Photo
- - - - -

When things go "bump" in the night

Spirit ghost communication knocking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've been focusing on my ancestors, and it's possible I've got someone's attention. I say possible because I don't want to jump to conclusions.

While honoring my ancestors, I begin with a space clearing. Next, I say greetings/honoring/prayer/ etc. I always say thank you when I'm done. Yesterday morning, a I was speaking to my ancestors it appeared as if the door to my home office moved. I shrugged it off as probably air movement from the AC.

Later as I tried to sleep in my bedroom, someone knocked on my wall 7 times. It was loud; I'm surprised it didn't wake up my hubby. My first thought was a human intruder. I didn't find anyone, but I felt a presence of a tall person standing in my window. It's wasn't particularly threatening, other than just feeling surprised.

I've already checked for squirrels and raccoons in the attic, or anything else I could think of. At the time of the knocking, my animals acted normal.

So, when a possible spirit comes and knocks on your wall, what are the next steps? It is better to do divination, or leave it alone for now & see if anything else happens?

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#2 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

why would you do divination?  You invited things, opened a door and someone/thing has accepted your invite.  Are you going to be rude and not offer a greeting? 

Granted, I wouldn't invite it right into the house (your personal space inside your shields) but at least a "Hi, how you doing?  I am _____.  What's your name?"  Would be appropriate right now.

Wow!  Magic works.  Stay calm, don't spazz.  We're all here to give you a hand if you need one.

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#3 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

No, I don't want to send anyone away :) I was hoping to find out who I'm dealing with, though. I'm still developing clairvoyance/clairaudience, so when I ask a question I don't always hear the response. When it happens again, and I'm feeling that it will happen again, instead of the holy shit reaction I'll say hi.
Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.- Menander

#4 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

This is going to sound strange perhaps but in honoring your ancestors was it directed to your familial and blood ancestry or all ancestors?  For a lot of people all ancestors also includes any spirits, land wights, etc that are considered as ones ancestors owing to their influences upon ones ancestry.  That can also include land spirits that see themselves in that role having done something to afix a certain type of near familial connection to a person or family line.

Then you have opportunist spirits that will take a generic situation and turn it into an invite.  Very old school vampiric outlook in that one in that they can not enter unless invited and an open call can be perceived as an invite.  Then knock to get you to welcome them and give them entry.  Though it does make me think of the old Cornish 'Knockers" and how they work in English mythology and Scottish mythology as well.  Though at times the Kelpie and hags were supposed to knock on walls to lure you outside or gain entrance.

#5 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

If you didn't close the door that it came through when you Called then it may not have left.  Obviously, you can hear it knocking,.  There are other ways of communication than speaking words.  Pay attention to how your feel, any visions or new 'memories', it's ok to say I don't understand what you're saying or trying to communicate.  Especially if it's one of your Beloved Dead.  That is who you called, right?

Yes, they're really there. 

Have you left any offerings?  Right now I'm doing incense instead of candle flame on my Ancestral Shrine.  "It's summer - it's too hot for fire."  Leaving out whiskey or rum really does work to give them more strength to interact.  There's a reason that people continue to use these practices.

MonSno posted while I was writing.  He discusses things if it was not a Beloved Ancestor that appeared.

What was your intention and was it stated differently when you spoke the words when you did your Calling?

#6 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

Just as an aside though but it is also possible to summon ones ancestral restless dead through ancestor veneration and worship.  They are restricted to many of the restless dead motifs of not being able to enter certain places, doomed to roam and never rest.  So when one hails their ancestors and the connection is strong you could get a restless ancestor that needs the appropriate ceremonies  / rituals performed that will allow its spirit to cross over and gain release.  Especially so if they think you can hear them and can perform the needed rituals for them to be laid to rest.

Yet until such rituals / ceremonies are performed they are like a ghost / specter that is connected to a familial line and could even remain connected through generations until someone comes along and does the necessary stuff to release them.

#7 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

This is going to sound strange perhaps but in honoring your ancestors was it directed to your familial and blood ancestry or all ancestors?  For a lot of people all ancestors also includes any spirits, land wights, etc that are considered as ones ancestors owing to their influences upon ones ancestry.  That can also include land spirits that see themselves in that role having done something to afix a certain type of near familial connection to a person or family line.

Then you have opportunist spirits that will take a generic situation and turn it into an invite.  Very old school vampiric outlook in that one in that they can not enter unless invited and an open call can be perceived as an invite.  Then knock to get you to welcome them and give them entry.  Though it does make me think of the old Cornish 'Knockers" and how they work in English mythology and Scottish mythology as well.  Though at times the Kelpie and hags were supposed to knock on walls to lure you outside or gain entrance.

It was directed at my blood ancestors (specific ones first and then unknown blood ancestors), animals/plants related to the family line. Also, I've been leaving offerings to the land spirits for about a month now. The land is peaceful, I've not had any issues there.

#8 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

If you didn't close the door that it came through when you Called then it may not have left.  Obviously, you can hear it knocking,.  There are other ways of communication than speaking words.  Pay attention to how your feel, any visions or new 'memories', it's ok to say I don't understand what you're saying or trying to communicate.  Especially if it's one of your Beloved Dead.  That is who you called, right?

