11 replies to this topic

#1 Wexler

Wexler

Something wrong? Blame retrograde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:12 AM

I am thinking about getting Wyrdwalkers by Raven Kaldera.

http://www.northerns...yrdwalkers.html

http://www.lulu.com/...uct-777364.html

I really enjoyed reading the author's website, so I figured I would give the book a go. Has anyone read it? What did you think?

'Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.'

'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.'

[avatar source]

#2 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

On the recommendation of Pikkusisko, I ended up getting an earlier book of his called Neolithic Shamanism. I got it on Kindle for $10, which seems like a great deal for a 360 page book.

[avatar source]

#3 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

I am thinking about getting Wyrdwalkers by Raven Kaldera.

http://www.northerns...yrdwalkers.html

http://www.lulu.com/...uct-777364.html

I really enjoyed reading the author's website, so I figured I would give the book a go. Has anyone read it? What did you think?

I've read his book on Paganism and BDSM - Dark Moon Rising http://www.lulu.com/...uct-424704.html and I have to say I thought it was very good indeed. (I wrote an article on it and asked Mr Kaldera for permission to quote and he was very forthcoming and friendly)

His work on monsters in the basement and the repression of the true self particularly interests me - there's a real focus on embracing all the parts of who you are and in relation to both witchcraft and bdsm he makes a series of good points to the effect that unless we are prepared to excavate beyond our own surface we are not integrated as a person and not able to realise our full potential.

I'd highly recommend him as an author (nice bloke as well)

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#4 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I poked around the site ... just about ruined my day.

Not a Path I'd volunteer for... but, here's a nice balance of what is, can be... with warnings. Some good food for thought. The Transgender writing took me pleasantly by surprise.  

I now appreciate why so much info about subjects like these are buried deep, not openly discussed or eagerly taught. I sooooooooo get it. 

But it did bring to mind a snippet from my childhood... Please, don't Squeeze the Shaman...lol  (a play on words, not a misspelling)

Edited by Nikki, 05 August 2014 - 09:12 AM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#5 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Degu -- How very interesting... the BDSM / Spiritual connection... trance state, service and slavery... seems like a great read :)

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#6 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

I poked around the site ... just about ruined my day.

Not a Path I'd volunteer for... but, here's a nice balance of what is, can be... with warnings. Some good food for thought. The Transgender writing took me pleasantly by surprise.  

I now appreciate why so much info about subjects like these are buried deep, not openly discussed or eagerly taught. I sooooooooo get it. 

But it did bring to mind a snippet from my childhood... Please, don't Squeeze the Shaman...lol  (a play on words, not a misspelling)

Yeah - it ruined about 3 entire weeks for me. Some of that stuff hit me kind of hard. But of course, I have a personality flaw where I have to cling to everything I find upsetting until I can deal with it, so I ended up obsessively reading his website for days and I became quite enamored with some of that Path.

I was also very interested in the Ordeal Path. My brand of masochism is entirely asexual, which can make it tough to find a willing sadist. But getting the hell beaten out of you while you go deeper and deeper until you can't feel it any more - surprisingly cathartic. It sounds very morbid to say, but being in that much pain and being sent that deep makes me feel stronger and more whole as a person after it is done. It's hard to describe, but it's just a really amazing feeling. It makes me feel complete.

[avatar source]

#7 Wexler

Wexler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Oh yeah, regarding the book -- Neolithic Shamanism

It is I think 345 pages long. I read about a third of it yesterday after I downloaded it. It is very good, in my opinion.

Because it is a spirit-working tradition, the book is basically all about how to honor and work with the spirits of nature. There is lots of magic in it, but so far as I can see, no spellwork. The book I got styles itself as a beginner's guide for that tradition, with enough material to get the person through their first year or two of that Path. I think I agree so far that to work through all the exercises in the book would take someone about that long, if not longer.

Although the book is based around the Northern Tradition, there are no gods in this book, so it is actually quite nonreligious. It has tons of exercises I like, which are written in a very versatile and succinct manner. It basically takes a new practitioner by the hand and shows them the basics, starting with centering, grounding, shielding, talking to your house spirits, connecting with the sun and moon, working with plant spirits, and so on. I think it would be a great resource for a budding Green Witch or any new practitioner who needs to understand the basics and how to work with the animistic spirits around them.

One thing I especially like is that they put their foot down about a lot of things (the book was written by 2 shamans of that tradition, in tandem). Like, "if you don't learn how to ground and center before you try anything else, you're an idiot. Do this first or you'll regret it." Maybe not a sentiment shared by everyone, but it's cool to see an author not pussyfoot around. And, "no, you can't be a part of this path if you don't believe spirits and gods aren't real. You can't pretend they are archetypes and get away with it. Get on board or go somewhere else."

So far I would recommend it, either for complete beginners of a Green/Animistic path, or for anyone interested in the basics of the Northern Tradition. Advanced practitioners of either path may enjoy it as a light read, but I doubt they would get much from it.

Edited by Wexler, 05 August 2014 - 05:46 PM.

[avatar source]

#8 Chloe

Chloe

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Sounds like something I would enjoy reading and 10 bucks isn't bad at all.

I came across his website dedicated to Hela:

http://www.northernp...la/welcome.html

I found the essays to be really interesting. I enjoy reading about other people's experiences with the deities they work with.

#9 Heks

Heks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

I downloaded a sample on my Kindle. Will see if it resonates with my path. Thanks for sharing
"One's own house, though small, is better,
For there thou art the master.
It makes a man's heart bleed to ask
for a midday meal at the house of another."

(35 Havamal, Edda)

#10 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

I have to have to check out this site now I'm intrigued

#11 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

I just started reading one of his books, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I really appreciated how he lays out the differences between a shaman and a shaman practitioner. I also really like, as Wexler mentioned above, that he gets into the importance of actually believing in the gods and spirits you are working with. He's got an easy writing style; conversational, but not watered down.

#12 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Bit the bullet and brought this, absolutely no more books for me this year

Edited by Leighqt, 20 January 2017 - 12:03 PM.