purpose does it serve?  How does it affect you and your purpose?

For example:  I put "Wicca" down on forms that ask about religious preference, because most people know what it is, and here in the Great White Liberal North, it may occasionally raise an eyebrow but doesn't generally demand explanation, argument, or discussion.  (Most people really are genuinely indifferent.)  It defines our family firstly as outside of mainstream Abrahamic world view, and gives most people who need to know at least a vague notion of what our most basic values and practices, how to avoid offending us, and days we will probably request off from work or school for religious observance.  The structure of some of my religious practices might in fact be considered Wiccan.  Whether or not I actually am "Wiccan" may require splitting some rather fine theological hairs, and it is ultimately nobody's business but mine and strictly between my self and That Which Is Sacred, anyway.  But looking at the technique of my spiritual practice there is very clearly a dominant influence of hedge-witchery.  As for my specific religious/spiritual beliefs, those are highly personal and are not offered up for discussion or critique; neither are the specifics of what and why I actually do with those techniques, within that structure.  In addition, I attend a Unitarian Universalist church, because it gives me a broader spiritual community to connect with, and a structured environment in which to give my children a broad yet responsible spiritual education.  I began a (admittedly very inconsistent) practice of yoga way back in college, originally because I suffered from poor posture and back pain and it made the hurt go away.  Over time, exposure to the concepts behind the structured practices and beliefs associated with yoga caused me to consider the concepts behind my practices and beliefs as a witch from different perspectives, as the observation of light reflecting in different facets of the same jewel.  Furthermore, I also have a regular practice of awareness meditation, which I took up as one of many varied tools for coping with a personal issue.  There are other minor practices and philosophies that lend shape to my earthly life, which I took up for other personal spiritual, political, or wellness-related reasons.

Can I do all that?  Well, I do.  As far as whether or not other people think I should, I didn't ask.  Does it "make" me "New Age", "Wiccan/Not Wiccan", "witch/not witch", "cherry-picker", "dabbler", or [insert unsolicited label here] ?  Pssht.  The reason why I didn't ask is because I don't really consider it important, and what other people think about me is none of my business.

Eat your lawn.

#19 Cunningfire

Cunningfire

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

I have been thinking myself , and i am going to forget about wicca for a time at least. I will just read the forum and books i have about traditional witchcraft and hedge-craft, and start from this.

I don't like new age , i don't like that tendency of only see light , and see dark only as bad or forget it side.Nor that tendency of take something and water it down until it lost all true meaning.A lot of autors have done this , and contributed more to this new age shit.

I think both light and darkness are important, there are both in us and nature , and forget either is bad.

I have find it,for a reason, and although wicca has been part of me for a long time, even previously to find it , nature was important , and i believed that was true alive that has it soul, spirit.Since 15 or like i discovered that i was different, i was interested in different things, i was more interested in learn about herbs, and forklore than being with friends. Then i started to look at occultism and then  looking for  witchcraft and later find wicca.

Now i have find hedhe-craft / traditional witchcraft "by casuality" (as nothing is never casual i think).

I think i have been having some fear of change, fear of forget what in my life was present since i was 17. But i think is time to let it go, and give a oportunity to hedge-craft and traditional withcraft.

I find something very appealing in traditional withcraft,the revival of the lore and traditions of the witches and people of ancient europe without that so present new ageish. The important relevance of the spirits of the land, threes,plants rivers , mountains and all that exists in nature.

The presence of the other world, and the importance of travel to it to gather knowledge and remember who we trully are, as souls.

While reading this forum and the book about hedge-craft and a spnaish blog about hedge-craft i have discovered that i trully resonate with this way of llive , and see the world.

So i will just explore it , and deep in it.

#20 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:48 AM

------------------------------------

The Pentecostal preacher laying his hand on the sick is truly magic. If you do the same method but using a different gods name to do it you are looked on as being evil. Do either of these scenarios have anything to do with a god granting the power?

Which god or minor god whispers in your ear when you are reading tarot?

Those are just points of interest to help your mind split divinity and magick.

The nature gods some speak of is a way of describing how the universe allows us to habitate here.  So the earth goes around the sun and the moon goes around the earth and we can count how many times the moon is full so that we know when is the time to plant our crops, or to harvest them. 

The ancient pagans viewed the moon as the goddess - not a person but a relevant way in which the universe helps us tell what time it is. And of course the sun bringing the necessary energy 'heat' which will then warm nature and allow life to grow again. Surely sounds like the sun must be the god that is in charge of life. By replacing Son for Sun, you have rules, regulations, and so forth.

The goddess and the god are simply descriptions of the powers of the universe that makes life possible here.

You aren't grabbing their power to do magick from, you are getting it from yourself, your ancestors, spirits, and all the energy that is around you.

Ever wonder where Pharo's men got the power to turn their staffs into snakes before moses turned his staff into a snake and ate theirs? Did pharo's men cast magic from some god that was different from the god of moses, or did the cast it in another way? Or is the whole belief that magic has to come from a god the only way it is possible?

My questions were more or less rhetorical... but you don't know me well enough to know that.

The point I was trying to make is that "Power" can come from many places not just one-, I've never wondered about the laying on of hands because IMO it rarely really occurs, Who knows if there were any snakes? We weren't there- at least I wasn't.

I don't think that those who are deeply religious believe in "Powers of the Universe", they believe in an all powerful God who is in charge.

Whether the God (s) and Goddess(es) of old are REALLY something else, or  just represent something else, who can say?

As for grabbing power- that is the way it feels to me- yes I can direct and channel it; I can raise it, but I never have believed that I create it. It is just there. Look at the different channels with which people work ; entities of all sorts! It seems we have our pick:)

The craft of TDW seems to me -a practical science.

And the Tarot- or any other oracle, they call them readings for a reason, at least for me it is like reading a book- no one is whispering in my ear,  for me the info is not that subjective.

My approach to ancestors is RIP

Edited by Belwenda, 31 August 2014 - 03:05 PM.