Yes, they're really there. 

Have you left any offerings?  Right now I'm doing incense instead of candle flame on my Ancestral Shrine.  "It's summer - it's too hot for fire."  Leaving out whiskey or rum really does work to give them more strength to interact.  There's a reason that people continue to use these practices.

MonSno posted while I was writing.  He discusses things if it was not a Beloved Ancestor that appeared.

What was your intention and was it stated differently when you spoke the words when you did your Calling?

I've done candle and food offerings because I can't burn incense at home. I only do rum/alcohol offerings to Papa Legba right now.

My call has been consistent that I mean to offer greetings, honor, and respect to my ancestors. In addition, I do an archangel evocation along with the LBRP every day, especially before addressing my ancestors (keep the trixters at bay). I've not intentionally invited any other spirits except for Legba in meditation. The land spirits I'm aware of stay back near the nature preserve behind my yard.

#9 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Just as an aside though but it is also possible to summon ones ancestral restless dead through ancestor veneration and worship.  They are restricted to many of the restless dead motifs of not being able to enter certain places, doomed to roam and never rest.  So when one hails their ancestors and the connection is strong you could get a restless ancestor that needs the appropriate ceremonies  / rituals performed that will allow its spirit to cross over and gain release.  Especially so if they think you can hear them and can perform the needed rituals for them to be laid to rest.

Yet until such rituals / ceremonies are performed they are like a ghost / specter that is connected to a familial line and could even remain connected through generations until someone comes along and does the necessary stuff to release them.

Good point.

#10 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

I concur with RoseRed's stance on etiquette: introductions, then opening a line of communication.  Personally, I immediately let Visitors know that I'm the queen bitch who is in control of her home and extends an invitation to those who take the time to earn my trust (with an offer to do my part to earn their trust as well).  The response I usually get it amusement, then frustration when I stay true to my word, LOL.  The ones who respond with piqued interest typically make lovely guests, whether short- or long-term.

As far as how to communicate with them once they've initiated contact, it's my experience that they'll show you how they prefer to interact with you (although attempting to connect with them through your preferred methods- like divination- might work well too).  Visitors can be beneficial for pulling us out of comfort zones and experiencing totally new ways of doing things magically!  Some don't mind being ignored and might even express surprise that you can perceive them, but I really don't feel that's the case with your Visitor was knocking like that.

I don't intend this to sound disrespectful or preachy, but it's easy to get lulled into a sense of complacency when the land is peaceful and otherwise uneventful.  Things- both benign and harmful- aren't static, and can find their way onto your property at any time, whether attracted to workings (like your ancestral honoring) or just boredom while passing through.

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Oh yeah, some things travel.

I don't know anything about Papa Legba other than it is way outside of my practice.  I have not ventured into that area.  That's not where I've been drawn.  There are others here that have and I'm sure they can offer more situation specific conversation.

#12 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

I haven't had any physical visits from my ancestors. But I can tell when they are with me.

One thing I am finding supremely irritating about witchcraft is how necessary it is to slow down to be able to interact with things and listen. I don't think spirits are always hanging around waiting for when you decide to take out your cards and divine. I spend my entire day with my head rushing around (even when I am being lazy) with no room for anything else to sneak in. I have found that when I am "tapped" it is time to stop everything and listen for a few minutes.

Now that things are hanging around, maybe it will help to figure out what they want if you pay attention to them in your daily life, you know? See if you get any of those 'feelings' and then slow down and have a nice listen.

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#13 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

It is not unreasonable and in some cases its expected for you to ask for a sign to determine who or what it is. Performing divinations is a good way of establishing initial contact, especially using a pendulum.

Greet and talk to whatever it is and make it clear you need to know who it is so you can establish better communication. Tell them they can speak to you through your divinations. If this works out you can find out things like who they are, if they want or need something, what offerings they might like and when and for what reasons you can call them. You might need to ask a hell of a lot of yes/no questions for this.

If my memory serves me right I think Papa Legba might be able to help with this.

Edit: just to add, don't forget to verify as best you can who they are, especially if they claim to be a relative.

Edited by Gyreleaf, 14 August 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#14 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

When this happens to me, I put out my psychic mind to them and start a conversation. I may not physically say a word and am likely staring into space like I'm zoned out or something. If they don't want to talk to you or let you know anything then they are afraid of you. If you are afraid of them, well, that's when it's time to jump up and make them leave!

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#15 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

When this happens to me, I put out my psychic mind to them and start a conversation. I may not physically say a word and am likely staring into space like I'm zoned out or something. If they don't want to talk to you or let you know anything then they are afraid of you. If you are afraid of them, well, that's when it's time to jump up and make them leave!

------

Someone has definitely been around, and I'm having really lucid dreams. I have a feeling it's someone on my father's side.

When I put on my psychic mind, I see the outline of a human figure. My psychic abilities are intermittent,so I can sorta see this person, but it's hard to zoom in on him/her.

#16 Izzie

Izzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

It is not unreasonable and in some cases its expected for you to ask for a sign to determine who or what it is. Performing divinations is a good way of establishing initial contact, especially using a pendulum.
Greet and talk to whatever it is and make it clear you need to know who it is so you can establish better communication. Tell them they can speak to you through your divinations. If this works out you can find out things like who they are, if they want or need something, what offerings they might like and when and for what reasons you can call them. You might need to ask a hell of a lot of yes/no questions for this.
If my memory serves me right I think Papa Legba might be able to help with this.
Edit: just to add, don't forget to verify as best you can who they are, especially if they claim to be a relative.

------

These are great ideas, thanks :) Coaching from Papa Legba is in order too...he works in surprising ways.

#17 Guest_monsnoleedra_*

Guest_monsnoleedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Not sure you'd consider it but automatic writing used to be a method used a lot to allow a spirit to speak to you but not require you to lower your defense or allow them to ride you.  Basically you just put pen / pencil in hand and let the spirit move your arm and write with it.  Can be really screwy looking at first, almost like scribble but if you keep trying you can have some interesting results.

Another method I've used is to speak to the entity telling it you can not understand it.  Tell it to come to you in dream time or sleep time and whisper into your ear and tell its story.  You'd be surprised how well that can actually work and influence your dreams to bring forth who they are and what they are trying to bring out or have done for them.  I know from a genealogy perspective I've called out many times to some ancestor to guide me or give me a clue as to what happened or how to find them. 

Just something to consider but sometimes an ancestor will do something simply to let you know they are not the one bugging you.  So some object associated with them is triggered not so much to say consider me but to say it wasn't me.  I get it occasionally where an object that I connect with specific members will act up to tell me it wasn't that line and to look else where.

A second item for consideration is to think about the member it might be or line they might come from.  I've encountered a couple that believed in talking in tongues and such and where more than willing to do that.  Yet the moment I tried other forms of divination it spun them up because they considered the form used to be black magic or something else that was taboo to their belief structure.  So consider I had one aunt who'd talk to you via a regular deck of playing cards but refused to even be present if you tried a ouija board or tarot cards as she though them evil.  They might be deceased but their spirits can still hold many of the beliefs they had in life.

#18 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

Then you have opportunist spirits that will take a generic situation and turn it into an invite.  Very old school vampiric outlook in that one in that they can not enter unless invited and an open call can be perceived as an invite.  Then knock to get you to welcome them and give them entry.  Though it does make me think of the old Cornish 'Knockers" and how they work in English mythology and Scottish mythology as well.  Though at times the Kelpie and hags were supposed to knock on walls to lure you outside or gain entrance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm inclined to agree with the sentiment that it may not be what it seems to be.  I have experiences and real reasons I don't or rarely do any Crafting indoors and this is one of them.  Spirits lie.  Why was it waiting for you to be asleep?  I have an aunt who invited something she thought was the spirit of a family member (my grandfather) almost 40 years ago and it has followed her from house to house for her entire life.  It wasn't what she was intending to invite--not particularly malevolent from what I can tell but a trickster nonetheless.  I encounter it almost every time I go to her house and never get any real answers from it.  I get the impression that perhaps it will one day simply be a "family spirit" since it's so familiar with all of us over the years, however, it's one of the main reasons my mother and another aunt don't allow spirits in their homes...

I might suggest being completely sure what you're dealing with before giving it the power to interact with you any further.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#19 SachaX

SachaX

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Finding out what the spirit wants can be difficult at times. Sometimes it's a good idea to open your doors in the middle of the night and walk around demanding bad spirits to leave. Some people burn herbs to try to smoke them out. Normally only the good ones stay, but even the good ones get confused and walk out the door with the bad ones sometimes.

Sounds like you may need to bring in a psychic friend if the spirit won't interact with you. 

With time: weapons of war disintegrate, the hand drops the pen, but Magick will always be. ~ Me

#20 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

I've been focusing on my ancestors, and it's possible I've got someone's attention. I say possible because I don't want to jump to conclusions.

While honoring my ancestors, I begin with a space clearing. Next, I say greetings/honoring/prayer/ etc. I always say thank you when I'm done. Yesterday morning, a I was speaking to my ancestors it appeared as if the door to my home office moved. I shrugged it off as probably air movement from the AC.

Later as I tried to sleep in my bedroom, someone knocked on my wall 7 times. It was loud; I'm surprised it didn't wake up my hubby. My first thought was a human intruder. I didn't find anyone, but I felt a presence of a tall person standing in my window. It's wasn't particularly threatening, other than just feeling surprised.

I've already checked for squirrels and raccoons in the attic, or anything else I could think of. At the time of the knocking, my animals acted normal.

So, when a possible spirit comes and knocks on your wall, what are the next steps? It is better to do divination, or leave it alone for now & see if anything else happens?

Do you like all your relatives? Do you get along with all your relatives? I would guess, probably not, like most people. If it is an ancestor/relative that came through, how do you know it is one you will get along with vice versa? I think it is always good to know about the (spirit) you are dealing with, so imo, anything that would give you this information (eg. your idea of divination) is something needed. 

Edited by Autumn Moon, 17 August 2014 - 06:23 PM.